Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So my mom's two rescue Pits got into a fight yesterday...

Who in here owns Pit Bulls? My mom adopted a female rescue Pit last December. Fast forward to earlier this summer, she adopted another rescue Pit who has been on his own all winter, essentially living in a cemetery in -17 weather in upstate NY. From my point of view, what happened yesterday was a long time in coming. I've heard both sides of the argument, including my mom who has stated "it's not the breed, it's the owner" etc.

Well, my mom was in the kitchen standing at the sink with the dogs on either side of her. She doesn't know who started it, and heard a slight whine before the carnage ensued. She did look down and saw the one dog's lip quivering but was not able to react fast enough. The fight started in the kitchen, continued into the living room and eventually spilled outside. I was told that blood went everywhere- on the floors, walls, etc. She was slipping on it trying to break them up. It was so bad that she hit them with a frying pan, and when that didn't work finally brought a hose in from outside. That made them run out the door where it continued in the back yard.

According to my mom this went on for 15 minutes, and she's never witnessed anything like it in her life. Both dogs were scared/traumatized with the male (Obie) shaking uncontrollably and entering a catatonic state/shutting down. The female, Dixie, who is also the dominant one- ran away and could not be found for a few hours. She took Obie to the vet, where he was kept over night. He was bitten so badly that the vet had to put a drain in one of the wounds. Dixie was later found under the rear deck. She never made a sound when everyone was searching for her. To get her out, the fire department had to come and use an inflatable rescue device to lift up the deck. Upon going inside she urinated blood. From what I understand she was taken to the vet's this morning.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sorry to hear that. Hope they both make it out OK. That breed is extremely tough and fighters (not in the actual sense, unless trained to do so).

I rescued an American Pit Bull Terrier in Oct. of 2010 and she was only around 7 weeks old when I got her so I've had her her entire adult life. She has never, ever been even slightly aggressive with anyone or any other dogs.

However, when you get two dogs together living in the same household....it quickly can become an issue with any dog breed. It's called jealousy and establishing the Alpha role. Especially if one dog was already in the home and has established it as THEIR home.

The same exact thing happened at my parents house with their Beagle and German Shepherd. They had the Beagle first and later got the Shepherd. They were together for some time when out of nowhere one day the Beagle got aggressive and lost the battle. I'm glad I was not home to witness it, but the German Shepherd ended up getting ahold of the Beagle's neck and Dixie (the Beagle) bled to death right outside the back door on the deck.

I wouldn't have categorized either as aggressive until that day. The GS had went through obedience training and was very well behaved, but also very protective of our entire family. More-so than the Beagle.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've always had only one dog at a time. Only way I would have 2 was if they came together at the same time and as puppies. That way they work out the alpha roles and not kill each other like they can at the adult stage.

Never had pit bulls nor do I want one. Sorry I don't trust the breed. Like all popular breeds they've gotten to a point that they have been over breaded and issues like temperament become more common.

Rescue dogs even more so. I've had 2. One was sorta aggressive but after some work she settle down. The other was a push over, loud noises scared the hell out of him. So much so that he'd almost piss every time. He was the pure mutt breed. Couldn't figure out what he had in him.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Some friends I know have 2 rescue Greyhounds (they're really lazy), a rescue GS (all males and nominally hers) and the 1st dog they had, a female Pomeranian (his since 6 weeks old). The dogs all live downstairs. They also have 3 cats (they live upstairs mostly). None of the pets are aggressive with any of the others.

Guess which one is the Alpha dog?
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The small one, obviously lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^^this

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    Who in here owns Pit Bulls? My mom adopted a female rescue Pit last December. Fast forward to earlier this summer, she adopted another rescue Pit who has been on his own all winter, essentially living in a cemetery in -17 weather in upstate NY. From my point of view, what happened yesterday was a long time in coming. I've heard both sides of the argument, including my mom who has stated "it's not the breed, it's the owner" etc.

Well, my mom was in the kitchen standing at the sink with the dogs on either side of her. She doesn't know who started it, and heard a slight whine before the carnage ensued. She did look down and saw the one dog's lip quivering but was not able to react fast enough. The fight started in the kitchen, continued into the living room and eventually spilled outside. I was told that blood went everywhere- on the floors, walls, etc. She was slipping on it trying to break them up. It was so bad that she hit them with a frying pan, and when that didn't work finally brought a hose in from outside. That made them run out the door where it continued in the back yard.

