Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

So is the Nissan skyline as good as the import guys say?

Had a import guy at work preaching the skyline gospel the other day, as the worlds greatest car lol, your opinions on this? has anybody actually raced one?

Silver
    99 Chrysler 300M

nope cant say i have

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    Had a import guy at work preaching the skyline gospel the other day, as the worlds greatest car lol, your opinions on this? has anybody actually raced one?
    Rumors/stereotypes/incoherent ramblings/etc. usually have some basis in reality. I've never raced one, but I'd imagine that they are capable automobiles.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I remember a long while ago Sport Compact Car did a head-to-head between the Acura NSX and the Nissan Skyline (they were both in the 80k$ range) and they described the Skyline as being a "ballistic refrigerator"

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

The skyline is indeed one hell of a car. The amount of power the RB26DETT engine can handle is simply awesome. In Japan it is common for tuner companies to build 9 second Skyline streetcars that will still top out around 200mph. They are not an automobile legend for no reason. As for finding someone who has raced one good luck. We're not in Fast and the furious here. Skylines are extremely expensive to import and federalize. Most guys that own them aren't street racing against F-bodies.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I think they are over-rated...at least in the sense that they are a 'god' to the tuner crowd.
    They aren't all that light, most of them aren't that durable.
    Made popular by a movie.
    Overseas, they aren't the first choice. I even know of owners that say that.

That said, there are a few Skyline models that have GREAT potential.

Awaiting Activation
    a guys who owns a ricer performance shop in my nieghborhood owns one. I don't think its legalized at all because i've never seen him drive it. But all the ricers say that its sick as hell. For once i can't disagree with them - his car is one sweet looking ride.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

it's got to be one of the ugliest things i've ever seen...looks like an angry fetus. atleast f/y/z bodies have some god damn style to them

White
    1998 Trans Am

yeah, its a bitch getting them legalized over here, there is only one or two companies that do it and they charge an ass ton.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Motorex is the only way to do it as far as i know and it damn sure isn't worth it unless your rich. Funny thing is in Japan they are pretty cheap.

NBM
    99 TA

I have ridden in an early 90s skyline gt-r... thing was a fuckin rattle can.
    it was pretty fast though! I would never desire to own one. If i ever buy an import it will be a tt supra

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

I got a buddy that was stationed in Japan and he said that F-bodies were idolized over there like Skylines are here. He also told me that straight up ours are quicker.
    98 Formula M6, Hurst Billet Shifter, Zr-1 Wheels, Eibach Pro-Kit,
    BMR Lower Trailing Arms, Adjustible Panhard Bar

Custom Tune with Speed Density, 918's, Manly Pushrods
    400 Cam (.226/.226 .591/.591),Ported oil Pump
    Pacesetter LT's/ORY, Magnaflow Catback.

I have a friend that owns a Nissan Sylvia that his grandfather bought for him, it was a nice car till he wrecked it four days after getting it. Never give a $30,000 to a 18 year old kid that does not appriecate it enough to learn how to drive it. He had to buy new fenders, bumper and have the frame straightened. I never want to own a car that you can not buy parts for in the United States, and have to have frame specs ordered sent via the internet from Japan division on Nissan.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Theres a fat guy that owns a R33 Skyline, he drags it on the weekends. I don't know if its AWD or not, its the body style before the last real skyline IE not the G35/Z clone. Hes never busted out of the 14s but I've never seen him even spin the tires on it so I guess I'll never know. he claims its modded and looks the part but he is tight lipped about it. The fasted import at our dragstrip is a 2jZ powered 80's Celica/Surpa, low 11s and it looks like a HUGE peice of shit.

i live in minnesota and some kid got one for graduation. anyway he thiks its just the fastest thing on the road, only mods are 2 blue pep boys special air filters, and a HUGE can.... and he got beat pretty bad by a turbo honda, and a GTO.. so in my opinion, i think they are a BIG waste of money, heavy, and slow.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

So is the Nissan skyline as good as the import guys say?
    Yes.

