Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Sheer horsepower madness!

So apparently 624hp in your DD is suddenly as easy as taking your 2011 Mustang GT into your local Ford dealer and asking for the Ford supercharger package.

325hp suddenly sounds utterly puny in my "weekend car" i really really REALLY need to finish up my drivetrain because i suddenly will not be happy until my car can keep up with a "stock" ford supercharged GT.

Will we call these sc'd 2011 GT's the new Termi's?

I wonder if 700hp is a pulley and tune away?

so the kit is as follows.....

* 2.3L twin-screw supercharger assembly
    * Intake manifold
    * Complete air-to-liquid intercooler system
    * Drive belt
    * 47 lb./hr., high-impedance fuel injectors (M-9593-LU47)
    * Ford Racing ProCal tool with performance calibration
    * Produces 624 SAE hp @ 6900 rpm and 536 SAE lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm, at approximately 9 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel
    * MSRP $7,499.00 (black) and $8,099.00 (polished chrome)

it's 6,500 if you want to install and tune it yourself.

any ideas what this factory ford monster would run in the 1/4?

also.... if that happens to be faster than 11.5 would you get kicked from the track for your "stock" car being too quick? Do i smell a rule change coming up?

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/23/f...w-5-0-liter-v/

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i bet sales go up substancialy... i wonder if you can buy a new one and have that package added in ot the loan...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

just went to the Ford website. A basic GT with these goodies would run just south of 40k. considering a loaded TransAm was going for about 30 nearly 10 years ago I think it's a pretty stellar deal. I was sure to include replace the 3.31 axle with the 3.73s when i priced this out.... was the only option i bothered checking.

I bet one of these would run like a raped ape.

Just a thought... but considering that one of these can be had for less than the cost of a GT500 and with the likely similarly priced Z28 on the way does anyone think this is Ford's way of "cutting them off at the pass"?

I mean in order to just stay on even footing the Camaro suddenly needs the LS9. and since this is a factory available bolt on for the GT one would assume that a new top dog Mustang must be in the works..... and that freak would need 650+ hp from the factory with a full warranty to even be considered by buyers.
    Last edited by LSCyaL8R; 08-23-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    So apparently 624hp in your DD is suddenly as easy as taking your 2011 Mustang GT into your local Ford dealer and asking for the Ford supercharger package.

325hp suddenly sounds utterly puny in my "weekend car" i really really REALLY need to finish up my drivetrain because i suddenly will not be happy until my car can keep up with a "stock" ford supercharged GT.

Will we call these sc'd 2011 GT's the new Termi's?

I wonder if 700hp is a pulley and tune away?

so the kit is as follows.....

* 2.3L twin-screw supercharger assembly
    * Intake manifold
    * Complete air-to-liquid intercooler system
    * Drive belt
    * 47 lb./hr., high-impedance fuel injectors (M-9593-LU47)
    * Ford Racing ProCal tool with performance calibration
    * Produces 624 SAE hp @ 6900 rpm and 536 SAE lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm, at approximately 9 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel
    * MSRP $7,499.00 (black) and $8,099.00 (polished chrome)

it's 6,500 if you want to install and tune it yourself.

any ideas what this factory ford monster would run in the 1/4?

also.... if that happens to be faster than 11.5 would you get kicked from the track for your "stock" car being too quick? Do i smell a rule change coming up?
    It's not built with a supercharger. So a supercharged Mustang GT isn't by any means stock, or factory, no matter who installs the blower.

And there are DOZENS of truly stock cars that can run faster than 11.5 already out.

Ford must know something everyone else doesn't. Hypereutectic pistons in an engine with as much compression as the 5.0 has won't live long at 9psi. Does this kit void the warranty? I bet it does.
    Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 08-23-2010 at 09:17 AM.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    It's not built with a supercharger. So a supercharged Mustang GT isn't by any means stock, or factory, no matter who installs the blower.

And there are DOZENS of truly stock cars that can run faster than 11.5 already out.

Ford must know something everyone else doesn't. Hypereutectic pistons in an engine with as much compression as the 5.0 has won't live long at 9psi. Does this kit void the warranty?
    Even so - I think they've got a great idea & package.

Props to Ford on this one - and for 8 grand all-in, I'd say it's a steal.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Another thought..... by offering this as a factory available aftermarket option Ford isn't hurting their CAFE ratings and likely won't draw the ire of the insurance companies since technically they aren't selling 624hp cars in showrooms across the country. It's quite an elegant shot in the current hp wars I must say. I'm just dying to see the industry response to a pony car that will be eating vettes, vipers and ferraris all over the place.

I can't see this HP war lasting too much longer. It's probably easy for them to make a 700hp reliable engine these days and too many of those on the road would draw complaints from every safety organization under the sun for hp caps and other nonsense..... which honestly might not be the worst thing. It'd force manufacturers to create lighter stiffer chassis and that's great for all aspects of driving. straight line, turning, braking and efficiency.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Another thought..... by offering this as a factory available aftermarket option Ford isn't hurting their CAFE ratings and likely won't draw the ire of the insurance companies since technically they aren't selling 624hp cars in showrooms across the country. It's quite an elegant shot in the current hp wars I must say. I'm just dying to see the industry response to a pony car that will be eating vettes, vipers and ferraris all over the place.

