Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    99 Firebird Formula

Some new pictures!!

Now that our shitty roommate is gone

I finally got around to some projects. My house is all white and kinda boring...been here 3 years and it still kind of has that 'moving in' look to it (partially because I'm too poor for nice furniture etc lol). Also another challenge, the house has vaulted ceilings and is very open, so all of the rooms kinda run together. Now finally the kitchen is its own entity...I painted it blue with a border, super-cleaned everything, got a new rug too.

I think it turned out really well.

The other problem was the room my roommate left. It was disgusting. The carpet was a mess, there were so many gross stains everywhere. Basically it was like these two pictures, but everywhere:

There were about 1,000 holes in the walls too, from where he used pushpins or nails or some other bullshit. I spent a good part of the day just spackling & sanding to fix the drywall. The room is kind of small, so I turned it into an office for my bf's business.

Of course the colors look much better in person.

In the process:

Note the shitty carpet (yuck). I also couldn't find the closet doors, I have no idea where they went. I bought curtains for the meantime. They match better in person, for some reason the camera makes them look super-olive.

I chose this border to bring the two colors together. I just wanted to paint the room one color, but the bf disagreed vehemently. Oh well, I choose my battles wisely...so I went ahead and did it his way, with the border. It looked good in the end.

We rented a $25 Rug Doctor from Lowe's. HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend it. It did wonders for the room.

Now I have hemmed the curtains to fit. The only thing remaining is the little things (changing almond switches to white switches).

I'm exhausted, this has turned into a weeklong ordeal. I have been to Lowe's more times in one week than I care to count

My next challenge is my bedroom. It is very large with vaulted ceilings. It looks very 'young'....i.e. there are photos, car posters, etc just kind of strewn about the walls. I'm going to try to make it look more adult, but still somehow retain my interests.

Color suggestions for the bedroom?

p.s. its funny how the room looks like 10 different shades of green in a 5 minute span of taking pix!

99 Firebird Formula

Oh, also...I'm super excited about the laser level I bought today. It was $17 at Lowe's and then when I checked out I found out it had a $10 rebate....score!!

forest green
    1994 Firehawk

change

wow, good job. How is NC doing, my wife is from shelby.

'57,'63,'70,'91,'01

Cool. Restoring the house is like fixing up a car in some ways! Its amazing what paint can do!

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 1badchicken
    wow, good job. How is NC doing, my wife is from shelby.
    It was cold and rainy today, which made me angry because I wanted to go to the track.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Nice work! I love working on a house

BIGRED Z
    Bedroom suggestions:

Depends on the mood you're going for. Reds and purples are for romance for example, but here's a link to the experts.
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_design_c...V_3368,00.html

Good luck and let us see how it turns out.

Lori

Door-To-Door Pipelayer DJ Red Barron's Avatar

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

Looks great Kali.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

snappin, girl...looks nice...is that border just a wall paper or something? b/c from the pix it looks like lots n lots n LOTS of little tiny tiles?!

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Looks great I feel your pain about fixing holes and painting. Just bought a 2 year old house and had to get rid of the tan walls. Lots of painting but very rewarding.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    snappin, girl...looks nice...is that border just a wall paper or something? b/c from the pix it looks like lots n lots n LOTS of little tiny tiles?!
    Yeah isn't that neat? It's made to be like a mosaic, it is textured as well so it looks almost real. It's just a regular paper/foam-ish border though. Amidst all of the roses/flowers/etc borders I saw that and knew right away I wanted it.

Aww man! I was expecting pics of you posing in super-short shorts or a mini skirt straddling a motorcycle or something.

I must have confused you with someone else.
    Last edited by BillyT; 01-23-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT
    Aww man! I was expecting pics of you posing in super-short shorts or a mini skirt straddling a motorcycle or something.

