1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

Angry So I was poking around under the hood....*PICS*

I haven't had too much free time the past few days, so tonight I got the chance to look over my new (to me) Chrysler 300. This is what I found. This car was "factory certified" with a 125 point point inspection and came with a monster warranty from Chrysler. I wonder what else they forgot??? It's a 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring Edition with 41,230 on the clock. This looks like the original air filter!! Not that I'm expecting any feedback from them, but I emailed the pics to the president of the dealership (Freedom Dodge)

98 Formula
    06 duramax

those warranties are a joke......never trust them.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i cannot believe a tech missed that.easy money(but not much) for a air filter replacement.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Bought a "certified" '08 Grand Caravan a year ago and I've been fighting Dodge about it ever since. Drove it home day 1 and the driver side sliding door wouldn't close- chain harness was cracked. When I brought it in to be repaired they told me the brakes were shot. Replaced brakes on my own since they wanted nearly $300 to do it. Brought it in last week (door problems and AC didn't work) and now their telling me the brakes are shot again... needless to say it's the last Dodge I'll ever buy. Sticking with GM.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

front brakes go wicked fast on dodge caravans, my mom has one and it smokes through front brakes if you're not careful, plus the dealer will replace your fucking rotors if your pads are bad, turning "isnt an option" anymore

avoid dealers at all costs

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Wow, people get an immaculate vehicle if they buy our trade in. Cept for our '03 ram that the rear was about to go out for the 4th time, and had no heater core. BUT, we let the dealer know about that and they probably took it to auction anyways, 12xxxx miles

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

I brought my monte in once to the dealer for an oil change... just to test them I was like how does the air filter look... guy said not to bad, you'll need a new one next time you come in... I had a K&N

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Why do you think its the original? Because its dirty or because of the Mopar stuff on it? I've seen 10,000 mile air filters dirtier than that and the original filter and the replacement ones from a dealer look almost, if not identical.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i think the point was that the vehicle was sold as a "certified" used car which dealers say is in like new condition.new cars do not come with dirty air filters,whether or not it was replaced in the past is irrelevent.

red
    95 Z28

In all honesty, that air filter isnt that bad compared to some of the shit you see in people's vehicles. And used car managers are notoriously cheap when it comes to putting any money into used cars when they're in the service department. They just want to get them out onto the lot as soon as possible.

I would agree though that it probably should have been changed.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    front brakes go wicked fast on dodge caravans, my mom has one and it smokes through front brakes if you're not careful, plus the dealer will replace your fucking rotors if your pads are bad, turning "isnt an option" anymore

Avoid dealers because your brakes go bad? Are you aware of why rotors get replaced? What makes you think bad rotors are any different if you have brakes done at non dealer shop? Maybe your mom rides the brakes

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I work as a dealer tech and air filters at any dealer i've worked at normally get replaced on ANY used car they are about to sell regardless of whether its a certified car or not. They are cheap and easy to do, plus they are easily checked by a customer. A certified car, the air filter MUST be clean or new. The fact that its that dirty on a certified car is unacceptable. This one thing indicates to me that the car got called a certified car based on the low miles and that more then likely it was never even ran through the shop and inspected and serviced like its supposed to.

Used car managers are cheap beyond belief as previously mentioned. Everything is about their net profit.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post

Last I checked rotors can still be turned unless they are too warped or too wore out to be safely turned. I used to work at a Dodge dealer and most of the guys I knew there would try to turn the rotors before replacing them b/c it makes the tech more money to turn them.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    i think the point was that the vehicle was sold as a "certified" used car which dealers say is in like new condition.new cars do not come with dirty air filters,whether or not it was replaced in the past is irrelevent.

Yeah, it should have been replaced, not arguing that, was merely curious why he thought it was the original.

Thread Information