zdld17

Starter Replacement

Good Morning Guys. I am semi new to this site. I am a First Gen subscriber with First Gen Camaro. I have a son that has 02' WS6. He is telling me there is noise coming from starter on this Ls1 motor. I have never replaced a starter on one of these but many on First Gen.

Can someone tell me if this is a straightforward task? Duck Soup? Easy?

Second is all I am finding is rebuilt starters in parts houses. Anybody done this yet themselves?

Thanks again
    Zdld17

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

easy swap. really, its cake. its just two bolts right in your face. you will laughe when you see it.

the new starters are high fucking dollar though, a rebuilt will do just fine.

zdld17

Ls1 starter replacement

I ain't laughing now,,, I went out and bought a new starter thinking that its a done deal... took old starter out,, (very easy) when I did , I noticed wear markes on the starter snout
    Ok, lets see what the dill pickle is. Cowabunga, I rotated the motor to check flywheel bolts, Whoa,, large crack in flex plate,, starter ringear split, hairline crack on second bolt area. Chemosabe? Put it all back together and get someone younger to pull trans and change it all out. Checking dealer labor this morning ( larger shop and quicker turnaround) and will be checking with local trans shop as well.. I figure about 4 Ben Franklins to do this... Looking for after market flywheel if they are not out of line. Car is a street WS6 but that dont mean anything.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

junior apparently has fun in his car

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

Aftermarket flywheel or flexplate?

Sorry to hear about that man, thats bad luck right there

-Will

zdld17
    Jr has grown up but even the old farts like to do this. It could have been historical abuse, Chemosabe? But he was on business when he told me about it and from the looks of the break,, its fresh.
    This is the stock factory plate. We are pulling trans today and replacing with another factory if the new TCI stamped design does not prove better. Suppose to be .035 thicker material. If I recall correctly these convertor bolt holes in the wheel are 'elongated?",,, From the wear on the bolt shoulder clamp surface,, My guess is that they were loose. Over time they prolly wore the hole down some and finally weakened the arear to pull thru?? These Ls1 have a super inspection plate on the bellhousing ,,, Maly be a good idea for owners just to open it and inspect and retorque each one.

Thread Information