Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    99 Z28

Should parents lose custody of their morbidly obese kids?

Link

Discuss.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

nope.......just another step towards being under total control by big brother. They start obese and then where do they go? Little pudgy and you lose your kid? Bad grades? Where does it end? The less control the govt has over peoples lives the better. There are bigger things to try and fix in this country other than fat kids. Maybe we should start with the deficit?? Just a thought.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

if the parents are not doing anything to make their child healthier...just feeding them a steady constant stream of junk food and fast food and completely ignoring the fact that their child is morbidly obese then yes they probably should lose their children. they are doing great and severe physical harm to their children. the state takes control of children who have had great and severe emotional and other physical trauma done to them by their parents...mental, physical and sexual abuse. i don't see any difference in taking a child away from a parent who is knowingly giving their child heart disease, diabetes, and liver disease among other diseases.

if you aren't responsible enough to be a good proper parent then you shouldn't have kids. you go to adopt a pet at the animal shelter and you have to prove that you have a home and a stable income. that's just to get a dog or a cat. we don't do anything remotely like that for people who are having kids. if you want to have kids you should have to prove that you have a stable income and a suitable home as well as proper mental faculties. if we did that then in a few decades we wouldn't have all these problems with the court, legal, and adoption systems and we wouldn't have all these problems with the welfare system. put those without the mental or financial means on birth control to prevent pregnancies and we won't have all these problems.

sorry...i went off on a tangent. i stand by it though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    if the parents are not doing anything to make their child healthier...just feeding them a steady constant stream of junk food and fast food and completely ignoring the fact that their child is morbidly obese then yes they probably should lose their children. they are doing great and severe physical harm to their children. the state takes control of children who have had great and severe emotional and other physical trauma done to them by their parents...mental, physical and sexual abuse. i don't see any difference in taking a child away from a parent who is knowingly giving their child heart disease, diabetes, and liver disease among other diseases.

if you aren't responsible enough to be a good proper parent then you shouldn't have kids. you go to adopt a pet at the animal shelter and you have to prove that you have a home and a stable income. that's just to get a dog or a cat. we don't do anything remotely like that for people who are having kids. if you want to have kids you should have to prove that you have a stable income and a suitable home as well as proper mental faculties. if we did that then in a few decades we wouldn't have all these problems with the court, legal, and adoption systems and we wouldn't have all these problems with the welfare system. put those without the mental or financial means on birth control to prevent pregnancies and we won't have all these problems.

sorry...i went off on a tangent. i stand by it though.
    do you honestly believe that? We should make a law against drugs....that will fix that problem. We should also make a law against stealing....that will fix that problem. Oh wait....shit.....nevermind. Laws aren't going to keep irresponsible people from being irresponsible. They'll just effect some middle class family that has a child with a thyroid problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    do you honestly believe that? We should make a law against drugs....that will fix that problem. We should also make a law against stealing....that will fix that problem. Oh wait....shit.....nevermind. Laws aren't going to keep irresponsible people from being irresponsible. They'll just effect some middle class family that has a child with a thyroid problem.
    a responsible middle class parent will look at their fat son or daughter and say "man...we need to see a nuitritionalist" or "we should go to the doctor" or "they're under 18 and that means that i control what they eat and what they do and starting today they will take up an active hobby outside and will start eating better because i will do it with them." a responsible middle class parent will take their fat kid to the doctor and the doctor will tell them "your kid has a thyroid problem which can be managed with diet, exercise, and medication." and the responsible middle class parent of the fat kid with the thyroid problem will do something about it and take the doctors advice.

irresponsible parents of any class won't take their kid to the doctor and if they do they won't follow the doctors instructions. and they won't make a lifestyle change with their child to show them how important it is. irresponsible parents will continue to shovel shit food down their kids throats.
    1999 Z/28

M6 w/ Hurst shifter and SLP skip shift eliminator, drilled rotors, Y3F package, SLP lid w/ K&N filter, VFN fiberglass 2" cowl hood, TSP 1 3/4" headers & ORY

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I don't think they should lose custody. But for parents that are blatantly negligent/idiotic, like the ones that try suing Mickey D's for selling happy meals, I think they should have to take some sort of class or something.

red
    2000 Z28

When I was in 4th grade I weighed 90lbs. In park district wrestling, I was often paired up against 8th and 9th graders and got my ass beat. The next year I had a growth spurt to 5'10". In 12th grade @ 6'2", playing OL/DL on a football team with 16 kids on the roster, I ate 7-9k calories a day, started the season @ 215 and ended the season @ 195.

What would the standard be? Who will decide what the standard is? How will monitoring take place? How will genetics/metabolism be adjusted for, and kids growing into their bodies at different rates? Most importantly, who the fuck is going to pay for it?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    When I was in 4th grade I weighed 90lbs. In park district wrestling, I was often paired up against 8th and 9th graders and got my ass beat. The next year I had a growth spurt to 5'10". In 12th grade @ 6'2", playing OL/DL on a football team with 16 kids on the roster, I ate 7-9k calories a day, started the season @ 215 and ended the season @ 195.

