Thread: Sandblasting

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Sandblasting

Cleaned out the giant sandblast cabinet. The stuff that came with it was wore out 10 years ago.

Ive got stuff like LCAs and other suspension parts and engine parts I want to restore.

What would you guys reccommend for the media? I am going to get glass most likely

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

My info is from long ago, heads & parts that you don't want deformed could be done with glass.....anything you need gentle cleaning you could use walnut shells.
    There's many new kinds of media these days, maybe do some google searches for the type applications you intrend them for.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Check eastwood. com. They have a list for the different media and what it is good for.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Is this thread about the side effect of a persons first visit to a nude beach?

Shake and Bake Triple H Coating's Avatar

2006 Harley Night Train
    Depends on how you want to recoat the parts, if thats what you are doing. If recoating I would recommend aluminum oxide medium grit. If you are trying to polish out aluminum and clean it up, I would use glass.

Each process has a "best" media, you just need to figure out what your going to be doing the most of. We have several medias at several sizes to be sure we do whats right for the substrait and to have the right pattern for coating.

Keep in mind, glass will take a long time to remove old paint, powder, and any rust you might have. It is used more frequintly for cleaning and polishing.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can click on each type of media and it will provide you with a description and recommended usage: http://www.tptools.com/dg/183_Abrasi...ing-Media.html

Trans Am owner
    former

the sand blaster I use uses glass, and it tunrs out great.

we do everything from 40 year old original M/T vlave covers, to brake drums on my buddies chevelle. like some hardcore old paint/rust, and whatever else, and the glass sand cuts right through it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Most of the stuff I have is in good shape with minor issues. Some heads and all of it will be painted so Im thinking some really rough glass will work.

Shake and Bake Triple H Coating's Avatar

2006 Harley Night Train
    Glass cuts just fine. I guess what I was trying to get at is, if you are trying to do parts and get them done there is a right media for everything. If your in no hurry, then glass, or anything for that matter will cut. Some just not as fast and hard as others.

When time = money, you need the stuff that works fastest and best. If your doing it for yourself "hobby" then one media should be good. DONT BUY STEEL SLAG THOUGH UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING.

Thread Information