According to my mom this went on for 15 minutes, and she's never witnessed anything like it in her life. Both dogs were scared/traumatized with the male (Obie) shaking uncontrollably and entering a catatonic state/shutting down. The female, Dixie, who is also the dominant one- ran away and could not be found for a few hours. She took Obie to the vet, where he was kept over night. He was bitten so badly that the vet had to put a drain in one of the wounds. Dixie was later found under the rear deck. She never made a sound when everyone was searching for her. To get her out, the fire department had to come and use an inflatable rescue device to lift up the deck. Upon going inside she urinated blood. From what I understand she was taken to the vet's this morning.
    I'm not going to say that either one of those dogs should be put down (and I'm not a fan of pitts), but clearly they cant be trusted to live together. Your Mom's safety is paramount here, and there's a good chance of her getting injured if something like that happens again. I commend your mom for adopting rescue dogs, but two rescue pitts is a roll of the dice. Most households with more than one dog, the dogs will figure out a pecking order, with some spats being possible. This sounds like it was an all out bloodbath though, and likely to happen again. There is a lot of latent aggression in that breed, as is evidenced by so many stories that start from the pitt owner saying "the dog never harmed anything or anybody" until the one day the dog just let loose and mauled someone. Training is key, but there's no denying that some breeds are a bigger risk than others

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

My SPCA red nose only gets aggressive to crickets and spider crickets She's usually very calm and friendly to other dogs. She'll get snapped at by another dog and won't retaliate more than barking. It all depends on the dog the environment raised in and breeding. Last one I know nothing about my dog's past aside from she was surrendered about a week before we adopted her
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

I had been leery from the beginning, but kept my mouth shut. The female rescue, Dixie, came from my aunt (mom's sister)..who for lack of better words is a bit wacked when it comes to animals. So is her daughter. PETA nut jobs, etc...all that bullshit. My mom is not that way at all, just happens to have a big heart, however in my opinion can be a bit naïve. I didn't feel like getting into a verbal confrontation with everyone, so silently maintained the viewpoint of "we'll see what happens."

Before this occurred, my mom had talked about stopping at my place in VA on her way down to her other house in NC for Thanksgiving with her husband/dogs/etc. I think the better idea is to leave one of them in a kennel and keep the other in a cage while at my place. I told her straight up that if a fight like that occurs in my home, one if not both of those dogs will likely end up shot. I'm not having it.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    I had been leery from the beginning, but kept my mouth shut. The female rescue, Dixie, came from my aunt (mom's sister)..who for lack of better words is a bit wacked when it comes to animals. So is her daughter. PETA nut jobs, etc...all that bullshit. My mom is not that way at all, just happens to have a big heart, however in my opinion can be a bit naïve. I didn't feel like getting into a verbal confrontation with everyone, so silently maintained the viewpoint of "we'll see what happens."

Before this occurred, my mom had talked about stopping at my place in VA on her way down to her other house in NC for Thanksgiving with her husband/dogs/etc. I think the better idea is to leave one of them in a kennel and keep the other in a cage while at my place. I told her straight up that if a fight like that occurs in my home, one if not both of those dogs will likely end up shot. I'm not having it.
    It seems to me that maybe there was some pent up aggression between the two for it to escalate like it did. I don't know the breed, I just know of what I hear from word of mouth etc about the breed, but was your mom cooking something at the time? Maybe one is food dominant and thought the other was getting special treatment? Either way, if your mom is too naïve as you say maybe it will take you to convince her that next time it could be her stuck in that dogs mouth and not the other one.....

Black
    2001 Ws6

Just make sure your mom is safe I have seen to many times where a fight breaks out and the own jumps in and both dogs attack said owner. I have had dogs my whole life ( to be nice over 20 years as a pet owner) I see my English Bulldogs as my kids and their temperament is truly amazing. Beyond friendly just happy bullies... Anyone can pull food out of their mouths as they eat. At the dog park other dogs would pick on my bullies I would than leave because they are just sweet.

My wife's cousin had 2 pit bulls a blue nose and a pink nose both males. Busta my main bully would go after both pit bulls. It would scare me because I know what pits can do ( I was attacked by a pit bull at to different points in my life and still have the The scars ) busta would try and bite their hind legs and really go after their ears, thank God the pits would always just run away from him. But my bullies just had a thing with pits I never showed fear or anything I would play with them a lot of roughhousing and nothing the two pits where rised right so if your mom didn't rise the pits be-careful female pits are way better fighters and can easily hide Aggression and are a lot worse than the male pits....pits can easily kill a person. if ever attacked hit them in the front of nose ...it worked for me 2 times
    Last edited by War Theory; 10-01-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Black
    2001 Ws6

Gray/ White

Any dog can kill a person...

Black
    2001 Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Any dog can kill a person...
    Not really ....a pug? a Chihuahua? A Frenchy? A Yorky? Maltese? mini pincher? I can go on.....if one of these dogs can kill you ...wow please don't go out side. I heard a jack- russel was looking for you.....

Some dogs can kill a person but Pitbulls have one of the strongest jaw muscles and when you add their lock-jaw plus compact size there are maybe half a Hand full of dogs that can do the damage they can do in almost no time.... Look it up

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by War Theory View Post
    Not really ....a pug? a Chihuahua? A Frenchy? A Yorky? Maltese? mini pincher? I can go on.....if one of these dogs can kill you ...wow please don't go out side. I heard a jack- russel was looking for you.....

