Thread: School Rant

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

School Rant

One of my classes (Microeconomics) is an online class. I chose to take it online because of my busy schedule and I've had the prof. before and couldn't stand the sound of his voice. His grading goes as follows:

200 points for the Midterm
    200 points for the Final (non-comprehensive)
    150 points for the Weekly Problem Sets (done online, due before 11pm Sunday)
    100 points for the Industry Report (8 page paper due May 3rd)
    100 points for Weekly Online Discussion

So anyway...I've been participating in the weekly online discussions, doing the problem sets every Sunday (I missed one because I basicly just forgot about it) and studying the chapters in preparation for the Midterm. The prof. posted that the Midterm could be taken at our convenience between March 23rd and March 27th at the Campus Testing Center (Hours: 0930-1700 M-F). Due to my busy schedule, I planned on taking the test Friday morning after my 0800 class. So, I took the test at 0930 and finished at around 1100 (he alotted 2 hours), and I think I did "ok" (guessing a low-B).

Fast-forward to tonight. I log on to do my weekly problems and I see that he posted an "announcement". In it he stated that only 4 people in the class took the Midterm. He also stated that he must have messed up and not informed the class properly, hence why only 4 of the 30 people in the class took the test. So now he is giving a week extension to the rest of the class. I really don't care that he is, but I would like some type of bonus (extra letter grade on my test or something like that) because I took it when I was supposed to. When I proposed this to the prof. and the rest of the class (since I don't know who the other 3 people were), I received uproar from the the class, and the prof. flattly stated that he would do no such thing because it was his fault that the rest of the class didn't take the exam. I then argued that he must have informed the class correctly because 4 people got the message. My argument fell on deaf ears.

Needless to say, I am pissed. This is why our society fails as a whole...no incentives are given to people who follow directions and accomplish goals on time. Instead, people are allowed to procrastinate, miss deadlines, and in general, fuck around and expect (and usually receive) extensions.

/end rant

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

"This is why our society fails as a whole...no incentives are given to people who follow directions and accomplish goals on time. Instead, people are allowed to procrastinate, miss deadlines, and in general, fuck around and expect (and usually receive) extensions."

^^ Nail... on the head!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    "This is why our society fails as a whole...no incentives are given to people who follow directions and accomplish goals on time. Instead, people are allowed to procrastinate, miss deadlines, and in general, fuck around and expect (and usually receive) extensions."

^^ Nail... on the head!
    yeah you couldnt be more right... like u daid the nail right on the head

Thread Information