I can't see this HP war lasting too much longer. It's probably easy for them to make a 700hp reliable engine these days and too many of those on the road would draw complaints from every safety organization under the sun for hp caps and other nonsense..... which honestly might not be the worst thing. It'd force manufacturers to create lighter stiffer chassis and that's great for all aspects of driving. straight line, turning, braking and efficiency.
    it's also a great way arround the fas guzzler tax...

i have a feeling ford just started a new trend to avoid shit like that...

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Even so - I think they've got a great idea & package.

Props to Ford on this one - and for 8 grand all-in, I'd say it's a steal.
    Ford only warranties the 5-6psi kits on the older engines. The high boost kits are NOT warrantied. So you just bought a brand new Mustang, added an $8000 blower kit, all from Ford. And WHEN, not if it blows, you're screwed because you have no warranty on either the engine or blower. That's a good deal?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Ford only warranties the 5-6psi kits on the older engines. The high boost kits are NOT warrantied. So you just bought a brand new Mustang, added an $8000 blower kit, all from Ford. And WHEN, not if it blows, you're screwed because you have no warranty on either the engine or blower. That's a good deal?
    what's the difference... no other companies cover your engine with the exception of lingenfelter...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

OMG! What will the "whine and cheese" Prius crowd say????

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

yes it still is a good deal. because warranty or not the intake blower injectors intercooler and tune were all done by ford powertrain engineers. It's designed FOR that engine. the tune is made FOR that setup using 19 months of data logged by ford in regards to the strengths and weaknesses of this new 5.0. If anyone should be developing a supercharger kit it SHOULD be Ford. They know more about this engine than anyone else ever will.

Feel free to buy a new GT and drop 10k+ properly supercharging and tuning it yourself only to have it blow on you anyway.

Warranty or not Ford wouldn't sell you a 6,500 kit knowing full well that after a month you will be an ANGRY consumer with a dead car telling all your friends never to buy a Ford again. Naturally at those power levels there is risk involved and Ford recognizing that some people will do stupid things with that power is wiping their hands of responsibility for what you do to it. But testing has been done and in the hands of a responsible person who won't sit around bouncing it off the rev limiter all day or won't downshift to the wrong gear and over rev it on a regular basis it should last a good long time.

I wonder what these would put down with an exhaust

note that the package doesn't include an exhaust heh heh...

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    OMG! What will the "whine and cheese" Prius crowd say????
    Nothing...cause they'll be too busy strip mining lithium for their batteries.

silver
    2002 ws6

GM also now sells the ls9 blower to be installed on the ls3--- 650 hp camaro.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Nothing...cause they'll be too busy strip mining lithium for their batteries.
    and replacing them every 6 years at 8 grand a pop--- meanwile the amount of polution it makes to replace those batteries negates the 6 years of polution it saves on the road. well done.

yes it still is a good deal. because warranty or not the intake blower injectors intercooler and tune were all done by ford powertrain engineers. It's designed FOR that engine. the tune is made FOR that setup using 19 months of data logged by ford in regards to the strengths and weaknesses of this new 5.0. If anyone should be developing a supercharger kit it SHOULD be Ford. They know more about this engine than anyone else ever will.
    Ummm... It's not made by Ford, it's sold through Ford. It's a rebadged aftermarket kit.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    what's the difference... no other companies cover your engine with the exception of lingenfelter...
    same thought I had - when I put the 8psi ProCharger kit on the '01 WS6 I had, it didn't get a warranty either.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I was sure to include replace the 3.31 axle with the 3.73s when i priced this out.... was the only option i bothered checking.
    With that power....leave the 3.31's

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    With that power....leave the 3.31's
    traction... less shifting... i'd move up to 3.42's or 3.55's though...

Well, if it's not stock, and it's not warrantied, how is this such a big deal?

You can buy a new 2010/11 Camaro SS, and have the GM dealer install the same TVS 2300 blower as a kit offered through GMPP, for the same price as Ford is asking.

How is the Ford product such a steal if Chevrolet is doing the same thing at the same price, albeit with a little more power?

White
    '10 ZR1

Well, if it's not stock, and it's not warrantied, how is this such a big deal?

You can buy a new 2010/11 Camaro SS, and have the GM dealer install the same TVS 2300 blower as a kit offered through GMPP, for the same price as Ford is asking.

How is the Ford product such a steal if Chevrolet is doing the same thing at the same price, albeit with a little more power?
    Well, I say that because a new Camaro is ~$36,000? Is that close? That is with 426 hp? Correct?

A new Mustang GT can be had for ~$30,000? One poster on this forum payed just under $30K out the door, and then add the $8,000 with the 'package' to get 625 hp for $38,000 is pretty good in my book. So yes, $2,000 for 200 additional horsepower is a steal to me.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information