2011 Prius

Uuummmm, yea.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

is it?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Very old technique. Ive done it many times on rigs. starting fluid strayed inside the tire and then light..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Very old technique. Ive done it many times on rigs. starting fluid strayed inside the tire and then light..
    i had no idea.. much less seen it on video.. could have used this many times in life...

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Yea thats How I seated the beads on many of offroad tires from 33" up to 44" .My Dad taught me that ,which My grandfather taught him. so yea it is a very old trick.

2011 Prius

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    i had no idea.. much less seen it on video.. could have used this many times in life...
    Well when it's like -20 outside and you're playing with a 24" wheel and an 18 ply tire it can be hard to get the side wall to flex enough to get a good bead seal. The rapid expantion of heat and air inside will cause it to blow the tire right onto the rim because the pressure can't get out fast enough causing the tire to inflate..

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Funny but that would be an illegal repair . cannot repair sidewalls,leave it to Firestone

White
    2008 Hummer H3

PS I've seen it cold enough that the technique did'nt work @ all too.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

PS I've seen it cold enough that the technique did'nt work @ all too.
    How cold was that? I never had it not work.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Worked at a truckstop when I was in high school and college. We used to get the wheels to launch up off the floor after putting the ether to them and flicking a match. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but it sure was a lot of fun.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    How cold was that? I never had it not work.
    -40 once. Being in the millitary you prolly know about how stiff the side wall is on an 18 ply. Now imagine how stiff it is when it's -40 lol..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Worked at a truckstop when I was in high school and college. We used to get the wheels to launch up off the floor after putting the ether to them and flicking a match. Probably not the smartest thing in the world, but it sure was a lot of fun.
    Yup been there myself. Back then tho my boss finaly grew a brain and baught an inflation ring. Made life so much nicer back then.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

-40 once. Being in the millitary you prolly know about how stiff the side wall is on an 18 ply. Now imagine how stiff it is when it's -40 lol..
    I am not or never was in the military the tires I was talking about was the offroad tires for pick ups. Although I am also a farm boy and know about tractor tires and what a pain they can be. The coldest weather I have ever been in was -20 not counting windchill but with the wind it would actually take your breath away. and that was the last el ninio (sp?) when I lived in VA. freaking weird for that part of the country.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Now that I think about it don't know how much safer it was with the ring either. Forget to hold on with both hands, hit the trigger and...POW,FLASH, lights out mo fo..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    I am not or never was in the military the tires I was talking about was the offroad tires for pick ups. Although I am also a farm boy and know about tractor tires and what a pain they can be. The coldest weather I have ever been in was -20 not counting windchill but with the wind it would actually take your breath away. and that was the last el ninio (sp?) when I lived in VA. freaking weird for that part of the country.
    Oh my bad it's the avatar.. Yeah 18 ply don't play..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yup been there myself. Back then tho my boss finaly grew a brain and baught an inflation ring. Made life life so much nicer back then.

Our ring never seemed to work very well.

My best tire fire story: Working the evening shift, I had a guy that must have been fairly new to truck driving get a flat. He pulled up in front of the bay and I went to work on his tire. Removed it from the trailer, dismounted it and patched the leak. He was watching the whole process quite closely and asking questions. As I am re-mounting the tire, a couple of my friends, that also worked there, stop in on their way to a party. They had already had a few and were feeling pretty good. They volunteered to help, so I let them finish mounting the tire. As I remove the valve stem, my friend reaches for the ether and just hoses this thing down. The truck driver didn't have a clue and was about to ask what the hell we were doing when my other friend lit the match. The driver's jaw dropped and he turned to run just as the match was flicked --- KAWHOOOOOOOOM! The tire launched up and I thought the poor guy was going to piss himself. Good times...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Our ring never seemed to work very well.

My best tire fire story: Working the evening shift, I had a guy that must have been fairly new to truck driving get a flat. He pulled up in front of the bay and I went to work on his tire. Removed it from the trailer, dismounted it and patched the leak. He was watching the whole process quite closely and asking questions. As I am re-mounting the tire, a couple of my friends, that also worked there, stop in on their way to a party. They had already had a few and were feeling pretty good. They volunteered to help, so I let them finish mounting the tire. As I remove the valve stem, my friend reaches for the ether and just hoses this thing down. The truck driver didn't have a clue and was about to ask what the hell we were doing when my other friend lit the match. The driver's jaw dropped and he turned to run just as the match was flicked --- KAWHOOOOOOOOM! The tire launched up and I thought the poor guy was going to piss himself. Good times...

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

My best friend and I was mounting a set of 44" swampers for a friend of ours. It was quite funny the entire situation. The guy recently added more lift and was selling me his 35" ground hawgs so we used my BF dad's log splitter to pop the beads and then prybars and tire bars to do the swaps then alot of ether and matches and a phonecall to the Police and fire dept from a crazy neighbor later he had his 44" on his truck and I had 35"s on mine .

The PD showed up shortly before the FD they was all laughing at us as we was doing the tires and stuck around JIC one of us got hurt or something horrible happened. The Capt. on the FD I actually graduated with so he just shook his head and said "should have known by the address you was involved somehow"

Geez how did we ever survive this long

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information