Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    99 Z28

Service men (and women) question

When you're out in public in your uniform or fatigues or anything that identifies you as being a service person, do people tell you thanks? Does it happen a lot? Does it happen enough?

I saw some video of some sign language "thank you" from the heart that someone decided was the way to say thanks. Seen it? Thoughts on it?

I make it a point to give a handshake and a thanks whenever I see someone.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    When you're out in public in your uniform or fatigues or anything that identifies you as being a service person, do people tell you thanks? Does it happen a lot? Does it happen enough?

I saw some video of some sign language "thank you" from the heart that someone decided was the way to say thanks. Seen it? Thoughts on it?

I make it a point to give a handshake and a thanks whenever I see someone.
    there is a group that comes to the bar that i go to... every time they show up i get them a round... they come out of fort dix/mc guire afb and always stop by my bar on thier way home as a tradition...

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

i make a point to thank them
    on a random note my friends brother is in the navy and was on vacation in beverly hills with the family wearing his navy uniform. He got multiple thanks, but one guy just walked up and handed him a 100 dollar bill and said thank. He went into a bar and was not allowed to pay for anything that night. So apparently beveryly hills is very loving of military folks.

I get thanked quite a bit. I turely appreciate it also but I don't think I deserve it. I get paid to do it and I enjoy it. There was one time that really got me though. I was in McDonalds getting a quick lunch and there was a woman and a little boy in front of me. The little boy grabbed his moms shirt and said "Look mommy its a real hero, not like those fake ones on TV." The mom said "Thats right son and looked at me and said thank you." I was pretty touched by what the little boy said. I have gotten the other extreme also. I have been told I was a baby killer and several other great things like that.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Ppl usually dont say much to me i guess, most will give you a nod or something, but one group of ppl that will allways say something, are the men/women who are veterans... they know what its all about... something funny that came to mind reading the lil kid story was this lil kid goes "dad look that guy is trying to hide, but i can see him just fine cuz the wall is white." I had to chuckle a lil about that one..

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Twice now when I've been in a store with my recruiter he has been stopped and thanked...

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Quote Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
    I have been told I was a baby killer and several other great things like that.
    I don't get these kind of people. These are the ones that take everything for granted. I've had people thank me and all I can really reply with is "thanks for the support". It's nice to know that our people support us regardless of thier opinions on the political issues of these wars.

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    I don't get these kind of people. These are the ones that take everything for granted. I've had people thank me and all I can really reply with is "thanks for the support". It's nice to know that our people support us regardless of thier opinions on the political issues of these wars.
    I just smile at them and say "You're welcome." A few asked me why I said that. I told them what I do allows you to still have that opinion and voice it. That really pisses them off.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I have been told I was a baby killer and several other great things like that.
    Being from Los Angeles I got plenty of this when I was in and after I ETS'ed and went home back in the mid 70's. My how times have changed (for the better I might add).

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Being from Los Angeles I got plenty of this when I was in and after I ETS'ed and went home back in the mid 70's. My how times have changed (for the better I might add).
    You a Vietnam Vet?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

You a Vietnam Vet?
    Never went to Nam but served during that era. I was stationed in Korea when Saigon fell.

I truely feel sorry for the way guys were treated back then. I have a couple of uncles that were in Vietnam and came home to that shit. It was stupid. I bet Korea was a blast back then. How long were you in?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

4 years as 11C. Basic in Ft Ord, AIT in Ft Polk, 13 months in Korea and the rest at Ft Carson.

And Korea really was the land of "Sliding doors, heated floors and slant eyed whores" when I was there. I liked it better than stateside duty.

You Infantry? I was in A co, 1st/9th Infantry (Camp Hovey - a leg unit no less) in Korea and CSC 6/32nd Armor in Ft Carson.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 11-20-2008 at 01:35 PM.

4 years as 11C. Basic in Ft Ord, AIT in Ft Polk, 13 months in Korea and the rest at Ft Carson.

And Korea really was the land of "Sliding doors, heated floors and slant eyed whores" when I was there. I liked it better than stateside duty.
    I was at Carson for 5 years. Loved it there. I spent a year in Korea and 9 years in Germany and about 2 years in Iraq. Overseas duty is more fun than stateside still. Which mortar system did you guys use then? No I'm a mechanic after the Army renigged on my original contract.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

I was at Carson for 5 years. Loved it there. I spent a year in Korea and 9 years in Germany and about 2 years in Iraq. Overseas duty is more fun than stateside still. Which mortar system did you guys use then?
    Mortar system? I guess I need more input. 81mm humped on the back (or in a Gamma Goat) in Korea, 4.2" in Ft Carson with tracked vehicles (M113 variant). I was only #2 gun for a couple of months. Having a bit of brains and a talent for math landed me in the FDC (much better than guns) and later (the whole time in Colorado) as a Forward Observer. I like that the best as I had my own jeep and was alone most of the time.

Being in an Infantry leg unit in Korea made me the healthiest I'd ever been. Humping 80 lbs worth of gear for hundreds of miles will do that.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 11-20-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Mortar system? I guess I need more input. 81mm humped on the back (or in a Gamma Goat) in Korea, 4.2" in Ft Carson with tracked vehicles (M113 variant). I was only #2 gun for a couple of months. Having a bit of brains and a talent for math landed me in the FDC (much better than guns) and later (the whole time in Colorado) as a Forward Observer. I like that the best as I had my own jeep and was alone most of the time.

Being in an Infantry leg unit in Korea made me the healthiest I'd ever been. Humping 80 lbs worth of gear for hundreds of miles will do that.
    Thats what I meant, they call them systems now. The 4.2 was still being used when I joined. I worked on the M113's quite a bit. I spent most of my career in Infantry units. I was originally going to be a 11B and had airbourne and ranger as part of my contract. The army couldn't get me a ranger school date so I got out of he contract and became a mechanic which was mt second choice. At that time they were filling 11M, Bradley guys, and I wanted no part of that and would of been made to become one if I wasn't a Ranger. My recruiter was honest about that thankfully.

FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com

Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

I try not to highlight myself like that being a Marine, so most people when I'm home don't have a clue... and honestly I like it better that way. On a rare occasion (my buddies wedding) for instance when he wanted me to wear my uniform, afterwards I had so many people come up and pull me away to come to their table at dinner at a resturant to talk to them. I don't know, I don't feel I deserve a thank you, even having been on two deployments as a grunt (infantry). It's what I do, I wake up and put my uniform on one leg at a time and one boot at a time just like anyone else. It's the profession I chose just like others have chosen other jobs. I don't feel a thank you is at all necessary. I've enjoyed what I do.

My best time though and it still makes me smile today was the time that a little boy was staring at me, had to have been about 5 years old, and he came up to me, looked straight up at me and said oohh rahh to me. I smiled and said oohh rahh back and shook his hand.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

It happens sometimes. It used to be more prevalent from late 2001 to 2005 and then it sort of went away.
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

i agree, its almost an awkward time, but a kid at college told me i just joined to get sympathy....i proceded to tell him otherwise in a calm manner....yea right...

White
    02 WS6

I've been thanked quite a bit. Normally, it's the older folks. Ususally they walk up with out outstretched hand and say something to the effect of, "Thank you, Sarge." It really tickles me to death. I'm an AF brat, too, so it does really MEAN something to me. I usually respond w/ a "Thanks for the support." But I have to admit, sometimes I can't say anything back, I just sorta nod and smile.....a big SMILE.

BTW...I just got back from Osan, Korea about 9 months ago....I'd go back in a heart beat!! I had a freakin' blast over there!!!

dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information