Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Should my dog go to the vet??

Hey guys,

I have two dogs a jack russel terrier and a carin terrier. The jack russel is 4 years old and is not aggresive but obviously he must hate vermin...

well today i let my dogs out in my moms backyard and she has a fence all the way around the yard they were just playing at first running around you know the normal stuff dogs do. All of a sudden while i'm sitting down talkin on my phone with my girlfreind i hear this vicious growling and it sounded like my dogs were fighting so i just say fuck and hang up. and i run outside to see whats goin on...

I look and the jack russel terrier is chasing the shit out of this jack rabbit. then as im runnin towards my dog to grab him i just see him in a matter of a second bite the shit out of his buttox and the rabbit just drops lyin there while the Jack russel is laying down staring at it waitin for it to get up. my other dog is just standin there like holy fuck...

So he bit his buttox and the gashes aren't deep at all but it seems like the rabbit may have had some other health problems before my dog got to him because he died just from that one bite my dog got on him...

So do i need to take him to the vet or should he be okay? Do i need to be worried about stuff like rabbies, or bactieria and stuff that could harm him?

Need you guys opinions... and sorry for this long ass read

Thanks

NBM
    02 M6 Formula

dont think rabbits carry rabies, but they could, best bet would be to call a vet and ask first just to be safe.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

take the rabbit to be tested for rabies... the only way to test is to remove the head... you don't want the loping your puppies head off... so have them test the rabbit... in the mean time use neosporin on the dogs wound...

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

So let me get this straight, your dog bit the rabbits ass? Rabbits are weak animals and no telling what your dog already done to it.So it is possible the one bite you seen inflicted could kill it.Take the rabbit to have it tested, but I think it is too early for rabies, could be wrong though. then take your dog , if it isn't rabid already, to get vaccinated.

The rabbit was probally so tired and didn't take much for it to die... I wouldn't bother with taking the dog to the vet unless something happened to it. I have had dogs plenty of rabbit, groundhogs, etc... and never a problem.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by DUBB View Post
    dont think rabbits carry rabies, but they could, best bet would be to call a vet and ask first just to be safe.
    Yea I called the vet they said as long as the dog didn't get bit then he should be fine thanks for the advice man...

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    take the rabbit to be tested for rabies... the only way to test is to remove the head... you don't want the loping your puppies head off... so have them test the rabbit... in the mean time use neosporin on the dogs wound...
    Thanks for helping man but i don't think i'll be taking off that rabbits head thats pretty sick lol... The dog didn't get bit you must have not read right lol it was the rabbit that was bit...

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    So let me get this straight, your dog bit the rabbits ass? Rabbits are weak animals and no telling what your dog already done to it.So it is possible the one bite you seen inflicted could kill it.Take the rabbit to have it tested, but I think it is too early for rabies, could be wrong though. then take your dog , if it isn't rabid already, to get vaccinated.
    Yes sir the dog bit the rabbits ass you are correct.

Thank you for the advice but the vetenarian we talked to said that the dog should be okay as long as the rabbit did not bite him.. then we will have some prolems

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by gd1996 View Post
    The rabbit was probally so tired and didn't take much for it to die... I wouldn't bother with taking the dog to the vet unless something happened to it. I have had dogs plenty of rabbit, groundhogs, etc... and never a problem.
    You must be right thats what the vet also told me he said it's common for peoples dogs to kill vermin

Thank you for the advice sir

98 Formula
    06 duramax

your dog have his rabbies shot? I wouldn't sweat a rabbit anyhow. My dogs have tangled with all sorts of critters out here and they've all been ok. My young one has a thing for possums. He's fought a couple of them and the last one he went midevil on.

NBM
    02 M6 Formula

lol my dogs got attacked by a cat and they killed it and cut its head off to send in for rabies (not too often a cat goes after 2 pits) but it came back with nothing, Sorry kitty!

2002 Firebird Formula

My chihuahua died today because a big dog apparently bit it twice over the course of two days...I didn't want the big dog around my little dogs because it's generally not a good idea to have that going on, but noone ever listens to me about stuff like that.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Rabbits can stroke out over to much stress. They are pretty fragile. My cat caught one once and the thing was screaming like crazy. Sound I'll never forget.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    your dog have his rabbies shot? I wouldn't sweat a rabbit anyhow. My dogs have tangled with all sorts of critters out here and they've all been ok. My young one has a thing for possums. He's fought a couple of them and the last one he went midevil on.
    I thought critters were only down south? If your J/R has it's shots dont worry about it just keep an eye on it.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Yea he had his rabies shot... lol possums?? We don't get those up here he is turning out to be one hell of a mischevious dog so far lol.... thanks for the advice

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    My chihuahua died today because a big dog apparently bit it twice over the course of two days...I didn't want the big dog around my little dogs because it's generally not a good idea to have that going on, but noone ever listens to me about stuff like that.
    Damn man... sorry to hear about that i fortunatley don't know how it feels to lose a dog...

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    I thought critters were only down south? If your J/R has it's shots dont worry about it just keep an eye on it.
    Thanks for the advice man and yes he had his shots and he seems fine it's been like 17 hours since thats happened and he seems fine i'm gonna watch him closer when i let him out in the backyard from now on lol...

Greystone Metallic
    2006 Trailblazer LT

Rabbits are not an animal normally known as a rabies problem animal. Mostly it is bats, skunks, and wild dogs you need to be worried about. But bare minimum your dogs should be current on rabies and distemper vaccinations as well heartworm prevention if it is recommended in your area. The only thing I would be worried about with the rabbits is the GI parasites they can pass in their stool to your dogs.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by th4 View Post
    Rabbits are not an animal normally known as a rabies problem animal. Mostly it is bats, skunks, and wild dogs you need to be worried about. But bare minimum your dogs should be current on rabies and distemper vaccinations as well heartworm prevention if it is recommended in your area. The only thing I would be worried about with the rabbits is the GI parasites they can pass in their stool to your dogs.
    nope... less than 1% of all the bats in the world carry rabies...

Greystone Metallic
    2006 Trailblazer LT

nope... less than 1% of all the bats in the world carry rabies...
    Down in Texas if it is a animal with rabies it will most likely be a bat, skunk, or wild dog/coyote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information