Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Shop owner has epiphanny at my car's expense...

So today I took my car in for some routine maintenance. Went to a shop a guy I work with (who's a retired chevy mechanic) recommended, who he takes his 1990 zr-1 too. I pull up and it's a nice shop. I see a gorgeous red c5 on a lift and various other nice cars in the shop/lot. Talk to the owner and he's nice and really seems to know his shit. We go over what all I need done and he gives me a quote (a much lower quote than I expected at that). I agree and he pulls my car in and starts work. Now, we're waiting on a part he had to order from an autozone up the road, so we talk as he starts changing the plugs in a van. He mentions that he stopped actually wrenching himself for awhile trying to expand and lost all his customers. So he had to start again, and everyone came back. He's been swamped ever since. Didn't know why people were like that. Well this little Mexican dude working for him (who spoke no English at all) was taking my car off the lift. He lowers it, gets in, backs it off the lift, out of the shop, and right into some poor guy's freshly detailed (there's a detailing shop next door) black GMC Yukon.

Question answered. And yes, I'm pissed. Getting a much needed paint job out of it though I suppose..

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I hate these threads.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUU

Sorry to hear man. They BETTER fork over the money for a respray.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post
    So today I took my car in for some routine maintenance. Went to a shop a guy I work with (who's a retired chevy mechanic) recommended, who he takes his 1990 zr-1 too. I pull up and it's a nice shop. I see a gorgeous red c5 on a lift and various other nice cars in the shop/lot. Talk to the owner and he's nice and really seems to know his shit. We go over what all I need done and he gives me a quote (a much lower quote than I expected at that). I agree and he pulls my car in and starts work. Now, we're waiting on a part he had to order from an autozone up the road, so we talk as he starts changing the plugs in a van. He mentions that he stopped actually wrenching himself for awhile trying to expand and lost all his customers. So he had to start again, and everyone came back. He's been swamped ever since. Didn't know why people were like that. Well this little Mexican dude working for him (who spoke no English at all) was taking my car off the lift. He lowers it, gets in, backs it off the lift, out of the shop, and right into some poor guy's freshly detailed (there's a detailing shop next door) black GMC Yukon.

Question answered. And yes, I'm pissed. Getting a much needed paint job out of it though I suppose..
    I hope the shop owner realizes he shouldnt be hiring people like that..... Does the guy even have a drivers liscense?

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Yeah, I'm getting a respray out of it (along with the owner of the GMC). And as for Mr. "No Habla Ingles"....I dunno if he has a license or not. I wouldn't mind seeing him deported regardless. I flat out told the owner too that's why people only come to his shop when they know he's doing the work himself.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yeah, I'm getting a respray out of it (along with the owner of the GMC). And as for Mr. "No Habla Ingles"....I dunno if he has a license or not. I wouldn't mind seeing him deported regardless. I flat out told the owner too that's why people only come to his shop when they know he's doing the work himself.
    Like my folks always say, if ya come to this country to live, LEARN THE LANGUAGE!!!

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I dont understand how the guy even got hired unless hes hired illegally. In New Jersey the only thing keeping the illegals out of the shops is the legal redtape you gotta go through to get a job as a mechanic IE Valid drivers liscense, background checks, piss tests etc Nevermind the fact that you need some sort of applicable education and or work experience etc.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

That is why I work on my own stuff.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Like my folks always say, if ya come to this country to live, LEARN THE LANGUAGE!!!
    At a more basic level than that, for the sake of this country as well as others, I would hope that most non-English speakers of driving age would be able drive out of a garage to a parking lot without destroying two vehicles in the process

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    At a more basic level than that, for the sake of this country as well as others, I would hope that most non-English speakers of driving age would be able drive out of a garage to a parking lot without destroying two vehicles in the process
    No, they park in their yards or in the middle (literally) of the damn street

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

What's not speaking English have to do with backing into a truck??

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    What's not speaking English have to do with backing into a truck??
    Closet racism.

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    I hope the shop owner realizes he shouldnt be hiring people like that..... Does the guy even have a drivers liscense?
    can you SPELL the license?

black
    98 WS6

1. how do you know he's illegal?
    2. how do you know he's Mexican?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pecha View Post
    Um, California

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Um, California
    just open minded

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Closet racism.
    Ahhh yes.....never would have thought of that one

So if I move to Russia, get a job in a shop, & back into someone's car & can't speak Russian, people are going to think I'm an uneducated illegal with no license to drive? Gotcha!

To the OP.....sorry about your car

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

You have to pass a citizenship test to be "legal" in this country, it's a real safe bet that someone that doesn't speak a word of english isn't gonna be able to pass the test.

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    You have to pass a citizenship test to be "legal" in this country, it's a real safe bet that someone that doesn't speak a word of english isn't gonna be able to pass the test.
    really? cause I thought that you were legal if you were born here. did you pass the citizenship test?

more seriously though - there are NO tests for the work permit, you submit the paperwork (that somebody else might have filled out for you - somebody like a lawyer for example) and you get the temporary permit

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

really? cause I thought that you were legal if you were born here. did you pass the citizenship test?

more seriously though - there are NO tests for the work permit, you submit the paperwork (that somebody else might have filled out for you - somebody like a lawyer for example) and you get the temporary permit
    Actually, it's the kids born here that speak English. I have to go through a 9 year old when I have to communicate with one of my neighbors. No one in the house speaks English but the two little girls. There are at least 5 adults that live in that house too.

Kind of the norm out here anymore

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Um, California
    Exactly. I've learned more Spanish out of necessity down here (especially Chula Vista) than I ever learned in the two years I was forced to take it in highschool..

And they're all Mexican in Cali. It's the other parts of the country that you run into Cubans, costa ricans, guatamalans, etc..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information