Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Talking Some questions, some pics, 56K take a lunch break!

Well, a few things..... First off I got my Torquer V2 camshaft in, would have the oil pump and timing cover but don't have blue loctite at the moment so it will have to wait til tomorrow. I am so excited but also nervous in a few parts that I will be asking later in this thread. 56K, go take a bath, fuck, or do whatever will take you a minute or two Here are some pics of the work today and some questions to follow after.....

First off, the last picture came out of my pickup tube. Its aluminum and decent size. We have checked everywhere and found no problems with the pan or block. When we ripped it apart, it had 60 psi oil pressure and ran great except a little lifter knock which we found out to be the lifter tray was loose and slapping against the block So I am completely stumped there, but I know metal is not good. The guy in the blue is my best friend and a mechanic, doing almost ALL the work. The guy in the hat is my ugly mug

Now, to the questions....... First off, what holds the cam in, I know the retainer plate holds it from backing out, but what holds in from going in besides the cam sprocket and chain...a little puzzled. Then the biggie besides the piece of metal......When we pulled out the old cam, we looked at the cam bearing from what we could see. The first (closest to sprocket) had a little area about 1/4 of the bearing that was rust colored, no grooves anywhere we seen but I thought it didn't look good and a worried. The motor has 76,000 and seen nothing but synthetics, had great oil psi, ran great, didn't knock (besides lifter but that was a tick, not a knock) so am I worried more then what I should be............:

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

No replies...... I am a nervous wreck about the cam bearing and the chunk of metal. I don't think the bearing was rusted because the old cam in the picture was super lubed up but I could be wrong and hopefully I am. And really puzzled on what holds the cam from recessing into the motor besides the sprocket and chain which run close to the retainer bolts

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

We are all taking a bath like you told us dammit!
    Lets see what you've got here.....
    No it aint rust it is varnish. High temp+oil=varnish. Varnish doesnt allow oil to get to the surface. AutoRX that motor. http://www.auto-rx.com/
    Who knows what that piece of metal is. I find stuff like that from time to time in motors and they run forever. Who fricking knows
    Yes the cam is held in place by the plate/sprocket/chain etc. It aint going anywhere.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Is it that motor's first rebuild? Kinda looks like that metal shard may be the cam locator pin?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    We are all taking a bath like you told us dammit!
    Lets see what you've got here.....
    No it aint rust it is varnish. High temp+oil=varnish. Varnish doesnt allow oil to get to the surface. AutoRX that motor. http://www.auto-rx.com/
    Who knows what that piece of metal is. I find stuff like that from time to time in motors and they run forever. Who fricking knows
    Yes the cam is held in place by the plate/sprocket/chain etc. It aint going anywhere.
    GOD DAMN I LOVE YOU SARGE!!! Well not that kind of love you sickos Varnish didn't even cross my mind, thats why I am on this site.....To learn I have seafoamed, but never AutoRX, I will try it instantly as soon as the motors running. One more question for the master Sarge I have a book for rebuilding the LS1/LS6/LQ4/etc... And it says to center the oil pump using a feeler gauge. The oil pump they show is ripped apart tho, where mine is a fully assembled Lingenfelter. Do I still have to center it or just plug and play? Thanks big time again And to the other poster, this is the first time this motor has been tore apart. Every part we have taken off, has been completely intact.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Welp, looks like problem is solved. TIME TO BUILD.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hell I installed a Lingenfelter oil pump in the 408 Stroker....I just plugged that sum bitch in there. That was 4 years ago I do put some Vaseline on the O-Ring though. I'm superstitious

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Welp, looks like problem is solved. TIME TO BUILD.
    After visiting the AutoRX site, it does look to be varnish, and the metal could have been there since day one so I am less worried. Torquer V2 down today, oil pump, timing chain and oil pan/timing cover tomorrow I am on my way boys and girls. 9 months without a F-Body is hell, let me tell you

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Hell I installed a Lingenfelter oil pump in the 408 Stroker....I just plugged that sum bitch in there. That was 4 years ago I do put some Vaseline on the O-Ring though. I'm superstitious
    NOT superstitious. Old fashioned. When I was in high school, we had an autoshop class. My teacher always told us when replacing oil pump, put Vaseline on the O-ring. Same with fuel injector O-rings.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I put some oil on it but now it has to come off to loctite. Its brand new so I think it won't be a problem removing it, I will check it for being crimped but only being installed for less then 24 hours shouldn't hurt it. I wish I would have read a little more and remembered the loctite before hand, I'm a

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And that hunk of metal looks like a piece of the pickup tube. Many times in the manufacturing process there will be a little lip on there left over from the stamping/folding process. Eventually it will fall off (the imperfection) and it is too heavy to be carried to the oil filter and just lays there. Lots of times folks will find it by draining the oil or a oil plug magnet will pick it up and they all freak out. Aint nothing man....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    After visiting the AutoRX site, it does look to be varnish, and the metal could have been there since day one so I am less worried. Torquer V2 down today, oil pump, timing chain and oil pan/timing cover tomorrow I am on my way boys and girls. 9 months without a F-Body is hell, let me tell you
    HUH??!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I put some oil on it but now it has to come off to loctite. Its brand new so I think it won't be a problem removing it, I will check it for being crimped but only being installed for less then 24 hours shouldn't hurt it. I wish I would have read a little more and remembered the loctite before hand, I'm a
    LOL...no son your hot rodding.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I will put vasoline on it tomorrow when we pull the pump and re-install the oil pump. I have plenty for those cold, lonely nights that the GF doesn't want to put out Here are some more pics, parents dogs (Sweetie/Big tongue and Princess/Little Shit) and their pond thrown into the mix. Who said Nitro was the only pic master, DO YOU ALL SEE THAT TONGUE, SHE'S MAKING FUN OF US!!!

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Does it have a mechanical chain tensioner on the cam chain?

And btw, who the FUCK has 56k anymore, seriously.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

i'd worry about that metal if you found multiple pieces of it. When bearings go bad they leave a lot of metal and the oil will be metallic. If you had like 20 psi oil pressure at WOT i'd worry. But 60 psi is more then enough

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

And yup everyone, it has been 9 months since I have rode or drove a F-Body. LSX or LT1 powered. Going through withdrawls Have to re-learn it with all the added power

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Does it have a mechanical chain tensioner on the cam chain?

And btw, who the FUCK has 56k anymore, seriously.
    pushrod engines dont have chain tensioners chief

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    i'd worry about that metal if you found multiple pieces of it. When bearings go bad they leave a lot of metal and the oil will be metallic. If you had like 20 psi oil pressure at WOT i'd worry. But 60 psi is more then enough
    Nope, just that piece, the rest of the pan was spotless, no sludge, no metal, no nothing. You could eat off of it besides the oil residue. And it was 60 PSI at idle, 80 PSI punched.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

never put anything in dry lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information