I must have confused you with someone else.
    i was just last night lamenting the fact that there are too many pics on here of pretty girls and not near enough from www.gayinteriordecorator.com

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by INandOUTBurger
    i was just last night lamenting the fact that there are too many pics on here of pretty girls and not near enough from www.gayinteriordecorator.com
    HAHAHAHHAHA

awww me... i clicked the link thinking it had something to do with your post and then i actually read it...that was only when it finally opened up as a false page....LOl...good stuff.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    p.s. its funny how the room looks like 10 different shades of green in a 5 minute span of taking pix!
    that's the "white balance" on the camera...look through your options/menu items, see if you have an "indoor/outdoor" option...set accordingly:

"indoor" shifts the hues to more blue/greens
    "outdoor" shifts the hues to more red/yellows

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by INandOUTBurger

Well, what can I say. I am just more interested in posting photographs of things I have worked on/fixed/created than photos of myself.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    that's the "white balance" on the camera...look through your options/menu items, see if you have an "indoor/outdoor" option...set accordingly:

"indoor" shifts the hues to more blue/greens
    "outdoor" shifts the hues to more red/yellows
    excellent, learn something new everyday

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Wow, that looks amazing.

Today I went with my GF to look at a Condo for sale. They want $135,000 for it. Its 2 bedrooms with 900sqft. Good Lord that place needs a major restoration. The Floors need to be completely redone. The so called hardwood floors are rotting.

The kitchen is missing cabinet doors. 2 doors are missing and the rest of them are about to fall off. The previous owners placed the Fridge directly accrose the stove.....and the kitchen is not that big. If you are cooking and another person opens the fridge, your ass is going to fly out the window.

The Master bedroom has the cheapest carpet money could buy at by looks of it, it maybe over 20 years old.

The bathroom has a hole in the wall. I fricking tile came off in the wall and now I can see the insted of the wall. The damn Toilet is crooked. The floor tiles are all craked.

And Finaly every wall needs to be painted. I have no idea how much it will cost me to fix it up.....maybe $5000 not counting the furniture? I am not even sure if its even worth the fix up.

How much did your kitchen and bedroom cost you?

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by FSANE
    Wow, that looks amazing.

Today I went with my GF to look at a Condo for sale. They want $135,000 for it. Its 2 bedrooms with 900sqft. Good Lord that place needs a major restoration. The Floors need to be completely redone. The so called hardwood floors are rotting.

The kitchen is missing cabinet doors. 2 doors are missing and the rest of them are about to fall off. The previous owners placed the Fridge directly accrose the stove.....and the kitchen is not that big. If you are cooking and another person opens the fridge, your ass is going to fly out the window.

The Master bedroom has the cheapest carpet money could buy at by looks of it, it maybe over 20 years old.

The bathroom has a hole in the wall. I fricking tile came off in the wall and now I can see the insted of the wall. The damn Toilet is crooked. The floor tiles are all craked.

And Finaly every wall needs to be painted. I have no idea how much it will cost me to fix it up.....maybe $5000 not counting the furniture? I am not even sure if its even worth the fix up.

How much did your kitchen and bedroom cost you?

Hmm it's hard to say without seeing the condo how much money and work would be involved. Obviously you can save a crapload by doing the work yourself. It does sound like quite the fixer upper...

Luckily for me my cabinets & floors were okay, they just needed a good cleaning.

I probably spent around $250ish for the kitchen and the office. That's 3 gallons (~$65) and 2 quarts of paint ($25), 2 area rugs ($110 total), painting supplies (~$30) such as rollers, trays, brushes, tape, laser level ($15), curtains for the closet doors ($20), border for office ($24), border for kitchen ($24), new switchplate covers ($~15), new white switches and outlets ($20) and a few odd things here and there.

Doing the labor myself probably saved a good $300-$400 considering I did a lot of painting and repairing the drywalls.

You should probably go to Lowe's/HomeDepot and price out some new cabinets, flooring, etc. Carpet is pretty affordable but I've never priced out kitchen flooring or cabinets. I don't know how handy you are or how much you can install...to me the struggle in doing it yourself is worth it when all possible. They really hire some good people there - I got a lot of great advice.

I'm going to do my bedroom/bathroom next, which will probably run another $200-$300. It's a lot more area to paint so I'm going to wait a month or so before I can summon up the energy!!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Wow you did a great job...looks very professional BTW roommates suck....just incase you haven't figured that out yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information