black 95 Z28 sold
    00 Sliver SS #2389

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    The skyline is indeed one hell of a car. The amount of power the RB26DETT engine can handle is simply awesome. In Japan it is common for tuner companies to build 9 second Skyline streetcars that will still top out around 200mph. They are not an automobile legend for no reason. As for finding someone who has raced one good luck. We're not in Fast and the furious here. Skylines are extremely expensive to import and federalize. Most guys that own them aren't street racing against F-bodies.
    this is true .... it depends on what year you want , but the price i saw for one to be legal in the states was around 130k (thats for the awd r34 ) But you can buy one and have it imported what ever the price it is and when it comes through customs you can say its for dragstrip use only. then get a 240sx swap the vin #s ....most cops wont even know . cause you can say you did a right side conversion on a 240.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

ROFL @ this thread.

Yea, pretty much, they are exactly as bad-ass as everyone says they are. And I don't mean stock... their redeeming quality is how moddable they are. The blocks will take 600hp(without a build), rev to all hell, and the AWD system on the car is basicly the most bulletproof one to come on a production car.

@ people on this forum bitching about how heavy they are. Heavy? Yea, but its going to have an advantage on a road course, and at the strip. Having 4 wheels putting that power down is a wonderful thing.

Basicly all this is moot in the USA though.... because the cost of gettin that bitch makes it a waste. Oh well, an R34 GTR is still up there on my dreamcar list...

White
    VX SS 400 Twin Turbo

I had a GTS4 and it was very fast in NZ. awesome cars and they haul ass. My mate has a godzilla with 350kw at all 4 wheels. Next best thing to a V8 imo

whenwillthislifegetbetter slim420832002's Avatar

black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    a guys who owns a ricer performance shop in my nieghborhood owns one. I don't think its legalized at all because i've never seen him drive it. But all the ricers say that its sick as hell. For once i can't disagree with them - his car is one sweet looking ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by NE98LS1 View Post
    yeah, its a bitch getting them legalized over here, there is only one or two companies that do it and they charge an ass ton.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Motorex is the only way to do it as far as i know and it damn sure isn't worth it unless your rich. Funny thing is in Japan they are pretty cheap.
    there is no company that will legalize them anymore. motorex is shut down and it was all over the news cuz a whole bunch of ppl got screwed on there cars
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN95 View Post
    this is true .... it depends on what year you want , but the price i saw for one to be legal in the states was around 130k (thats for the awd r34 ) But you can buy one and have it imported what ever the price it is and when it comes through customs you can say its for dragstrip use only. then get a 240sx swap the vin #s ....most cops wont even know . cause you can say you did a right side conversion on a 240.
    yeah nice try try and get that thing imported off a ship aint gonna work and swap the vin #'s thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard. go ahead and insure a 240 that might be able to get $10k if u totalled it fully modded as opposed u just pizzed down the drain well over $100k. u can buy the ones already legalized. right now u can only legalize like a r32 and r33 in like the years on 92-93 and thats it
    Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    ROFL @ this thread.

Yea, pretty much, they are exactly as bad-ass as everyone says they are. And I don't mean stock... their redeeming quality is how moddable they are. The blocks will take 600hp(without a build), rev to all hell, and the AWD system on the car is basicly the most bulletproof one to come on a production car.

@ people on this forum bitching about how heavy they are. Heavy? Yea, but its going to have an advantage on a road course, and at the strip. Having 4 wheels putting that power down is a wonderful thing.

Basicly all this is moot in the USA though.... because the cost of gettin that bitch makes it a waste. Oh well, an R34 GTR is still up there on my dreamcar list...
    um for one thing skyline owners if they r gonna drag it they convert it to 2 wheel drive. not sayin there arent awd that run a lot of power. and a bulletproof awd system where do u get ur info kid. its just as good as a tsi or gsx or evo. dont try and act like u know it all ive done lots of research on this car. can they withstand 1500hp with a fully modded motor yes its been done. can the stock block handle 600hp hell no. its a boosted car. what happens when u add 300+HP to a stock motor. BOOM after a couple runs. do some research. dont try to fool ppl

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information