92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

so im in the market for a gas sipper....

Because my Blazer is costing me $400-$500/mo in gas. (12-14 mpg) I've never been in the market for a newer car other than my old '00 z28, but my options are a lot more broad now. I'm looking at the compacts and need some opinions. Preferably used, but I've noticed some dealers prices are just about the same for a new car than a yr old used one. I would by a chevy, but i cant stand the looks of the cobalts (saturn ion's look bad too) except for SS, but thats to pricy... I dont want to spend more than $16k.

coupe or 4dr... MUST be a 5spd. I'd prefer to keep it under 30,000 mi
    1. Civic (resale, reliable)
    2. Mazda 3 (dunno about these)
    3. Altima (best looking imo.. prolly the best overall right now)
    4. Grand prix/am (cheap labor + cost.. so so looks)
    5. Celica (im 6'3... dunno if it'll agree w/me)

any opinions or other suggestions??

My last beater car was a POS Cavalier that looked like a total POS.. i only paid $100 for it. This time I want something respectable and reliable and with a warranty if its a newer car. I figure I still save money than what i'm spending in gas now with a modest car payment and slight insurance hike.

black
    98 WS6

celica - decent performance + good gas mileage
    as for you fitting in it - visit dealerships and find out for yourself

celica is uncomfortable if you have long legs and are over 6'1 saturn is the same way. Civic was pretty roomy and seriously i could find parts anywhere for it, resaling it was easy, and i never had any problems with the windows/stock stereo

celica is ugly as fock but all of those listed are cosmetically challenged . my vote is for the altima for room and looks

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

I tend to lead towards american sippers mostly because parts are so much cheaper, to many people i know went out a bought 5 year old VW's and now hate them because they cost so damn much to fix. Get something popular and something they made forever that way when it finally breaks its real cheap to fix. A great example would be a 95-up cavalier with the 2.2l very very reliable and cheap as shit to fix. Plus they are pretty peppy and don't look to gay.

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Get a bike.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

I second the bike

NBM
    '99 Z28

a bike

Leaving for Lackland soon

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Although a bike may seem like a good idea, it wouldnt really be practical for a daily driver. if you go to school, need to pick up groceries it could be a pain in the ass thats just MHO, id go for the grand prix/ grand am, simply because they are cheap, and cheap to fix.
    2000 Black Camaro Z28 - !Cags, Spec Stage 3 clutch, Drill Mod, Smooth Bellows, High Flow Lid, Free Ram Air Mod, 150 Wet Shot Cold Fusion Nitrous

N/A 333rwhp 340 RWTQ
    N20 476RWHP 493RWT (Finally got it tuned)
    http://www.dakotafbodies.com

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Civic HYBRID!

I just bought a used 2003 Civic Hybrid with 40,000 miles and love it. It came with an extended warrantee (7 year/100,000 - $0 deductable) so I'll have 3 more years of coverage, like a new Chevy. The main reason I bought it was so I could ride in the HOV lanes (I work in Washington, DC) without having to pick up riders, but the gas mileage is incredible! I bady it, and annoy other drivers, but I get 50 MPG (Really - no BS) on 87 octane. Big chage from my Z28. I think the Altima only gets 20 city and less than 30 Highway, so it's not a 'gas sipping' vehicle. If you just want a beater that's:

1 - Reliable (rules on Chevy and Grand Prix)
    2 - Good Gas Mileage (rules out Altima)
    3 - Best Resale (Mazda's not known for good resale)
    4 - Will fit your 6.3 frame (Rules out Celica)

I'd go with a Civic Hybrid. Actually, since you don't live in a high congestion/HOV area, I'd probably save the $3-4k hybrid premium and just go with a used Civic HX. It'll get 44mpg on the highway, which isn;t too far off from the Hybrid.

Silver
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk

10-4 to the Civic, I have a 2003 HX and my best average is 46mpg highway and city. The usual average is 38-40mpg.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Cross shop your list of cars with some decent offerings from the general.

Test drive a Torrent/Cobalt and a Impala.

Those with impress you for sure for a all around appliance anyway.

red
    00 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by whoa guy
    Because my Blazer is costing me $400-$500/mo in gas. (12-14 mpg) I've never been in the market for a newer car other than my old '00 z28, but my options are a lot more broad now. I'm looking at the compacts and need some opinions. Preferably used, but I've noticed some dealers prices are just about the same for a new car than a yr old used one. I would by a chevy, but i cant stand the looks of the cobalts (saturn ion's look bad too) except for SS, but thats to pricy... I dont want to spend more than $16k.

coupe or 4dr... MUST be a 5spd. I'd prefer to keep it under 30,000 mi
    1. Civic (resale, reliable)
    2. Mazda 3 (dunno about these)
    3. Altima (best looking imo.. prolly the best overall right now)
    4. Grand prix/am (cheap labor + cost.. so so looks)
    5. Celica (im 6'3... dunno if it'll agree w/me) dude i just bought an 06 cobalt ss/sc. If you can talk the salesman down you will get a good deal. The sticker was 27k i paid 21.7k out the door with a 75000 5 year warranty. The car is pretty cool looking and its pretty quick for a 4 banger. Just go to the dealership and make a deal. Hope this helps. oh ya I get an average of 27 mpg, and thats with beating it everyday.

any opinions or other suggestions??

