Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Start-stop engine technology coming to a car near you

Stop-start technology automatically shuts off the engine when a driver is stuck in traffic or waiting for a red light to change. By doing so, the system can improve fuel economy up to 12 percent and contribute to a reduction in vehicle exhaust emissions. They expect that eight million vehicles in North America will be equipped with engine stop-start systems by 2017

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/sta...#ixzz23XG4qovY

Start-stop engine technology coming to a car near you - NY Daily News

What do you all think? Sounds like this could cause some issue.

1) Engines see the most wear at start-up

2) What if you were at a dead stop and needed move out of the way really fast to avoid a possible collision. You would have to wait for the car to start before you could move!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

It would last as long as it took for the ac to not work at a stop light during the summer. Kill the motor you kill the ac.

I think I'm just going to stop buying anything new anymore.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

One more thing to go wrong.

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

Stolen technology from Club Car and EZ_GO

Maybe a pre-lube system or constantly pressurized oiling would help the wear issue...

I had been hearing for a while that higher voltage electrical systems will appear someday in vehicles. Maybe that would help with a faster start....??

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Stop-start technology automatically shuts off the engine when a driver is stuck in traffic or waiting for a red light to change. By doing so, the system can improve fuel economy up to 12 percent and contribute to a reduction in vehicle exhaust emissions. They expect that eight million vehicles in North America will be equipped with engine stop-start systems by 2017

Read more: Start-stop engine technology coming to a car near you - NY Daily News

Start-stop engine technology coming to a car near you - NY Daily News

What do you all think? Sounds like this could cause some issue.

1) Engines see the most wear at start-up

2) What if you were at a dead stop and needed move out of the way really fast to avoid a possible collision. You would have to wait for the car to start before you could move!
    the GMs will kick the e assist going up hill so I imagine it'll move before its started.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    It would last as long as it took for the ac to not work at a stop light during the summer. Kill the motor you kill the ac.

Not true A/C works on hybrids when in electric mode. The compressor actually only runs off battery power

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

This has been done for years now in Europe in all kinds of cars most recognizable would be the BMW line. The have it in stick shifts and I am sure the A/C problem has already been solved. Being that it has been around for years there should be some data out there on engine wear.

Navy Blue Metallic

Europe summers can't hold a candle to Southern US summers.

I know I lived there for a few yrs.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Our Prius does this very efficiently. No problems at all. Sure it is one more thing that can go wrong but with the amount of stuff that can go wrong already on a new vehicle I do not see this as a significant "risk" since hybrids have been doing this for years...

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Our Prius does this very efficiently. No problems at all. Sure it is one more thing that can go wrong but with the amount of stuff that can go wrong already on a new vehicle I do not see this as a significant "risk" since hybrids have been doing this for years...
    When did you get said mangina?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

I have this technology in my 2007 Honda Accord Hybrid. 1) as soon as you take your foot off the brake the engine is running again. 2) The engine is already luberacated so start/stop does not hurt the engine at all. 3) The A/C runs while the engine is off, it runs off the power pack. 4) No alternator, no power steering pump, no starter motor. you have an electric assist booster between the engine and the transmission, which has no torque converter. Everything is electric. Saves gas and makes power. My 3600 lb. Accord has a 260hp V-6 and runs in the 15's at the track. I also get 35mpg and have driven 602 miles on a 16.8 gal tank. This new technology works guys. I'm old school, 51 years old and remember points and condensers, 4 wheel manual drum brakes and cars with no seat belts. But this new shit really works.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic

I'm not saying it doesn't work...just that the ones I've seen when you come to a light and that system engages the ac may still blow but the cooling aspect seem to have suffered. And at long lights the cabin air temp did rise a few degrees.

In regards to engine wear, this couldn't be any more damaging then that variable cylinder shut off tech that has been coming out for fuel economy.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I have this technology in my 2007 Honda Accord Hybrid. 1) as soon as you take your foot off the brake the engine is running again. 2) The engine is already luberacated so start/stop does not hurt the engine at all. 3) The A/C runs while the engine is off, it runs off the power pack. 4) No alternator, no power steering pump, no starter motor. you have an electric assist booster between the engine and the transmission, which has no torque converter. Everything is electric. Saves gas and makes power. My 3600 lb. Accord has a 260hp V-6 and runs in the 15's at the track. I also get 35mpg and have driven 602 miles on a 16.8 gal tank. This new technology works guys. I'm old school, 51 years old and remember points and condensers, 4 wheel manual drum brakes and cars with no seat belts. But this new shit really works.
    I dont think anyone is saying it doesn't work. Just new ideas and tech are cool to talk about and don't always lead to a better product. My cousins diesel jetta got to the mall of america and back on one tank of gas from Milwaukee the past weekend. That is just over 700 miles on a 14.5 tank. I got 484 out of my 26 gallon Silverado lol, I think I could have hit 500 but my girl was getting mad at me since my needle was long past E.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 08-14-2012 at 01:51 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

MPG's???? I fart in the general direction of your MPG's...

Navy Blue Metallic

^^

blue
    1999 TransAm

..like most stuff, the new tech is great, so long as it's somebody else who pays the price of admission first, and works the bugs out...

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    MPG's???? I fart in the general direction of your MPG's...
    Well I can't say I disagree as I DD a full size truck but if someone could keep the truck the same but add 20mpg to it I wouldn't say no. But of course that isn't possible.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    When did you get said mangina?
    My wife is a salesperson for a Toyota dealership. We got a sweet deal on a loaded 2007 Prius a couple of years back. I strongly dislike the car because it is slow, corners like crap, and is front wheel drive, but it rides decently, keeps up with traffic, has plenty of room with the hatchback, and we have averaged 52.5 mpg so it is practical for a daily driver. Plus I added a suicide knob to the steering wheel and have my NHRA member sticker on the back.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    My wife is a salesperson for a Toyota dealership. We got a sweet deal on a loaded 2007 Prius a couple of years back. I strongly dislike the car because it is slow, corners like crap, and is front wheel drive, but it rides decently, keeps up with traffic, has plenty of room with the hatchback, and we have averaged 52.5 mpg so it is practical for a daily driver. Plus I added a suicide knob to the steering wheel and have my NHRA member sticker on the back.
    I can't even imagine the thoughts that would run through my head if I saw that sticker on that car on the road. I would prob take a photo. Then, blow by you. And, I am sure you would understand. I am not hating you, nor even the car, just the attitude that a lot of people have that do own that car. You should get a sticker that says your other car has an LT-1. That would throw people for a loop.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I can't even imagine the thoughts that would run through my head if I saw that sticker on that car on the road. I would prob take a photo. Then, blow by you. And, I am sure you would understand. I am not hating you, nor even the car, just the attitude that a lot of people have that do own that car. You should get a sticker that says your other car has an LT-1. That would throw people for a loop.
    Most of them ride my ass ( when im in the slow lane on a cruise !!) and drive all fast sorry but most Prius drivers are assholes!

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Most of them ride my ass ( when im in the slow lane on a cruise !!) and drive all fast sorry but most Prius drivers are pompous assholes!
    Fixed....

Funnest post pic I saw was a Mustang that had on it's back window -

"Ever time I'm next to a Prius I give a loud rev so it knows I'm hurting the environment!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information