registered cobra eater

black
    2000 Trans Am

Question Should I take this job?

So Im a young guy in school studying business administration and i coach high school football during the season. Recently my uncle mentioned a possible job opening at his station and said he could prob. get me on there. This is the first time they have hired anyone since 2001 because the only openings come from either retirement or death, which is how this one opened, guy had a stroke. Now im torn whether to take the job and make $24/hr with 48 hrs/week guaranteed. The job would be at a natural gas and oil company so job security is not an issue and it would entail general maitanence and upkeep on huge compressors while checking and logging pressures etc. Now i could stay in school finish up in a year coach football and skate by on bills with my serving job or make a ton of money, pay for my upcoming wedding myself and keep my fiancee in school to get her RN. UGH i need help

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

I am currently in my second year of a four year degree and I would say that if I had an opportunity like that I would probably take it especially with a fiance going to school to be an RN. Now keep in mind I'm 19 years old so wtf do I know

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Yes take. The pay is good and the job security is there. People dont have jobs nevermind jobs that pay that well and at that young an age.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

assuming that your fiancee gets an RN job, shes got big money coming her way, and you'd be making good money at the job you are talking about. You could always get your degree later if you want a different career. But i'm telling you, so many people dont work right now and have a real hard time finding work. You could get your degree and there might not being anything available.

black
    00 camaross&02 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    assuming that your fiancee gets an RN job, shes got big money coming her way, and you'd be making good money at the job you are talking about. You could always get your degree later if you want a different career. But i'm telling you, so many people dont work right now and have a real hard time finding work. You could get your degree and there might not being anything available.
    I would agree with stanger here I would jump on this if it is paying more than your other jobs combined also like you said the oportunity doesn't come up that often and that you could pay all your bills and wedding. I would jump on this and get the old lady through rn school then look at taking a class or two to keep working on your degree later on.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

If you stayed in school, how far are you planning on taking your education? Just stopping at a bachelors or going further? Are you a good student?

If you take the job, what are the opportunities for promotion, and how quickly?

$24/hr at a consistent 48hr/wk is just under 60k a year, before taxes. If you can move up quickly in the company I say go for it... But if you're going to stay at 60k for the next 15 years, stay in school imo.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by KillerTA00 View Post
    So Im a young guy in school studying business administration and i coach high school football during the season. Recently my uncle mentioned a possible job opening at his station and said he could prob. get me on there. This is the first time they have hired anyone since 2001 because the only openings come from either retirement or death, which is how this one opened, guy had a stroke. Now im torn whether to take the job and make $24/hr with 48 hrs/week guaranteed. The job would be at a natural gas and oil company so job security is not an issue and it would entail general maitanence and upkeep on huge compressors while checking and logging pressures etc. Now i could stay in school finish up in a year coach football and skate by on bills with my serving job or make a ton of money, pay for my upcoming wedding myself and keep my fiancee in school to get her RN. UGH i need help

While I myself, in your position, would take it. Don't think for a second that because its to do with oil and gas, that its secure. I have been in the Oilfield for almost 6 years. I have been a Driller for 3 now. I used to go to work (as recently as last fall) and see 15 to 20 derricks in the air along the way. Now? 1 to 2... I work for the No. ! drilling Company in the U.S., and our division yard alone has over 72 rigs in it... there are 2 trucks per rig, and it looks like a chevy dealership out there. If we ain't drillin', there'll soon be nothing much to be compressing/producing...
    Last edited by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT; 02-25-2009 at 10:48 AM.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

what about taking the job and finishing the 1yr of school part time in 2 years or something like that... at least, you have more $ coming in, able to still finish school... and allows to get the wedding paid for... just an idea.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    smart words.....i went to school for psychology......got a degree.....but now i do total overhauls on railcars......i love it and it pays more.....with this economy you need to look at the type of job you would go for if you were to graduate......if they are scarce or not looking stable i would take what you have offered to you....more then likely with the econ as it is now you wont be making that much fresh out of college anyway

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel P. View Post
    I am currently in my second year of a four year degree and I would say that if I had an opportunity like that I would probably take it especially with a fiance going to school to be an RN. Now keep in mind I'm from Kansas so wtf do I know

j/k

On topic, I would take the job, but I'm from Oklahoma, so wtf do I know

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Black
    99 Z28

stop thinking about it and take the job before it's not an option.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    what about taking the job and finishing the 1yr of school part time in 2 years or something like that... at least, you have more $ coming in, able to still finish school... and allows to get the wedding paid for... just an idea.
    Thats what I would do.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you only live this life once so make good decisions. Is what you're going to school for what you really want to do in life? It's better to be broke and happy than rich and miserable. Ideally you'd like to be rich and happy so do whatever you think would get you closer to that goal. Having a wife as an RN is a good step. Get her ass through school.

registered cobra eater

black
    2000 Trans Am

good words, i have an interview here in like 10 days and its 25.60/hr i just found out. And the comment about oil and natural gas it is a compressor operating job so its funny you said that. Its through dominion resources im sure some of you guys on the east coast have heard of it. But i think i have decided to take it, so long as i dont completely screw the interview up. Family first is what i have settled on. The school isnt whats gunna suck the most, honors majors are freakin real demanding so im not against leaving school lol im just gunna miss coachin

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Is this a serious thread? If so...............
    If you don't take this job you might really regret it later, take it and finish school part time.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

my dads got a similar job, he likes it....but yeah, im close to getting my RN, itd be so nice to have some financial support.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

normally i would say finish school but as the economy is now even with a degree there just arent jobs. so i would take the job that pays well now and if in a few years you want to do something else you will probably worked up a pretty good relationship with the people you work for and be able to ask to work a lil fewer hours so you could go finish up school

Thread Information