Some dogs can kill a person but Pitbulls have one of the strongest jaw muscles and when you add their lock-jaw plus compact size there are maybe half a Hand full of dogs that can do the damage they can do in almost no time.... Look it up
    Pit bull's do not have any stronger jaws than your bullies. Rottweiler on the other hand have stronger jaws muscles than any other breed. Pit bulls can't lock their jaws either they just refuse to let go due to some jackass telling them good dog for said behavior. Stop reading dogbite.org. Only possible thing a pit bull is genetically guilty of is loyalty to their humans
    Pomeranians have killed before so just drop it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

German Shepherds are ranked 2nd in bite strength. I'm a dog expert too....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Btw...and for the record, the power of the bite is proportional to the size of the jaws and the jaw muscles. There is no anatomical structure that could be a locking mechanism in any dog, period.

There is no accurate statistical data on dog bites either. There is nothing in place to track dog bites in the US accurately. Many dog bites are never reported to authorities. Dog bite statistics are nothing more than an estimate of incidents within a community. These reports in no way represent statistical data of bites for several reasons:

1) The reports will inevitably show popular large breed dogs as the problem. This is to be expected since large breeds can do more damage if they bite and due to popularity of certain breeds they have more individuals that could bite.

2) There is no report that shows an analysis by breed, of population verses bites. To have an accurate statistical representation this has to be part of the analysis. Ten attacks by a Doberman relative to a total population of 10 dogs implies a different risk than 10 attacks by a Labrador relative to a population of 1000 dogs.

3) Breed identification is often inaccurate with mixed breeds often identified as purebred. In many instances the identification is made by the victim or witnesses who are not trained in canine breeds or identification. Pit Bull identification is even less accurate than for other breeds like Dalmatians, Siberian Huskies, etc. Pit bull is not a breed. It’s a term used to group together a minimum of three different breeds of dog. In fact, there are 25+ breeds that look like a 'pit bull' and are commonly identified incorrectly.

The true number of bites isn’t known as many dog bites are not reported.

The number of dogs, by breed, in any given area is unknown. Rarely, are all dogs in an area properly licensed with the city/county.

Therefore, there is no accurate way to determine statistics when all the factors are unknown or inaccurate. Often, reports don’t consider multiple incidents by the same dog.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 10-01-2015 at 06:47 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_...ported_in_2015

start at 2015 and go backwards......then tell me if you don't see a pattern. These threads are always puzzling to me and it's one of the reasons that we have so many issues with pits. People are so quick to defend the whole breed because of their own dog they find ways to justify a losing argument. Pits, by far, have the most capability and tendency to kill a person above all other breeds. Pits come nowhere close to being the most popular dog in the country yet they dominate the list of dogs that kill. So compare a pit to a lab, rott, shepherd, ect ect but then read the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Black
    2001 Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Pit bull's do not have any stronger jaws than your bullies. Rottweiler on the other hand have stronger jaws muscles than any other breed. Pit bulls can't lock their jaws either they just refuse to let go due to some jackass telling them good dog for said behavior. Stop reading dogbite.org. Only possible thing a pit bull is genetically guilty of is loyalty to their humans
    Pomeranians have killed before so just drop it
    I don't troll the net for info like you, I am talking About things I have seen first hand. This guys mom could have gotten hurt and you clearly missed the point. I know about 8 pit bulls who turned on their owner. Not counting the attacks on other dogs or people..... But some pits are great ....

You made a asinine statement.
    and for the record I never ever said I was a expert.

did you read what I wrote...lol
    Can you read??? I'll type slow so you may understand .....

I said "pit bulls have one of the strongest jaws muscles..." I didn't say they had the strongest...read before you write kid....

Than....

" Maybe half a handful of dogs that can do the damage they can do" so a GS and a Rotty have the same bite....like I said... A handfuls of dogs.....

Maybe just maybe the over breeding of pits is the problem sometimes they just come out bad some come out good ......to say it's the loyalty aspect to the owner is another silly thing you came up with....all breeds and dogs are different my wife's cousins pitbulls are great because of the breeding line and luck.....so stop being silly...

As far as lock-jaw I never googled it till now so I'm 4 out 5 ...and I saw a pitbull bite into a guy's leg and than a cop had to brain him to make the pit let go. I was 19 and saw everything from the train platform on the J line at Broadway junction I couldn't help but I know they cop saved that man's life....
    For the future once again you shouldn't make asinine statements don't say all when clearly that's incorrect.... Say some, half, even a few, but all? Really? All dogs can kill???? I've always just always had a lot of dogs in my life .....so now please excuse me I have to go walk your mother ....

Lmao I Kidd I Kidd night all....but really read next time ok
    Last edited by War Theory; 10-01-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Black
    2001 Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_...ported_in_2015

start at 2015 and go backwards......then tell me if you don't see a pattern. These threads are always puzzling to me and it's one of the reasons that we have so many issues with pits. People are so quick to defend the whole breed because of their own dog they find ways to justify a losing argument. Pits, by far, have the most capability and tendency to kill a person above all other breeds. Pits come nowhere close to being the most popular dog in the country yet they dominate the list of dogs that kill. So compare a pit to a lab, rott, shepherd, ect ect but then read the list.
    Here is a wise man...this Orion has knowledge beyond his years....

Unlike poor GTP 231 who just trolls the net...poor kid is lost! So....Pay attention lad..... Pay attention !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information