Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Exclamation SCOOP: Motor Trend says new Camaro is a GO!

Where have I been? I've been reading a lot on the net and elsewhere that the new concept Camaro won't be out until 09 the earliest, and all of a sudden I see on the cover of the July MT that the new Camaro is a "go" and not only that, a new convertible is approved as well!

And, they go on to say the new Camaro is scheduled to go on sale in 2006. That's right, it says right on page 21 that it will go sale in Two Thousand Six!!!!

That must be a typo, surely they mean at least 07, 08 or even 09.

Threre will be no LS2 either, the V8 model will be powered by a 403 HP 6.2L Escalade engine, with power displacement on demand for better fuel econ.

Anyone else see this?

Or maybe it's just motor trend being motor trend printing useless BS like their reviews of cars and performance numbers...typical BS from motor trend like usual...IMO

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

are they smoking crack? on sale this year? I thought it took several years to get a new model to the marketplace.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

the article also says, "Weight is fast becoming a key issue for engineers working on the new Camaro, which will roll on a modified verson of the Australian-developed Zeta platform. The Zeta-platform Holden Commodore sedan, which will go on sale in Australia shortly (looks like one of our new LS1.com members already has one) will tip the scales at about 4000 pounds, according to insiders, mainly because of tough local crash test regs."

The article goes on to say that GM is trying to keep the weight of the new Camaro "down" to 3500-3600 lbs., in line with the Mustang GT.

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

There is no way it's 2006. They haven't even announced a plant yet much less started setting it up. When the saturn factory in Spring Hill closes it doors in a year it's going to take them a year to set everything up for the new cars that are going to be produced there.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Z/28

God I hope thats not true. If the thing doesn't have a LSx motor and weighs in over 4000 lbs to boot... I'll be buying a Challenger instead.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan
    There is no way it's 2006. They haven't even announced a plant yet much less started setting it up. When the saturn factory in Spring Hill closes it doors in a year it's going to take them a year to set everything up for the new cars that are going to be produced there.
    +1

Rob 94Hawk 319
    Man, I wish I would have said something a few months back.. Oh wait.. I did. Here's another little tid bit:

http://ctv2.theglobeandmail.com/serv...N/ctv-business

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Rob 94Hawk 319
    Man, I wish I would have said something a few months back.. Oh wait.. I did. Here's another little tid bit:

http://ctv2.theglobeandmail.com/serv...N/ctv-business
    so what was it you said a few months back, sorry must've missed it.
    interesting article, BTW. it says 2009 the earliest.
    Just tried to find the same story on MT's web site, no mention of it there.
    hmmmmm

Rob 94Hawk 319
    I said that it was going to have the L92 (6.2L) option the first year. The Zeta-"light" chassis (but if the damn options keep ballooning it'll be Zeta-fat). Personally, I can't wait to see it. I doubt I'll buy a first year car, but we'll see what happens.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

so i guess the idea behind the L92 motor is the fuel econ with displacement on demand, eh?
    I can see it now: www.L92.com

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

damnit...i clicked the link...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

old news and motortrend sucks ass anyways....

right now the unknown is, will there be a 6cylinder base model, a ls3 SS model, and maybe a 305 z28 model <---gay!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

actually I am really getting annoyed with car magazines, they have become very sponsor/advertisement/money orientated. What I mean by that is, many claims or statments are untrue and seem to favor current sponsors.

I read in one magazine that the new Charger runs the 1320 in low 11s, faster then the new z06.... BS

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7
    actually I am really getting annoyed with car magazines, they have become very sponsor/advertisement/money orientated. What I mean by that is, many claims or statments are untrue and seem to favor current sponsors.

I read in one magazine that the new Charger runs the 1320 in low 11s, faster then the new z06.... BS
    what mag was that?

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7
    old news and motortrend sucks ass anyways....

right now the unknown is, will there be a 6cylinder base model, a ls3 SS model, and maybe a 305 z28 model <---gay!
    in order to compete with the Mustang and to make enough units to be profitable ("profitable," now there's a word GM needs to look into) there will HAVE to be a base v6 Camaro.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

I don't believe any of that crap. First, I'd be surprised if they build it at all, considering the poor management at GM. Second, if it weighs more than 3500lbs, I won't buy it. Third, if they don't offer the LS2, or equivilent, I won't buy it. Right now I'm very dissapointed in GM, they're soooo slow in reacting to the market, they haven't made a good move in years, besides the new Vette, which I can't afford.

NBM
    '00 Z28

Perhaps GM needs to look into a blood transfusion. Get rid of the shit bird people they've had designing their last 10 years of failure. Other than SUVs and the Vette, GM has designed nothing worth a damn in 10 years! Well, I do like the SKY / Solstice.

********DISCLAIMER*************
    The last models of the F-body and the LSx engines were designed more than 10 years ago. So, my statement stands.
    Last edited by toneloc60; 06-16-2006 at 09:57 AM.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TMF
    I don't believe any of that crap. First, I'd be surprised if they build it at all, considering the poor management at GM. Second, if it weighs more than 3500lbs, I won't buy it. Third, if they don't offer the LS2, or equivilent, I won't buy it. Right now I'm very dissapointed in GM, they're soooo slow in reacting to the market, they haven't made a good move in years, besides the new Vette, which I can't afford.
    well i tend to agree with most of what you said, but at least they're selling a shitload of Escalades, especially the new one that's even more blingy than the previous model. The GM product planners never knew that the 'sclades would be that successful.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

it has to be a go, look at the damn chevy page, it's splashed ALLL over it. Gonna be a huge let down if it doesn't come out sooner or later:

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information