Thread: Roomate deal

Blue

Roomate deal

So i moved into this place with both our names on the lease,our lease expires in mar 08- I want this place for myself,How do I get on the lease for myself without renewing him? Do i go to the leasing office and tell them i want the place for myself, do I tell them I dont want hiom here and try to keep it quiet or do i tell them nothing?i know he wants to stay here but I have the money to do it all myself,Dont want roomates anymore.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

tell him when the lease is up he has to go, and tell office to put it in your name.

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedblackgto View Post
    tell him when the lease is up he has to go, and tell office to put it in your name.
    Im sure he wants to stya her as well,he is the kind of person to make it difficult

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

You should have had a Roommate Agreement.

Since roommates who sign one rental agreement are jointly and severally liable under that agreement, it is a good idea to spell out some basic rules in a roommate agreement. "Joint and several liability" means that any or all roommates can be held responsible when any roommate fails to meet obligations under that rental contract, such as not paying rent, violating a lease clause or damaging the apartment.

Since you don't have that, its every man for himself. It all comes down to who runs to the rental office first and signs a lease agreement insuring himself the apartment/house whatever. Then, you can tell the other guy you want him out. But that's some underhanded shit.

You should be up front and talk to your roommate and work something out.
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    You should have had a Roommate Agreement.
    Then, you can tell the other guy you want him out. But that's some underhanded shit.

You should be up front and talk to your roommate and work something out.
    Race is right I agree, thats why I said what I did....my .02 worth....never had a room mate...Let this be a lesson to you youngsters....you'll be on Judge Judy next...>LOL

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

If you are both equally responsible on the lease, if he doesnt want to move. And you don't want to move, but you also don't want him to stay. But he doesnt mind staying roommates.

Then I would imagine, that since you are the one wanting to change things, You should be the one that has to move. Because he is okay with the current arrangment. And if he didn't do anything wrong, then IMO he shouldn't have to move unless he wants to. If he doesnt have a problem with you and you are the one up and changing things. Then I think the ball should be in his court determining if he wants to leave.

Good luck.

Hopefully he will just agree to move out.. But you should probably hold a civil conversation about it, well ahead of time. Come to an agreement, and then get it in writing what the plan is. Get it notorarized with both of your signatures.

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    If you are both equally responsible on the lease, if he doesnt want to move. And you don't want to move, but you also don't want him to stay. But he doesnt mind staying roommates.

Then I would imagine, that since you are the one wanting to change things, You should be the one that has to move. Because he is okay with the current arrangment. And if he didn't do anything wrong, then IMO he shouldn't have to move unless he wants to. If he doesnt have a problem with you and you are the one up and changing things. Then I think the ball should be in his court determining if he wants to leave.

Good luck.

Hopefully he will just agree to move out.. But you should probably hold a civil conversation about it, well ahead of time. Come to an agreement, and then get it in writing what the plan is. Get it notorarized with both of your signatures.
    I dont think i should move out,I think whoevere wants it bad enough should act 1st and try to get the other person off the lease.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by tornado View Post
    I dont think i should move out,I think whoevere wants it bad enough should act 1st and try to get the other person off the lease.
    Yeah but legally I dont think it works that way.

That is like saying in a Divorce -- if someone says I want the kids, they automatically get it, because they said it first. Ridiculous.

The fact is "IF" you are the only person requesting the change. IF You want change bad enough, Then you should be the one to Uproot.. Sorry but that only makes sense to me.

But good luck, I hope you get to keep you place and you accomplish your goal of living there by yourself. I just hope you don't earn it in a shady way.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Yeah but legally I dont think it works that way.

That is like saying in a Divorce -- if someone says I want the kids, they automatically get it, because they said it first. Ridiculous.

The fact is "IF" you are the only person requesting the change. IF You want change bad enough, Then you should be the one to Uproot.. Sorry but that only makes sense to me.

But good luck, I hope you get to keep you place and you accomplish your goal of living there by yourself. I just hope you don't earn it in a shady way.
    I couldn't of said it better.

Since you're the one that wants to live alone, you should be the one to pack up your stuff. Legally he has just as much right to stay there as you...morally he's the one that should stay unless he can't afford it alone.

When I was in the military my roommate picked up Sgt. and couldn't live in my barracks room anymore. He could've been a douchebag and told me to pack my shit but he didn't...he did the right thing and moved. It's little things like the decision you're about to make that shows a persons true character...or lack thereof. Not only would you be a douche for trying to make him leave....but you'll be a coward for trying to get him off the lease behind his back.
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 07-14-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Blue

well I dont think he can aford this place himself,I make alot more anyway.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

well I dont think he can aford this place himself,I make alot more anyway.
    Yeah if he needs a roommate and can't afford the place without one. Then I would say that helps your cause.

Just be civil about it and let him know what your planning, Don't screw him over, because you are affraid of the topic. Plus the fact that he is going to need a roommate means He is going to need time to find someone else to live with. Don't leave him out to dry.

I know I would have much more respect for someone who can come to me and talk to me about things, instead of sneaking behind my back to "try" to get me removed from my lease (which I don't think that is even possible) -- But trying is still wrong.

Blue

Yeah if he needs a roommate and can't afford the place without one. Then I would say that helps your cause.

Just be civil about it and let him know what your planning, Don't screw him over, because you are affraid of the topic. Plus the fact that he is going to need a roommate means He is going to need time to find someone else to live with. Don't leave him out to dry.

I know I would have much more respect for someone who can come to me and talk to me about things, instead of sneaking behind my back to "try" to get me removed from my lease (which I don't think that is even possible) -- But trying is still wrong.
    Yea well if u knew this guy,like i did when i moved in with him,he only cares about 1 thing,HIM.

Thread Information