What would the standard be? Who will decide what the standard is? How will monitoring take place? How will genetics/metabolism be adjusted for, and kids growing into their bodies at different rates? Most importantly, who the fuck is going to pay for it?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    there's a big difference between active kids that eat a lot and are a little on the "heavy" side and those who sit on the couch all day gorging themselves being served by their parents like they are the lords of the castle and are morbidly obese. you can certainly be overweight as a teen going through puberty and within 1-2 years with a lot of different genetic things going on lose weight...it happens to a lot of kids.

parents want the best for their children...then they should act like it or have some consequences placed upon them for sending their "beloved" child to the grave in their 30s for things that are completely controllable.

red
    2000 Z28

So, what is the standard then? Who decides the standard, how will it be monitored, how will genetics/metabolism/different growth rates be adjusted for, who the fuck is going to pay for it?

Because I don't have fat little bastards, don't give a shit about someone else's fat little bastards, and I'm not paying for "shit out the grease" medication for someone else's fat little bastards, or paying for a dipshit government worker to look at a checklist made up by a lobbying group whose products are grown by mega farm conglomerates subsidized by tax dollars to grow corn for ethanol production to boost "green cars" from General Motors and Chrysler. If I do have fat little bastards someday, I'll feed them what I want to feed them, and I'll encourage them to play outside all day if they want to play, and read in their room all day if they want to read.

If someone else thinks they know what's best for my unborn fat little bastards and tries to push it on me, prepare to be pushed back.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

So, what is the standard then? Who decides the standard, how will it be monitored, how will genetics/metabolism/different growth rates be adjusted for, who the fuck is going to pay for it?

Because I don't have fat little bastards, don't give a shit about someone else's fat little bastards, and I'm not paying for "shit out the grease" medication for someone else's fat little bastards, or paying for a dipshit government worker to look at a checklist made up by a lobbying group whose products are grown by mega farm conglomerates subsidized by tax dollars to grow corn for ethanol production to boost "green cars" from General Motors and Chrysler. If I do have fat little bastards someday, I'll feed them what I want to feed them, and I'll encourage them to play outside all day if they want to play, and read in their room all day if they want to read.

If someone else thinks they know what's best for my unborn fat little bastards and tries to push it on me, prepare to be pushed back.
    175 internet points.........

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Parents are responsible for the welfare of their children, not the government, not the neighbors, and not the taxpayers.

There will always be parents whose choices will be questioned by other people, but the fact remains that parents are ultimately responsible for the well
    being of their children.

I remember my Mom being upset that some neighborhood kids didn't have mittens, hats, or jackets that looked warm enough in the winter, and so she would sometimes come to the bus stop with some extra hats or mittens, or give a kid a hand me down jacket, but that was the extent of her involvement.

I remember there was always one or two "fat kids" in grade school, but that was it. We all played outside all year round, and shoveled our driveways, took
    out the trash, did dishes, mowed lawns with push mowers, and we played baseball, football, soccer, rode bikes, and skated on the pond in the winter.

Remember, the food we ate back then was supposedly less healthy that what we eat now, and medicine was far less modern. We drank sugar soda,
    sugar kool aid, and ate real ice cream as much as our parents allowed, and yet we were generally much less "fat" than kids are today.

The problem we have is government and schools requiring or legislating certain things and parents having two jobs so day care has a major role
    in raising children. Parents have basically given up the responsibility of raising their own children and now often blame others for problems that
    they should be solving themselves.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Sometimes I think the US loves to think with its heart and not its brain.. and they love to save people/things that dont need saving...but i think if it is obvious that the parent is not looking out for the childs health then I think they could have a system to see how bad the situation is ...with it leading to fines and maybe at the end loosing the child .. but I dont think it should be a one step thing ...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

No, because that would lead to more government abuse. Here's an excerpt I took from another forum, which has a thread regarding the same issue.

Scotland and the UK are already taking custody from parents who allow their children to be overweight in extreme cases..the latest example was a 13 yr old who weight 225lbs who was taken by the Scottish Govt..they also took the other 6 children as well who were not obese as well, including their newborn.

I wonder what the Scottish Govts. justification for taking the parents other seven children was? They felt they shouldn't have any?

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

175,000 internet points.
    96 Trans AM WS6 (only 36k miles): Pacesetter LTs, ORY, magnaflow, !egr, !air, BMR STB, BMR LCAs, UMI SFCs, Alpine type R components up front, 2 12" Alpine type E subs, Alpine CDE-102 deck, Alpine 500m amp

blue
    1999 TransAm

muchelle says if your kids don't eat healthy, she will take care of it...

afterall, why wouldn't you want your kids to grow up to be strong and healthy?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

You could blame the parents. I wouldn't have a huge issue with that, but they aren't the only ones to blame.

You can start blaming the food corporations that feel profit margins over healthy food is more important.

At times in my life I've had a shitty diet and gained some weight on my stomach and even though I was an active person it's hard to burn off all the carbs, fat and sugar that is put into food today. It's not just the kids that are having problems with weight. Food is just extremely loaded with sugar and such.

Just looking around work. We got about 30 employees and probably only 5 of us aren't overweight.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

This looks very bad on our Country , and something will have to be done to get Americans out of this rut of being VERY overweight... and it will be something most wont like...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    This looks very bad on our Country , and something will have to be done to get Americans out of this rut of being VERY overweight... and it will be something most wont like...
    Exercise and self-discipline...

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Exercise and self-discipline...

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Sure take'em who cares. IMO you should have to undergo a mental exam and financial check to even have the little bastards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information