Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Smile School me on hand guns

Should have my permit in 1-2 months so now I need to figure out what gun I should get. I am not trying to spend a fortune, but I don't want junk either. It will just be for going to the range & home protection should that need ever arise.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I hear the AK-47s are really nice lol

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

For a reasonably priced high quality weapon for home defense as well as something you can enjoy at the range the Springfield XD's are hard to beat.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

S&W 1911 is the best IMO. But to be honest a shot gun is great for home defense.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Since it seems the main purpose he wants the gun for is thr range so a shotgun would not be a good choice. I am also a 1911 guy but they are a little pricey and definately more finicky than an XD or Glock for someone that wants to shoot and not tinker.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Since it seems the main purpose he wants the gun for is thr range so a shotgun would not be a good choice. I am also a 1911 guy but they are a little pricey and definately more finicky than an XD or Glock for someone that wants to shoot and not tinker.
    LoL your kidding Glock's are junk. Pricey go to a pawn shop no need to buy new. Finicky I take mine to the range and shoot it. After the range I take it home and clean it. But heck I do that with all my guns. Have never had a issue with my 1911.

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Yes, I want something I can shoot not spending countless hours on maintenance. I'd also prefer to buy new.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

1911's do not require countless hours of maintenance. Buy new then they are not that pricey. Any gun fired requires cleaning. You can just shoot and not clean any gun if you want. But I would not advise it on any gun. Again all I do with the 1911's is take it to the range. Once done all I have to do is clean it. That is not countless hours. WoW.. You did ask to be schooled.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Glock 45 FTW

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

1911's can be finicky. It's a fact. Some more than others. Especially the smaller ones. S&W 1911's are pretty trouble free for the most part. He asked for a low cost quality gun and I gave him my advise. I don't like plastic guns either but they are reliable. Go to the 1911 forums and do some research. You will see that they are basically the handgun version of our cars. Something to be tinkered with and modded. They are rarely left stock. You will see guys having feeding and ejection problems with everything from crappy $500 1911's to $3000 custom guns. $400-500 can get you a very reliable handgun but not a very reliable 1911. And yes of course you have to clean any gun after a range session.

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    1911's do not require countless hours of maintenance. Buy new then they are not that pricey. Any gun fired requires cleaning. You can just shoot and not clean any gun if you want. But I would not advise it on any gun. Again all I do with the 1911's is take it to the range. Once done all I have to do is clean it. That is not countless hours. WoW.. You did ask to be schooled.
    You misunderstoof my post. I will clean my gun. I didn't count that as countless hours lol

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

fuck what all of us tell you, go to a gun shop, and pick up every gun thats in the strore. the gun that feels like a natural extension of you hand is the gun for you.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    fuck what all of us tell you, go to a gun shop, and pick up every gun thats in the strore. the gun that feels like a natural extension of you hand is the gun for you.
    this man beat me too it. I was going to give you the same advice. whatever gun feels the best to you is the one you should get. If you plan on concealed carry remember bigger isn't always better.

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

that is exactly the way a springfield xd feels....^^^^^^^

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Get the DE .50. Your dick will feel like its 20 inches long.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Well if you want cheap go 380. But I dont count it as a good for defense. I have owned 380's,9m,44 magnum,44 Desert Eagle,1911's,357's etc. Both 44's were pure over kill recoil. Better make sure you get them with the first shot. 380's not enough power in the round. I think the same thing about 9m's. I currently own a 357 magnum and the 1911. With magnum rounds the 357 is pure stopping power but only six rounds. The 1911 has good stopping power and 8+1. Ex Marine here and have shot a fair amount of weapons out there. If its not a 357 then its a 1911 in my book. I only paid a little over 600 for my 1911. Have had it for many years now without one feed or ejection issue. Heck we use to have to qaulify with the 1911. Were talking guns that have had thousands of rounds put threw them. And I never had a feed or ejection issues. Just speaking from personal experince not what I read off a board...

White
    2001 SS #3504

Ah here is my choice a CZECH 52 7.62x25 awsome perfomance and very inexpensive at 130 dollars new. And omg this little thing is loud and accurate as hell. I had a very nice 45 glock and this gun has it beat hands down IMO. here is what it comes with.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Get the DE .50. Your dick will feel like its 20 inches long.
    yeah and a little over 5 pounds with an 8" barrell youll walk with a limp too lol

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

I second the notion that you go to a larger shop with a well mannered salesman and spend your time holding and pointing as many as possible.

For ease of use and maintenance, Glocks are hard to beat. But they point frickin' WEIRD. I hate 'em personally, but there are about a million PD officers nation wide that swear by them.

I wouldn't go with a 1911 personally, either. They're damn sexy to look at and you'll feel manly knowing you have a ".45" but Browning himself exclipsed the design with the Browning Hi-Power. Rotating barrell improves reliability. I've seen more than one 1911 get stuck with hollow points if not using very high quality, stiff-springed magazines.

Springfield XD's are nice weapons. Never had a problem with them. Just don't get a stainless model. They apparently had several batches of substandard steel go through the mill and they tend to corrode. Doesn't affect the weapon's reliabilty if kept clean, but nobody likes an orange gun.

I spent a little extra for my pistol as I like to consider it both my primary side weapon and concealed carry pistol. I bought a H&K USP Compact in 9mm. I got it for $625 about 5 years ago. They're more now, sadly. I would go to my shotgun and/or a semi-auto rifle for home protection if I have the time/choice.

Also, what F'ing state do you live in where you have to have a permit to purchase a handgun? I ask as I want to make sure I avoid it. This is still the US, right....?

If you're getting a permit for concealed carry, don't forget to consider size and comfort. If you get the permit but never carry because it hurts to do so, you're no better off than you were before.

A handgun can be a great single weapon but for specialized in-home self-defense, a shotgun is better. Consider getting a $300 Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with a 20" barrel and a mid-size or compact pistol for concealed carry if you want a more ideal combination.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9 View Post
    A handgun can be a great single weapon but for specialized in-home self-defense, a shotgun is better. Consider getting a $300 Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with a 20" barrel and a mid-size or compact pistol for concealed carry if you want a more ideal combination.
    I said the same thing shotgun for home defense. Oh well... And on the 1911 I have not had issue.. But nuff bout that. 380's are a good cheap gun.

I know the Marine Corps used the 1911 since before WWII. I cant remeber people complaining about the 1911. Now the M16-A1 everyone told stories about. When first released in nam they had problems with them. Soldiers,Marines etc were complaining of jams and ejection problems. The first A1's did not come with a cleaning kit. The problem they found was the A1's that were jamming were not clean. After that all A1's and A2's came with a cleaning kits in the but of the gun. And the jamming and ejection problems went away for the A1. When I was getting out they were just testing 9mm's. They had several brake at the slider. I personally watched one break scared the f out of everyone at the range.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 12-28-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information