Thread: Robert Half

Robert Half

Anybody heard of or work with this company? I don't know if it a good place to work for. Any feedback is appriciated. Thanks.

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SATXBlackSS View Post
    Anybody heard of or work with this company? I don't know if it a good place to work for. Any feedback is appriciated. Thanks.

I did a one week project for them. I was not impressed with the pay.
    But they are your typical recruiters.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1998 Z-28, 2010 SS

What is your area of expertise? Do you have a degree? What are you looking for down the road?

Robert Half is a good company to work with, depending on where you want to go with your career.

I personally have never worked for them, but have worked with consultants from there in various projects. I have been a consultant for 20 years. If you like to meet new people every 6-12 months, travel, expand your knowledge, this is a great gig to get into.

One thing, you don't have time to get bored. However, it takes alot of dedication to do a consultants job. You need to know what you're doing, be able to land on your feet and start working when you get placed. Very little time for any type of learning curve. You need to be confident in you abilities, be assertive, able to work under pressure, take a little (sometimes alot) of abuse from the client and be able to smile about it.

If you can do these things, consulting may be what you want. The pay is great once you establish yourself, which with a little determination really doesn't take that long.

I am done with my degree next month (BS Information Systems). They want me to do a perm full time SQL programming position with the actual company, so it's not going to be contract or consultant or temp. The pay is decent for the little experience I have. I will be making around $40,000 starting in San Antonio, which is about avg for my experience here in town. I am just wondering what this company is about and how good they are. It gets difficult to weed out all of the pyramid schemes and other crap from monster. Would you suggust this as a good first IT company to be with?

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1998 Z-28, 2010 SS

I am done with my degree next month (BS Information Systems). They want me to do a perm full time SQL programming position with the actual company, so it's not going to be contract or consultant or temp. The pay is decent for the little experience I have. I will be making around $40,000 starting in San Antonio, which is about avg for my experience here in town. I am just wondering what this company is about and how good they are. It gets difficult to weed out all of the pyramid schemes and other crap from monster. Would you suggust this as a good first IT company to be with?
    Like I said, they are a good company, used to be tied to one of the big financial giants, but spun off to become purely consulting.

If you stick with it, I think you will enjoy the work. My suggestion is to stay with them for 18-24 months, get that experience under your belt, then see what is available. Consulting can be a very rewarding career, if you are cut out for it. Some are, some aren't.

I have worked for quite a few consulting firms and I have always moved up when I changed. I am currently with one of the top consulting firms in the nation. Just look at Phil Mickelson's cap for the name.

Good luck.

I have seen the cap. I never heard of them and I thought it was more golf related. Thanks for the info on the company.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1998 Z-28, 2010 SS

I have seen the cap. I never heard of them and I thought it was more golf related. Thanks for the info on the company.
    A spin off from KPMG, one of the big four financial companies. Used to be called KPMG Consulting, a subsidiary of KPMG LLP. Now an independent company, no longer associated with KPMG. Doing well in the marketplace.

what about Accenture? Isnt that consulting? My friend works for them in dallas, what do consultants do anyways?

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1998 Z-28, 2010 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    what about Accenture? Isnt that consulting? My friend works for them in dallas, what do consultants do anyways?
    Accenture is another consulting firm.

It depends on what the client is looking for in the way of help, ideas, etc. It can run the gamit of supplying temporary staff to fill holes to coming in, doing studies on entire organizations and implementing solutions to a wide range of issues.

My particular expertise is in IT, specifically in documentation. I write stuff.

I currently work on Sarbanes-Oxley financial audit documentation for a client. I have been on my current gig almost two years.

I love my job and have for quite some time.

Thread Information