Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Scientific Laws, Hypotheses, and Theories

I wanted to post this for all you anti-science folks who obviously don't really understand what a scientific theory is and seem to think that the word theory is this sense means it's all just completely unsubstantiated guess work, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Scientific Laws, Hypotheses, and Theories

Lay people often misinterpret the language used by scientists. And for that reason, they sometimes draw the wrong conclusions as to what the scientific terms mean.

Three such terms that are often used interchangeably are "scientific law," "hypothesis," and "theory."

In layman’s terms, if something is said to be “just a theory,” it usually means that it is a mere guess, or is unproved. It might even lack credibility. But in scientific terms, a theory implies that something has been proven and is generally accepted as being true.

Here is what each of these terms means to a scientist:

Scientific Law: This is a statement of fact meant to explain, in concise terms, an action or set of actions. It is generally accepted to be true and univseral, and can sometimes be expressed in terms of a single mathematical equation. Scientific laws are similar to mathematical postulates. They don’t really need any complex external proofs; they are accepted at face value based upon the fact that they have always been observed to be true.

Some scientific laws, or laws of nature, include the law of gravity, the law of thermodynamics, and Hook’s law of elasticity.

Hypothesis: This is an educated guess based upon observation. It is a rational explanation of a single event or phenomenon based upon what is observed, but which has not been proved. Most hypotheses can be supported or refuted by experimentation or continued observation.

Theory: A theory is more like a scientific law than a hypothesis. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. One scientist cannot create a theory; he can only create a hypothesis.

In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology.

The biggest difference between a law and a theory is that a theory is much more complex and dynamic. A law governs a single action, whereas a theory explains a whole series of related phenomena.

An analogy can be made using a slingshot and an automobile.

A scientific law is like a slingshot. A slingshot has but one moving part--the rubber band. If you put a rock in it and draw it back, the rock will fly out at a predictable speed, depending upon the distance the band is drawn back.

An automobile has many moving parts, all working in unison to perform the chore of transporting someone from one point to another point. An automobile is a complex piece of machinery. Sometimes, improvements are made to one or more component parts. A new set of spark plugs that are composed of a better alloy that can withstand heat better, for example, might replace the existing set. But the function of the automobile as a whole remains unchanged.

A theory is like the automobile. Components of it can be changed or improved upon, without changing the overall truth of the theory as a whole.

Some scientific theories include the theory of evolution, the theory of relativity, and the quantum theory. All of these theories are well documented and proved beyond reasonable doubt. Yet scientists continue to tinker with the component hypotheses of each theory in an attempt to make them more elegant and concise, or to make them more all-encompassing. Theories can be tweaked, but they are seldom, if ever, entirely replaced.
    Last edited by BillyT; 03-20-2006 at 09:04 AM.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Why don't YOU stop trying to push YOUR bullshit on everybody??? You're not gonna change anybodies mind! I'm so sick of your opinions, that I don't even go to the political threads anymore. Give it a rest!

Silver
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfe13
    Why don't YOU stop trying to push YOUR bullshit on everybody??? You're not gonna change anybodies mind! I'm so sick of your opinions, that I don't even go to the political threads anymore. Give it a rest!
    I second that! Why doesn't he post his views on a website where people care. I'm sure majority of us on this board give two shits about the world of science and BillyT's anti religous views. If he spent more time working than typing a bunch of nonsense on this board, he may be able to buy another Camaro.

BOOSTD
    I guess I came into this thread without the background that I need to understand your argument.

Can you elaborate?

who gives a fuck?

Why don't YOU stop trying to push YOUR bullshit on everybody??? You're not gonna change anybodies mind!
    You know you're dealing with some real intellectual giants when Science = BillyT's Bullshit

I'm so sick of your opinions, that I don't even go to the political threads anymore. Give it a rest!
    Awww! What's wrong, did I kick your ass one too many times in the debate forum that ya had to run away?

