Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Smart ppl come in

Ok i gotta write this essay for english about why Tests should be replaced with other forms of assements. I am a very bad test taker and i get a little nervous before one, so i can use personal experiance. Any1 else like this?? I need good reasons and back them up to. Im asking for ur help becasue i wanna hear differant answers. BTW this papers is worth 60% of my final grade so i MUST GET AN A!!

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

start with getting Google spell check then work your way to the essentials.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Write about how writing the paper you are writing is better then taking a test.

Black Vert
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1160

First you need to narrow it down. What kinds of tests are you comparing? Multiple choice? Essay questions? Then figure out what "assessments" you mean to replace them with. Final part of paper could be the discussion of why your assessments are better. Could be anything from the fact that your methods model a more "real life" situation. Or that by your method the student is forced to think outside of the box, forced to think instead of just repeating some fact they memorized. Education hasn't evolved much over the last few centuries. I'm sure you can think of plenty of things that are better than the norm.

Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

You need reasons?

1. Writing Papers saves class time (as you can do them on your own time)
    2. Can't Cheat to much on a paper without it being to obvious.
    3. Writing a paper will keep you out of trouble and create good habits.
    4. Nervous test takers can relax and do their paper at their own pace and in comfort which will improve grades.
    5. Students will learn more about the subject and it will become lasting knowledge if they have to research it.

Of course these are a little bit of BS.. but thats mainly what papers are.. Just make the professor happy and use good grammar, sentence structure, and all that shit and you should be set.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The public school system sucks....it's been broken for years. The state mandated testing process took the teach out of teaching. Now teachers hands are tied to really teach a kid, they're just making test takers out of the kids. Why do they do this you ask? Because their ability to teach is judged by how well the kids do on these tests.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

57 people looked at this and only 5 replied, excluding myself. Perfect example of the education system at work. You asked for smart people, and 57 thought they were, but had nothing to add. As others have stated, teachers teach the test. Most tests are not a test of knowledge but one of observation. How well you paid attention in class. Knowledge is not taught, but aquired though experience.

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by vaticano View Post
    57 people looked at this and only 5 replied, excluding myself. Perfect example of the education system at work. You asked for smart people, and 57 thought they were, but had nothing to add.
    Well I jus may be one of dem uneducated fools you be talkin' bout but it seems ta me you just may be a douchebag.

Nonetheless, many on www.LS1.com tend to be more concerned with our cars (unclear title) than voicing our opinions on someone's English essay.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

57 people looked at this and only 5 replied, excluding myself. Perfect example of the education system at work. You asked for smart people, and 57 thought they were, but had nothing to add. As others have stated, teachers teach the test. Most tests are not a test of knowledge but one of observation. How well you paid attention in class. Knowledge is not taught, but aquired though experience.
    Or maybe some of us who are smart were intrigued by the vague thread title but left when we realized we didn't want to do someone elses homework.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    Well I jus may be one of dem uneducated fools you be talkin' bout but it seems ta me you just may be a douchebag.

Nonetheless, many on www.LS1.com tend to be more concerned with our cars (unclear title) than voicing our opinions on someone's English essay.
    Apparently you don't come here much. I see more shit talking and mouthing off about people than helping others with there cars.And correct me if I'm wrong but you clearly appear to be one of them.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

The problem with tests is that most of the time they are all the same. Essentially you test 35 kids in the class on the exact same questions, it relies on them understanding and or knowing those exact examples. For instance, in calculus for our semester test, our teacher made two different tests to avoid cheating, all different questions on them. I opted to take both of them and take the better grade of the two, an option he offered to us worried about it. I got 79% on one test and 91% on the other. When you test students, you do not neccessarily test their understanding and comprehension of a specific topic,book,subject, what have you. All your doing is testing their knowledge of being able to do the specific examples you have given them.

But if you're writing a paper, I would stick to the psychological issues of testing. Some kids stress out like crazy, over study, get anxious and start feeling sick to their stomaches. Some kids have a hard time studying and get really worried over it. Then when the results are handed out it feels like you are being compared against each other and how an F can severley kill your self confidense.

