Thread: She's dying!

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

She's dying!

Well, I think my Firebird is dying the little things are starting to snowball and it may be time to trade her in. I think a lifter is stuck now and I can't decide if it's worth tearing apart the engine to replace it at this point and time. The engine oil pressure has tanked, the fuel gauge has stopped working, the thermostat works intermittently. Hopefully it's just gunk and I can clean it out with some oil treatment stuff and an oil change and replace the thermostat. Who knows....but she wasn't supposed to die! Not like this, not now!

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Eh, it's over a decade old. Little things are gonna go here and there, and yeah...nothing lasts forever, unfortunately. You're at that crossroads we all face. Either you love (and can afford) the car enough to eat the extra insurance and space in the garage/driveway and mod/restore the car as time and money allows while buying a dd with nothing but money...or you don't (or don't have the financial means or space).

I'm in the same spot. The T/A still runs great...but little problems are beginning to surface that are gonna peck at my wallet here and there. Personally, I decided that since she's paid for, and my last ticket comes off my record in 2 months (insurance is gonna cut in half) that I can afford to keep it and just buy a decent dd outright in a few months after I move. Park the bird and mod, fix, restore her as time and money allows.

It's decision time, good luck.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

I LOVE the car and it's going to kill me to get rid of her! But I can't afford to eat the insurance money every month and fix it up along with a new car payment and insurance and my motorcycle insurance. Even if flushing everything out works and the ticking noise goes away, I think it's time to sell her and see what I can get. I don't even know what I would want. I loved the firebird and trans am because they stood out in parking lots. I want another car that really stands out, but I don't know what yet.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Depends on your budget. There's still plently of cars that'll stand out in a parking lot and be just as quick (or quicker) than the f-body for say, under $20k.

G8 GT
    C5 Vette
    CTS V (LS2 version)
    GTO
    F150 Lightning
    Trailblazer SS
    Charger RT

There are plenty of other options out there, but maybe that'll get you started.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

That's the ticking noise. Anybody have any idea? Don't mind the smoke....I just replaced the egr valve gasket so it was burning off some of the leftover sealant.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

you may benefit more by having a mod move this to the General Help section. Some guys don't check this area out.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

Yeah, I posted another thread in the general help section after I made the video.

Thread Information