Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

So my problem turns into enjoyment!!!

So my valve tick (lifter) on my SS pissed me off. So I put it into storage this year already with only 3,200 miles this year. My buddy and myself start ripping it apart and get the intake off. Now I am planning on LS6 stage 3 heads, custom grind cam, LS7 lifters, pushrods, double roller timing chain, and ported LS6 oil pump with gaskets all around to boot and tune. Well I decide to check into the whole LS6 block thing, and write down the number on the backside of the motor. Now when I hit the internet I come to find out that I have a LS6 block which is sweet as all hell. Granted it doesn't make anymore power or such, but it is a better block and more rare of a car. Its good I can still find happiness within the pain blowing alot of money. So for the moment, I am happy.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Nice...especially with your maro being an 01. What's the percentage for the 01's...like 10%?

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    So my valve tick (lifter) on my SS pissed me off. So I put it into storage this year already with only 3,200 miles this year. My buddy and myself start ripping it apart and get the intake off. Now I am planning on LS6 stage 3 heads, custom grind cam, LS7 lifters, pushrods, double roller timing chain, and ported LS6 oil pump with gaskets all around to boot and tune. Well I decide to check into the whole LS6 block thing, and write down the number on the backside of the motor. Now when I hit the internet I come to find out that I have a LS6 block which is sweet as all hell. Granted it doesn't make anymore power or such, but it is a better block and more rare of a car. Its good I can still find happiness within the pain blowing alot of money. So for the moment, I am happy.
    might make you feal a little better as the ls6 blocks do make more power than the ls1 blocks to the tune of 10-15 hp more. Why you might ask, it has to do with the oil "windows" in the crank area between the cylinders wich allows the oil/air pressure build up in that area to move more freely throught the block.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

So I have been thinking about this. I have broke the numbers down and there was 1,3XX or so of my car built. 10% get the block, that means 130 of my cars exsist (spell?) What would happen if I get the build number from SLP and my car turns out to be the first F-Body ever with a LS6 for the generation. Wouldn't that make my car worth mega bucks to a collector or GM or SLP as a buy back. Granted my odds are 1:639 but those are great odds for a lot of money. Its just thinking at the moment, I am going to call SLP tomorrow and look more into it. Either way I am quite happy at the moment.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Good news.

What 'stage 3' heads are you getting? Most of the III heads are valved too big for the stock bore.

Although the LS6 block makes the car worth no more or no less.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Good news.

What 'stage 3' heads are you getting? Most of the III heads are valved too big for the stock bore.

Although the LS6 block makes the car worth no more or no less.
    Agreed, didnt think stage III heads would work on a stock cubed ls1/6.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by LS1WS6 View Post
    might make you feal a little better as the ls6 blocks do make more power than the ls1 blocks to the tune of 10-15 hp more. Why you might ask, it has to do with the oil "windows" in the crank area between the cylinders wich allows the oil/air pressure build up in that area to move more freely throught the block.
    crock-o-shit

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    crock-o-shit
    ding ding.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Well, we have the intake, right side header, valve covers, water pump, and all that cool shit off. My heads are super clean, and so are all my intake valves, which is a good thing. Didn't know Stage 3 wouldn't fit, that sucks, now I have to find a different head that isn't too expensive. I am shooting for around 450 rwhp. I am thinking, electric water pump and such, along with all the other goodies. I would like 450 rwhp with decent street drivability. I have been waiting for a long time to do this, but never thought it would come so fast and at this time, for this reason. Oh well.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i hav ea LS6 block also...

good find...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Now we have the head off and have a massive question. The driver side lifter area has those plastic cases over the lifters. My front driver side is loose as all hell. I can move it around and slap the block with the play in the case on top of lifters, is that normal???? I would think its supose to be tight but not cranked. Any info??

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Might be the ticking.

Is the bolt that holds the lifter tray loose as well? Should be 22 ft/pounds if I recall.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Thats what I am thinking, Mr. Luos. Hoping anyway. I really don't think that much play is normal, considering the other one is tighter. Still have it this far apart, going to pull lifters and such. That would be nice if that was just my problem. Going to get the other head off tomorrow and check that side.

Thread Information