Also, the school feel that test results reflects a teachers ability to teach, wich isn't true, so then you get the teacher all pissed when kids do bad. They don't know what to do. Your upset, and everyone comes out shitty.

LOSE TESTS, grade all homework on Smiley face, thumbs up, and a star. Not, tests are fucking awesome you liberal bitch. If it wasn't for tests how would I know I was superior to my classmates. It's all I got, DONT TAKE IT FROM ME YOU BASTARD!

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Or maybe some of us who are smart were intrigued by the vague thread title but left when we realized we didn't want to do someone elses homework.
    I don't see the op's request for people's opions on his essay topic as a request to do his homework.

Black
    '99 SS

Apparently you don't come here much. I see more shit talking and mouthing off about people than helping others with there cars.And correct me if I'm wrong but you clearly appear to be one of them.
    Well you obviously spend too much time in the AAG forum. I have never asked for help in a technical [www.ls1.com] forum and not gained some knowledge from it. I probably shouldn't mess with such a knowledgeable fellow though.

Boy howdy this can't end well for me.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    Well you obviously spend too much time in the AAG forum. I have never asked for help in a technical [www.ls1.com] forum and not gained some knowledge from it. I probably shouldn't mess with such a knowledgeable fellow though.

Boy howdy this can't end well for me.
    Never posted in the AAG, just my regional forum. Check it out sometime and you will understand where I'm coming from. My knowledge is limited only by my experience, and my experience here and on other forums leads me to believe that far to many need to follow my grandmother's words of wisdom, "If you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all." You are absolutly correct, you reap what you sew, my friend

OOps guess I was wrong, I've been posting in the AAG section. LOL
    Last edited by vaticano; 03-28-2008 at 07:30 PM.

i say keep tests.....might make kids actually read/ try to learn the crap. The only downside is if they keep tests they have to teach it to the retards cause you have no studying skills. I am sick of seeing teachers teach the tests instead of actually teaching teh subject and seeing if the kids actually understand what they taught.....I actually think tests are a good judgement of how retarded the kids in a class are and/or how the teacher is doing in terms of teaching ability. Now if only teachers were capable of failing kids for not knowing crap....that would be nice, instead of having to pass 25% or so of their class regardless of how stupid they are.

Just my own opinion.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

smart people come in, come on, this is ls1.com

black black black
    77 swb

What is the point of this? Is it to make morons feel smarter? Would kids be graded on how hard they tried?

Here is an example of why tests are GOOD.

You get to choose between two doctors.

1. Highly intelligent, 4.0 student. Aced every test you can think of.
    2. Some anus who showed up for class and got 4 gold stars for trying hard...really hard!

HMMMMM??????????

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman5000 View Post
    What is the point of this? Is it to make morons feel smarter? Would kids be graded on how hard they tried?

Here is an example of why tests are GOOD.

You get to choose between two doctors.

1. Highly intelligent, 4.0 student. Aced every test you can think of.
    2. Some anus who showed up for class and got 4 gold stars for trying hard...really hard!

HMMMMM??????????
    what if all the tests the first doctor aced were 20 years ago? How smart does that make him today?
    I'm not saying tests are bad. I'm saying basing intelligence on the results of a test is bad. I've known plenty of people that could ace a test but were some of the dumbest assholes I've ever met. Would you rather be taught a subject or just the key points of a subject so that you could pass the test on it later? That's the difference between knowledge and book smarts.

Just my opinion.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll give you a first hand example. I have a cousin. Smart guy. He never made anything but A's in school. The guy just knew a bunch of shit but just talking to him you knew that in reality he was a dumb ass. Went off to college and graduated with honors. What was his degree in you ask? Russian History. He lives in southeastern Missouri. Know what he does now? Works for the post office. Probably the most intellectual person at the branch but I'm surprised he hasn't been hit by a car yet because he couldn't figure out how to cross the street.

Thread Information