Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

ruger 10/22 question

maybe some of you guys can help me out?

i've got a 10/22 and the last time I was shooting it, some of the gasses would blow out the extraction side upon firing it. It wasn't every round, 50/50 chance of it happening. And it was enough crap to make your eyes tear up.

I checked the casings and they looked fine, except the right side of the casing always had black burnt/soot looking marks on it

just thought i'd ask here before joining up a firearm forum

Black
    99 SS

hum, ive never once had that issue with mine

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

I've put something like 150,000,000 rounds through mine with not one problem.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Poppn View Post
    maybe some of you guys can help me out?

i've got a 10/22 and the last time I was shooting it, some of the gasses would blow out the extraction side upon firing it. It wasn't every round, 50/50 chance of it happening. And it was enough crap to make your eyes tear up.

I checked the casings and they looked fine, except the right side of the casing always had black burnt/soot looking marks on it

just thought i'd ask here before joining up a firearm forum
    Are you using a low velocity round?

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Are you using a low velocity round?

no, i was using CCI mini mags. I don't remember if using a standard round caused it though...haven't been to the range in months since

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

i would say pull it apart and give it a good bath and oil down,should be fine after that id bet

semi auto .22's are famous for this type thing ,getting to much crud built up to function properly or jam up all together

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well a couple of things.
    1. Does your rifle say "magnum" on the barrel? Mags have a much higher pressure than .22Longs and not every .22 rifle is built for a mag round. It will say on your barrel .22Longs/shorts or magnums or all three.
    2. Sounds like your gas piston/chamber may be clogged. When was the last time you broke it down and cleaned it. The gas cylinders/pistons get carbon something fierce.
    3. How do you clean your rifle man? I clean mine (all of em) every time I go shooting.
    4. Firearm forum? What are you high? More gun folks here than any homo survivalist firearm forum
    Here...this may be of some help...
    http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...-rifle-258763/

Firearm forum....man I'll slap the yella off your teeth for saying shit like that....
    Last edited by Sarge; 06-17-2009 at 11:44 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep, just sounds dirty to me.

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

Yea 22's are some of the dirtiest rounds made! But hell I have probably shot 2 million rounds out of mine too with no problems?
    finally 551 RWHP!!!!

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Well a couple of things.

4. Firearm forum? What are you high? More gun folks here than any homo survivalist firearm forum

Firearm forum....man I'll slap the yella off your teeth for saying shit like that....

I have the .22 and a Mosin Nagant. I clean the Nagant as soon as I get home since I use old corrosive military ammo. The .22 I usually just give a quick spray down and lube. It does need a real good cleaning though, so that's definitely first on the list.

I'm pretty sure I've shot the mini-mags before with no problems. It says on the ammo box ".22 Long Rifle", it's just a hollow point, copper plated high velocity round. I have a friend with a .22 magnum and it's a completely different round compared to my LR.

I'm gonna give it a thorough cleaning and buy a brick of standard velocity rounds and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help guys.

On a different note...what rifles do you guys own? I've been thinking of picking up a M1 Garand soon, and then wait til next year when I get my CCL and start picking up some pistols.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Look for a Russian SKS. Best damn rifle ever made....Usually around $350 in excellent condition. 7.62X39MM rounds are cheap and pack a punch. SAIGA .223 or .308 semi automatics are a bargain also.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

everything I own is for hunting. I have a model 99 M1 marlin .22 that my dad gave me, a J.C. Higgins 12 gauge that my parents bought me for my 14th b-day, an 870 express 12 gauge, a Traditions .50 cal muzzle loader, and a bear compound bow. When it comes to guns if I can't hunt with it I don't have a purpose for it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Here I just went out in the shop and took a few pics of My Russian SKS. She is 58 years old and is excellent mechanical condition. I shoot the hell out of this gun
    She is "as issued" all original and all numbers matching. Aint no pretty piece but she is functional as hell.....Knock a hog on his ass from 150 yards+ no problem.....

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

That's a good lookin SKS, Sarge.

I looked for a good SKS for a while when I was a teenager. That was right after they banned the imports though. I decided last year to have an AK built off of a Polish parts kit. A good, clean SKS is getting harder and harder to find.

You're right, the 7.62x39 is a helluva bullet.

I just bought a 5.56 NATO recently, though, as I'm worried the current crop of knuckleheads in DC may decide on something silly like banning imported ammo if they're too worried about losing mid-terms with more broad-stroked action. Domestic 5.56 is way cheaper than domestic 7.62x39.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And here...I use this Czech stuff...outstanding for a .22 round...make a mess out of a coyote brain at 100 yards.....
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...savage-hipower

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9 View Post
    That's a good lookin SKS, Sarge.

I looked for a good SKS for a while when I was a teenager. That was right after they banned the imports though. I decided last year to have an AK built off of a Polish parts kit. A good, clean SKS is getting harder and harder to find.

You're right, the 7.62x39 is a helluva bullet.

I just bought a 5.56 NATO recently, though, as I'm worried the current crop of knuckleheads in DC may decide on something silly like banning imported ammo if they're too worried about losing mid-terms with more broad-stroked action. Domestic 5.56 is way cheaper than domestic 7.62x39.
    Nah I know of some really nice/clean SKS's for sale around here....also the 7.62 is cheaper than the .223....
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...oducts_id/2131
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...oducts_id/1039
    I have shot this SKS and it is nice....
    http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=23182
    He will take $300 I assure you

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

I said domestic 7.62.

I'm just hedging my bets against any import bans.

Edit: And I already added a couple of the other Russian 7.62 rifles to the stack. I don't really need another.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Here I just went out in the shop and took a few pics of My Russian SKS. She is 58 years old and is excellent mechanical condition. I shoot the hell out of this gun
    She is "as issued" all original and all numbers matching. Aint no pretty piece but she is functional as hell.....Knock a hog on his ass from 150 yards+ no problem.....

Click for full size
    kick ass flame bandanna ya got there dude!

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Well a couple of things.
    1. Does your rifle say "magnum" on the barrel? Mags have a much higher pressure than .22Longs and not every .22 rifle is built for a mag round. It will say on your barrel .22Longs/shorts or magnums or all three.
    2. Sounds like your gas piston/chamber may be clogged. When was the last time you broke it down and cleaned it. The gas cylinders/pistons get carbon something fierce.
    3. How do you clean your rifle man? I clean mine (all of em) every time I go shooting.

Every time I shoot I clean all the weapons I shoot. Im going more along the line you have the mag rounds in a 22lr.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

And here...I use this Czech stuff...outstanding for a .22 round...make a mess out of a coyote brain at 100 yards.....
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...savage-hipower
    I like the CCI 22lr... And if I am on a budget 550 bricks of Blazer. Federal sells a good 500 brick also..

Did you get a chance to look at the link I sent you Sarge?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information