My last beater car was a POS Cavalier that looked like a total POS.. i only paid $100 for it. This time I want something respectable and reliable and with a warranty if its a newer car. I figure I still save money than what i'm spending in gas now with a modest car payment and slight insurance hike.
    dude i just bought an 06 cobalt ss/sc. If you can talk the salesman down you will get a good deal. The sticker was 27k i paid 21.7k out the door with a 75000 5 year warranty. The car is pretty cool looking and its pretty quick for a 4 banger. Just go to the dealership and make a deal. Hope this helps. oh ya I get an average of 27 mpg, and thats with beating it everyday.
    00 ss camaro, 6.0 liter iron block, 4" callies crank, 4" Mahle pistons, Howards rods, Comp cam .598/.598, ported polished heads, Fast 90mm intake and tb flp headers and y pipe, lingenfelter muffler and tips, Maf, injectors, frame connectors.

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I was considering the Altima as a DD as well when I heard that the V6's are a lot more reliable than the 4 cyls. This from a mechanic who works at a Nissan dealership. Lots of 4's having to be rebuilt... And well, the V6's don't get that good a mileage at all. So I'd forget the Altima thing.
    Civics aren't a bad idea if you can stomach driving a rice car. The price of gas is getting out of control and is making a fuel-econ car almost a necesssity.
    Steve
    1998 Black Z28 Pro 5.0 shifter, Borla Catback, DirectFlo Lid, !CAGS

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    I was considering the Altima as a DD as well when I heard that the V6's are a lot more reliable than the 4 cyls. This from a mechanic who works at a Nissan dealership. Lots of 4's having to be rebuilt... And well, the V6's don't get that good a mileage at all. So I'd forget the Altima thing.
    Civics aren't a bad idea if you can stomach driving a rice car. The price of gas is getting out of control and is making a fuel-econ car almost a necesssity.
    we seem to be on the same page.

Today I went to a local nissan dealer that was advertising on their website a '05 3.5sl 5spd w/sunroof... which is what i want. So i get there to find out its an old ad.. the cars gone. So i want to leave and the salesman comes back out saying there's on '06 5spd. This car never dpi'd and is way in the back in the middle of lines of cars like its been there awhile... it was freekin dirty. ($24.5k sticker). Told him I'd test drive it, but again.... i dont really want a new car. It was nice.. all i did was state what i didn't like about the car the whole time. We get back. Told him thanks, but I dont want to spend more than $16-17k. He says he can do it.... I'm like yea right in a polite way, but i was interested and said to him "you've done your job, now let me talk to your finance manager" he looked kinda puzzled. I said again "finance manager.. im not going to go back and forth between you and waste time" So I sit down and the finance guy comes in... told him "i really dont want a new car, or a black colored car for that matter, and I dont want to pay anything over $17k" He says some stuff... nice professional, shows me a slip for $20k today only. Sd to him thanks man, you have my name and #.. when u have somethign I want, i'll check it out and left.

Thinking about going to Honda and pulling the same stuff for a cheaper car.

EDIT: v6 altimas 21/27 MPG.... such a nice car though.. not as boring as a Civic, but Civics are hard to beat with their 34mpg.
    Last edited by whoa guy; 05-10-2006 at 07:02 PM.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

2dr accords look pretty good and get better mileage than the civic

Silver
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz
    2dr accords look pretty good and get better mileage than the civic
    Better mileage than the civic??? How do you figure?? Anyway, I bought my 03 Civic new for 14,000....10 miles on it. Just check em out, it doesn't hurt....Don't get me wrong, I love American cars and always will, but it's hard to beat the Honda's. Plus they're American Honda's anyway, helps a little. Just don't rice it out, keep it stock like I did (I don't consider that ricer).
    Last edited by firehawk00; 05-11-2006 at 05:29 AM.

Black
    97 Formula

Geo Metro. Sedan or hatch. Most came with a manual. 30mpg city.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk00
    Better mileage than the civic??? How do you figure?? Anyway, I bought my 03 Civic new for 14,000....10 miles on it. Just check em out, it doesn't hurt....Don't get me wrong, I love American cars and always will, but it's hard to beat the Honda's. Plus their American Honda's anyway, helps a little. Just don't rice it out, keep it stock like I did (I don't consider that ricer).
    maybe i'm thinking of the hybrid versions

Or maybe I'm wrong lol

I have a mazda protege5 it's the year before they changed the name to the 3. It's a wagon bitchcar and I love it 28 in town and 34 on the highway

Update:

Just purchased an '06 Altima 3.5 SE 5spd
    250hp/249tq 3.5 dohc v6
    17in alloys
    power everything.. a/c
    fog lights

17mi on the clock... I've been the only person to drive it. The car hasnt' even been dpi'ed yet so i can't pick it up until monday morning. (no inspection guy there to put a sticker on.. LAME!) Had an empty tank on the 1st test drive and the salesman filled it up on the 2nd drive. Got it to bark 2nd... and was introduced to tourqe steer.... very strange.

Real smooth car. I wasn't to crazy on the Black paint though. Never thought I'd sell off my camaro's and enter the midsize sport sedan market... weird...
    I paid $19.9k. It had a $24.5k sticker. There wasn't another v6 5spd around anywhere. Majority of them are all dog-o-amtics.

I've never owned a brand new car before!!

Thread Information