If ya'll are so gulldern skeerd of Science, then why did ya'll even click on this here thread???
    Last edited by BillyT; 03-20-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honboy1
    I second that! Why doesn't he post his views on a website where people care.
    That's a pretty bad memory you got there boy! Forgot already about the poll where the majority of people here wanted me to stay and continue posting the threads I do, eh?

I'm sure majority of us on this board give two shits about the world of science and BillyT's anti religous views. If he spent more time working than typing a bunch of nonsense on this board, he may be able to buy another Camaro.
    Don't worry officer, I'm sure I still make at least twice as much money sitting here typing away and getting paid to use my brain as you do directing traffic and driving around stopping speeders. But thanks for the concern!
    Last edited by BillyT; 03-20-2006 at 02:05 PM.

john
    BillyT is darksided!

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

Don't worry officer, I'm sure I still make at least twice as much money sitting here typing away and getting paid to use my brain as you do directing traffic and driving around stopping speeders. But thanks for the concern!

Billy T, most lame fucking thing I have seen you post. You must be very insecure. Next it will be your dick is bigger than his. Very juvenile to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by opie
    Billy T, most lame fucking thing I have seen you post. You must be very insecure. Next it will be your dick is bigger than his. Very juvenile to say the least.
    Apparently your vision isn't what it should be and you missed the fact that I was simply REPLYING to HIS rude remark about MY financial situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Honboy1
    If he spent more time working than typing a bunch of nonsense on this board, he may be able to buy another Camaro.
    Edit: (Honboy1 as well as many others know and love to harp on the fact that I no longer have a Camaro)
    Last edited by BillyT; 03-20-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU
    who gives a fuck?
    People who prefer not to sound like ignorant fools when they speak.

Last edited by BillyT; 03-20-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by john
    BillyT is darksided!
    Ignorance, not knowledge, is the darkside.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT
    You know you're dealing with some real intellectual giants when Science = BillyT's Bullshit

Awww! What's wrong, did I kick your ass one too many times in the debate forum that ya had to run away?

If ya'll are so gulldern skeerd of Science, then why did ya'll even click on this here thread???

No, you just keep spewing your SHIT and you don't care about others political or religious views. You think science can explain EVERYTHING, and it CAN'T! Just keep your religious and political views in the proper forum.

I didnt' catch the other thread he was in. This guy is anti-religion? Most science freaks are I guess but in reality, science is their religion.

No, you just keep spewing your SHIT and you don't care about others political or religious views.
    Not true. I just have no tolerance for morons talking out their asses when it comes to scientificly proven facts.

You think science can explain EVERYTHING, and it CAN'T!
    I know, I know only Da Looooooord CAN!!!!!

Just keep your religious and political views in the proper forum.
    Why don't you just keep your narrow mind and childish temper tantrums out of my threads and you should be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by shaitiger
    I didnt' catch the other thread he was in. This guy is anti-religion? Most science freaks are I guess but in reality, science is their religion.
    It wasn't about a specific thread but all of the threads where these bible thumpers claim that the Theory of Evolution is not to be believed because it is a "theory", when they clearly are clueless to the fact that a scientific theory is not the same as the common usage of the term theory which means guesswork or speculation.

A theory is not, as it is considered to be in colloquial usage, a guess or conjecture, but rather a very strongly supported statement about the natural world that has survived all tests thus far.
    This thread of mine is a good example of what I mean: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15113

Silver
    2001 Cobra vert 530rwhp

Ignorance, not knowledge, is the darkside.
    So, are you admitting you are the darkside??

See post #25

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php...050#post211050

Quote Originally Posted by JWBZ SVT
    So, are you admitting you are the darkside??

See post #25

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php...050#post211050
    Nope, believing in something that isn't true is ignorance.
    Misstating something isn't.

Silver
    2001 Cobra vert 530rwhp

I had a few points to tease you about, but I gotta get started back on this Memo. I was giving you a hard time about the darkside thing. Sometimes it's hard to tell when someone is being a jerk or teasing...

Silver
    2001 Cobra vert 530rwhp

Nope, believing in something that isn't true is ignorance.
    Misstating something isn't.
    I had to get you while I had you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information