Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

So, I signed my life away today...

...the next 4 years at least.

I'm now a recruit of the US Marine Corps. Will be leaving for Paris Island on Feb 23rd.

Can't decide what I wanna do though. 94 on ASVAB + aced physical = lots of choices

Advise from some of our current service members?

Wish me luck..

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I thought maybe you got married....

Kamen Blue
    05 Segueway

In the navy
    you can sail the seven seas
    In the navy
    you can something-something-ease

Good luck man. The best advice I can give is keep your mouth shut and your ears open and don't be timid when they ask a question, but don't be confrontational either.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

get something in Communication.. get in your basic school then look for more advaced MOS ....
    cold weather sux at P.I. but is FAR...FAR... better than hot ... avoid haveing a DI learn your name as long as possible ...

"A small town called none of your god damn

Silver
    2006 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post

I'm now a recruit of the US Marine Corps. Will be leaving for Paris Island on Feb 23rd.

Can't decide what I wanna do though. 94 on ASVAB + aced physical = lots of choices

Wish me luck..
    welcome! You won't regret it. Go infantry.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea you did! shoulda went Air Force! jk/ congrats man

"A small town called none of your god damn

Silver
    2006 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    get something in Communication.. get in your basic school then look for more advaced MOS ....
    cold weather sux at P.I. but is FAR...FAR... better than hot ... avoid haveing a DI learn your name as long as possible ...
    and if they do learn your name let it be because of something good. Try to be the best runner for some reason it gives them a chubby

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 2000 SS Beast View Post
    and if they do learn your name let it be because of something good. Try to be the best runner for some reason it gives them a chubby
    Hah...I knew dealing with the bs of being the soccer team captain back in high school would come in handy someday. Getting my mile back under 6 mins before boot camp won't be too difficult.

I've just gotta stop being lazy with pull ups now I suppose..

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

" DONT DO ANYTHING STUPID" good advise from LT Dan.. I know he was Army , but still good advice

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

good luck dude, i'm pretty sure you'll have a blast. Only thing i can ever think of is "man up" be firm man, and learn everything about your job and you will be solid.

white
    2001 trans am

Wish me luck..
    First of all you are not a recruit! You are not a recruit untill you set foot on those yellow footprints! You are a POOLEE! I dont know if your recruiter informed you or not, but in the marine corps you do not get to pick your job, you pick a field that you would LIKE to go into. 9 times out of 10 you will not get the MOS you want. The marine corps will put you where they need you, job wise! Any other branch of service you can pick what ever MOS you want and you will probley get it. NOT IN THE MARINE CORPS! Now a little advice b4 you ever go to recruit training there are a few things you sould do. (Number 1) Get two people to enlist so you can get PFC out of bootcamp, seriously do what you gotta do to find two people it will set you much further ahead than your peers.(Number 2) learn your general orders, this really isnt a big deal but if you know them it will be a little easier once you get there (you will learn them no matter what at parris island)and finally (Number 3) Break up with your girlfriend if you have one, 99.99% of the time its not going to work out once you go to bootcamp. If you dont break up with her she will break up with you so dont worry about it. Well welcome to the corps! PM me if you want more info. I'v been in for 5 years so i know i few things.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Find a MOS that you will enjoy doing and also will pay good in the civilian sector in case you want to get out after your first or second term. If you can't make up your mind then there's always Infantry. It's a good starting point for any soldier/marine. You scored great on your ASVAB so you probably qaulify for everthing the Marines have to offer. During bootcamp remember to keep your head on straight, keep your gear squared away, and always be a team member. A platoon/squad not functioning as a team will make for a long hard day during bootcamp. Welcome to the service, Thanks for volunteering.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

94 on ASVAB + aced physical = lots of choices
    As ghost pointed out... theres lots of choices... for your superiors to make. You don't get a say in the matter. Not one that counts anyway. But thats the marines for ya.

Shoulda gone to a different branch if you wanted to get a sweet technical job or something like that...

Kamen Blue
    05 Segueway

If you went in open contract and don't want Infantry, you'd better get that straighted out ASAP, Private SouthernBornThriller.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Quote Originally Posted by GhostTransws6AM View Post
    I dont know if your recruiter informed you or not, but in the marine corps you do not get to pick your job, you pick a field that you would LIKE to go into. 9 times out of 10 you will not get the MOS you want. The marine corps will put you where they need you, job wise! Any other branch of service you can pick what ever MOS you want and you will probley get it. NOT IN THE MARINE CORPS! .

wow that sucks. what about reclassing to another MOS? what if a marine wants to become a pilot? can they submit a packet for flight school or are you pretty much stuck like chuck? How about guys wanting to go force recon? I'm not calling BS on anything you posted, just wondering how these sort of things work for you guys.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

ditto on the girl deal, don't worry you will pick another one up not to long after.

white
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    wow that sucks. what about reclassing to another MOS? what if a marine wants to become a pilot? can they submit a packet for flight school or are you pretty much stuck like chuck? How about guys wanting to go force recon? I'm not calling BS on anything you posted, just wondering how these sort of things work for you guys.
    Your first 4 years your gonna do what ever MOS the marine corps picks for you. If you decide to re-enlist after those 4 years you can lap move to a diffrent MOS of your choice, yeah after 4 years you can pick the job you want (you do gotta go back to school for that job). If a marine wants to be a pilot than hes gonna need to be an officer, since our boy here is going to Parris Island, he is not going to be an officer. And for guys who want to be force recon, There are Recon INDOC's every now and then, and they are hard as fuck, so if someone wants to be recon they can get a chance once they are IN THE MARINE CORPS. I have seen some bad ass dudes fail the recon INDOC's, it takes ALOT of heart! Never done it myself but i have friends who have tried

blue
    83 mustang 347

watch out for Jodi?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    Click for full size
    " DONT DO ANYTHING STUPID" good advise from LT Dan.. I know he was Army , but still good advice
    And tuck your lip in, wouldnt wanna get that caught in some trip wire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information