Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebring Silver
    1999 Camaro Z28

Selective Service System

My younger brother recently asked me what this was and if he was required to do so.

How many of you are familiar with it and have signed up? I'm sure there are a lot of people that aren't familiar with it or were never told about it... or know it's the law.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some DMVs tie the SSS to your driver's license application.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by RiceEater View Post
    My younger brother recently asked me what this was and if he was required to do so.

How many of you are familiar with it and have signed up? I'm sure there are a lot of people that aren't familiar with it or were never told about it... or know it's the law.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some DMVs tie the SSS to your driver's license application.
    i've heard the same thing with the DMV...i'm not sure exactly how it works but they can file the paperwork for you when you get your license or when you get it renewed. i think it's when you get them renewed since your first license only lasts until you are about 18 if i'm not mistaken.

but yes it's federal law and it is the duty of every American male to sign up when they turn 18. failure to do can result in penalties.

i signed up when i was 18...at the post office.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Yea, in florida you sign up when you get your DL... if you arent 18 yet, it is just kicks in when you turn 18. Also, you have to sign up to register to vote.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

And for those of you that don't know, its the fucking draft.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Sign up and shut up. It's all volunteer since Vietnam in case you missed it.

What a bunch of pansies!!!

Poor little Johnnie might have to actually get up before noon and do something!!!

In the time of the Internet, to NOT know this is inexcusable.

I signed up for it in 1983 about one month before I JOINED the Army. You had to go to the Post Office to do it. Took all of ten minutes.

Geez.
    Last edited by jad628; 10-08-2007 at 07:11 AM.

pie
    free

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Sign up and shut up. It's all volunteer since Vietnam in case you missed it.

What a bunch of pansies!!!

Poor little Johnnie might have to actually get up before noon and do something!!!

I registered like a good little citizen when I turned 18. I then received my fair share of brochures from the army, marines, navy and air force all of which I quickly and efficiently shredded.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DanWS6 View Post

I registered like a good little citizen when I turned 18. I then received my fair share of brochures from the army, marines, navy and air force all of which I quickly and efficiently shredded.
    Which is perfectly fine. Nobody is forcing anyone else to join the ranks. But if the worst happens, young men better be ready to do what has to be done.

Freedom ain't free.

pie
    free

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Which is perfectly fine. Nobody is forcing anyone else to join the ranks. But if the worst happens, young men better be ready to do what has to be done.

Freedom ain't free.
    Agreed.

White
    '10 ZR1

I signed up when I was 18 like I knew I was supposed to. I considered joining one of the armed forces at one time, but decided against it.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

http://www.sss.gov/

It is easy.

As an evil recruiter (not really evil, but hey that is the public perception of us hard working recruiters), I am a normal guy like the rest of you).. I am very familiar with the process, because even if you are joining, you have to have a selective service number.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

As an Active duty Air Force Recruiter, I can assure you that zero of my leads come from selective service registrations .

It is a myth. Just like Pop rocks and soda causing your stomach to explode. .

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    http://www.sss.gov/
    As an evil recruiter (not really evil, but hey that is the public perception of us hard working recruiters)
    Heh, while not all of you are lazy lieing in-it-for-the-bonus assholes....

Plenty are. I've dealt with a few... and I can see why they have a bad name

pie
    free

As an Active duty Air Force Recruiter, I can assure you that zero of my leads come from selective service registrations .

So why did I start receiving the brochures in the mail, phone calls from recruiters, etc?

White
    '10 ZR1

Isn't the SSS more for the draft?

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    And for those of you that don't know, its the fucking draft.

The Selective service is for in case we did have to create the Draft. The idea is to know how many men and women are of the eligible age that can be drafted, so that the idiots in Washington can figure out how many to draft, etc etc.

The Uneducated always blame the Military for this shit and not the Federal Government.

As far as getting screwed by Recruiter's, it is the same as anything, one dumbass signs his life away, thinking he is going to get to go to paradise for his 4 years, and because he doesn't everyone cries.
    People emphasize the negative far more then the positive, it is easier then standing up for what is right.

The vast Majority of Recruiters are straight forward and honest, they have to be, otherwise they can get busted.

I knew not to sign up for just anything, I got exactly what I wanted, the schools and the locations. back way before many of you where even thought of.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by joerockhead View Post

The Selective service is for in case we did have to create the Draft. The idea is to know how many men and women are of the eligible age that can be drafted, so that the idiots in Washington can figure out how many to draft, etc etc.

The Uneducated always blame the Military for this shit and not the Federal Government.

As far as getting screwed by Recruiter's, it is the same as anything, one dumbass signs his life away, thinking he is going to get to go to paradise for his 4 years, and because he doesn't everyone cries.
    People emphasize the negative far more then the positive, it is easier then standing up for what is right.

The vast Majority of Recruiters are straight forward and honest, they have to be, otherwise they can get busted.

I knew not to sign up for just anything, I got exactly what I wanted, the schools and the locations. back way before many of you where even thought of.

+1 most non military people dont have a clue and are taken in by the stereotypes. The military has helped a lot of people out, financially and personally.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    Heh, while not all of you are lazy lieing in-it-for-the-bonus assholes....

Plenty are. I've dealt with a few... and I can see why they have a bad name
    Another HUGE Myth - my pay has nothing to do with if I put people in the Air Force or not, I have never received one penny extra for putting or not putting someone in the Air Force.

Other branches may give out bonuses for enlisting folks, The Air Force does not.

I often find that people have no clue what they are talking about, approximately 90% of the time when it comes to the Service, Especially the USAF.

Nothing personally against you, but when I can actually get someone to open up their thick skull and listen to what the AF is all about, more times than not they are begging to be a part of it. But sadly most people don't qualify.

Out of everyone I have put in, I have never had one person come back or call me and tell me they regreted the decision. Most of them still call and stay in touch and send pictures or emails telling me just how much I helped changed their lives for the better.

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Another HUGE Myth - my pay has nothing to do with if I put people in the Air Force or not, I have never received one penny extra for putting or not putting someone in the Air Force.

Other branches may give out bonuses for enlisting folks, The Air Force does not.

I often find that people have no clue what they are talking about, approximately 90% of the time when it comes to the Service, Especially the USAF.

Nothing personally against you, but when I can actually get someone to open up their thick skull and listen to what the AF is all about, more times than not they are begging to be a part of it. But sadly most people don't qualify.

Out of everyone I have put in, I have never had one person come back or call me and tell me they regreted the decision. Most of them still call and stay in touch and send pictures or emails telling me just how much I helped changed their lives for the better.

You go Zoomie!! And Thanks for serving.

By the way folks, being a Recruiter is a thankless job. longer hours then most, having to talk to angry teens who think they know it all, etc.
    That is why I never wanted to be one.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

So why did I start receiving the brochures in the mail, phone calls from recruiters, etc?

NO clue, but maybe you being 26 has something to do with it. Maybe back then they did it like that. I am just saying that NONE of my leads come in from the DMV, or Voter Registration, or SSS.gov.

My leads come from Military.com, Airforce.com, mail requests, call ins, and High School lists, and Air Force filled out lead cards. And most importantly perpetuation (word of mouth) from folks that served or had a family member serve.

Please don't question my integrity. It is one of the Air Force's three Core values.

Integrity First
    Service Before Self
    Excellence in all we do

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

When I went into the Army I volunteered and I went for combat arms, specifically the Infantry. I figured if I was going into the Army might as well go with the REAL Army.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information