Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Should Corvette be its own Brand

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/01/r...olet-for-2010/

Given that in Europe Corvettes are not sold a Chevy dealerships and the introduction of a possible 4th model in the form of the Grand Sport, should GM make Corvette its own brand?

Considering what a great platform the C6 has, I don’t necessarily think it would be a bad idea to capitalize on economies of scale and offer a whole range of Corvettes. Include a V6 model to compete with 370z’s of the world all the way up to the ZR1 to compete with supercars. They have cut back production of the Vette so the manufacturing capacity is there, but is the market?

Given the financial situation of GM, this is strictly an academic exercise.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i read the title and thought "well, isn't it already?" since the corvette is the only internationally accepted american sports car in an affordable price range, why not? i think the market would be there, especially with a v6 powered diet-version.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I think a v6 in a vette is sacrilege. Dont pull the inline 6 in the first vette shit either. it didn't last lol

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Sort of the Acura and Lexus evolution. Yeah, I can see that as a possibility, but not one that GM would likely let happen without enough compensation to make the idea worthwhile. Now if GM goes bankrupt, maybe so.

Twin turbo V-6 might be an idea, but with the line of LS engines, why go that route?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Sort of the Acura and Lexus evolution. Yeah, I can see that as a possibility, but not one that GM would likely let happen without enough compensation to make the idea worthwhile. Now if GM goes bankrupt, maybe so.

Twin turbo V-6 might be an idea, but with the line of LS engines, why go that route?
    i like the idea of a lower end vette with a 327 cu in lsx engine in it that revs high!

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    i like the idea of a lower end vette with a 327 cu in lsx engine in it that revs high!
    Might be a good option. They'd need to use restraint though. Too many engine packages on the same body would likely become a logistical nightmare with at least one engine choice being largely ignored, but the company still needing to stock parts for it. Three engine choices as a max.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Might be a good option. They'd need to use restraint though. Too many engine packages on the same body would likely become a logistical nightmare with at least one engine choice being largely ignored, but the company still needing to stock parts for it. Three engine choices as a max.
    i agree, i talked to my repair shop people a while ago about vw and their big bucket of options. they said it's a nightmare ordering parts, three different brake setups for one model, one engine, one year. crazy!

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
    Include a V6 model
    lol

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

That is why I am suggesting that the vette be its own brand with different models. Share the platform for economies of scale but offer a number of drive train configurations (and to a lesser extent cosmetic differences) to compete across both performance and financial segments.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
    That is why I am suggesting that the vette be its own brand with different models. Share the platform for economies of scale but offer a number of drive train configurations (and to a lesser extent cosmetic differences) to compete across both performance and financial segments.
    It could work, but once again, I don't foresee GM letting its flagship sail off without 'em.

So what, four models?

Entry level - V6 or lesser HP v8
    Standard - V8
    Z06
    ZR1

Just add the entry level and that's what they have now. Sounds an awful lot like the Mustang line. Do-able.

It could work, but once again, I don't foresee GM letting its flagship sail off without 'em.

So what, four models?

Entry level - V6 or lesser HP v8
    Standard - V8
    Z06
    ZR1

Just add the entry level and that's what they have now. Sounds an awful lot like the Mustang line. Do-able.
    They tried an entry level Vette with the '99 hardtop. It wasn't very well received (sales-wise).

The current line is fine. Vette's are already very affordable. I don't see adding a V6 to the line as saving enough money to make it a mass-market car, it would just degrade the brand.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    They tried an entry level Vette with the '99 hardtop. It wasn't very well received (sales-wise).

The current line is fine. Vette's are already very affordable. I don't see adding a V6 to the line as saving enough money to make it a mass-market car, it would just degrade the brand.
    not necessarily. i europe, v8 engines are widely considered outrageous. the mentioning of 5.7 liter displacement has made me see a lot of headshaking!
    a v6 corvette would get access to a large group of potential buyers who look for a more "reasonable" sportscar, and are more interested in looks than performance.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

If corvette became its owne brand it would have gm as an umbrella parent such as Audi is to lamborghini.

Also a Corvette brand would have to be managed similiar to how lamborghini has managed their brand name (minus the suv/jeep). Yes you can have a few versions but dont over exploit the name or the car/brand loses what is special and unique about it.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

I think it's doable, like Toyota wants to do with its Prius line; the Prius name is so recognized now that they can afford to have a spin-off off its popularity.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

no.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Eh I dunno. Good idea on paper but I dunno if it would be so great in reality. Like mentioned they would have to keep the different options including engines simple.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i wouldn't be drawn to it. i've never liked corvettes and seein more models of them out there wouldn't draw me to them more. the car is a niche car...even as a base model so i doubt that they would be able to have a "corvette" brand remain viable in the long term.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Phuck no

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I can't see the Vette being it's own separate entity. Chevy/GM purists would rebuke the idea.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

What are the sales numbers for the last few years on the Corvette?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information