Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Registration/Title Issues

I bought an 02 z with 27xxx miles. The odometer reading at the time of sale was not written on the title. After dealing with college and 3 weeks later, I finally got myself to the NJ DMV. I wrote the current odometer reading on the title and remembered I had the tires changed the first week of having the vehicle, so there would be conflicting mileage reports. I check the box that says "this is not accurate, do not use the odometer reading for accuracy." Well the DMV claims that if I register it as-is then I most likely will never be able to trade in the vehicle and will lose a significant amount of money off the car, unless I get a notarized letter from the previous owner stating the actual mileage at the time of purchase.

The next day I get pulled over, tell the officer my story, and my Camaro gets impounded for no registration.

I called the previous owner and he says he'd be willing to have the document signed. For the past 2 days he has not been picking up my calls and is not responding to my voicemails. I know I fucked up and I know it was stupid, but does anyone know what can I do at this point???

tater_salad
    Oh, man, I thought it said titties...

Anyway, I can't help, just lookin' some boobies. Thats sucks a mean one though.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Damn that is some shit, have you talked to any cops and tell them the situation. Maybe they can help get in touch with the previous owner, maybe you can look him up yourself and find him

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

So you bought a car without knowing the mileage???????

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    So you bought a car without knowing the mileage???????
    I bought the car without the mileage written on the title. When I picked it up it had 27xxx miles on it.

Because the bills will only pile up with the impound fees, what I think I'm going to do is threaten the previous owner (it's a shot right?). Tell him that federal law requires that the odometer be written on the title by the buyer at the date of sale, and because he did not do so he is responsible for the sunken cost of my vehicle due to a tainted history report (if I register the vehicle with the title that I have right now with no notarized letter of the odometer issue).

My guess is that he is not complying with me because he either does not care or assumes I will implicate that I am setting up a suit for him to pay for my fines & tow.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

That sucks

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Well i threatened to sue and got a signed letter. It's not notarized, but hopefully that will be sufficient to the DMV. I'm crossing my fingers all the way to the DMV tomorrow...driving my grandfather's Camry

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Keep us updated man

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    Well i threatened to sue and got a signed letter. It's not notarized, but hopefully that will be sufficient to the DMV. I'm crossing my fingers all the way to the DMV tomorrow...driving my grandfather's Camry
    ok well first ive been in the car buisness awhile.. so let me give u my two cents on this situation.
    first, it is your responsibility as the buyer *when dealing with a private seller* to make sure that all the information is correct on documents. i'm sorry i've given out and have delt with a lot of titles before and i do not think the DMV is going to be happy with a signed letter, because you could have signed a peice of paper saying how many miles the car has on it. it needs to be notorized in order for it to be an offical document that they can go by. i know PA takes this kind of situation pretty serious, hope your state is able to bend for you. good luck though, hope everything works out for you.

Fault lies with you, not with the seller.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    ok well first ive been in the car buisness awhile.. so let me give u my two cents on this situation.
    first, it is your responsibility as the buyer *when dealing with a private seller* to make sure that all the information is correct on documents. i'm sorry i've given out and have delt with a lot of titles before and i do not think the DMV is going to be happy with a signed letter, because you could have signed a peice of paper saying how many miles the car has on it. it needs to be notorized in order for it to be an offical document that they can go by. i know PA takes this kind of situation pretty serious, hope your state is able to bend for you. good luck though, hope everything works out for you.
    Hope so. I don't think the original receptionist I dealt with really knew what was necessary to make the changes. I just hope I can deal with her again rather than someone that's going to do it by the books. I'll also bring additional proof of mileage with the first service bill I got and the mileage reported at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcosynthesis View Post
    Fault lies with you, not with the seller.
    I know, like I said I fucked up. I am a very courteous person. For this guy I gave him a check for the full amount of the vehicle after winning it on Ebay, knowing that I would not be able to pick it up until 6 weeks later. He seemed to have financial issues and needed it. He also drove the car about another 500 miles since the date of purchase, which I shrugged off. I also gave him a $100 gratuity for being truthful about the car and making it an overall smooth transaction (before this happened). The thing is, when I ask for one little favor to save me thousands, he decided to ignore my calls and not give a fuck about me or the car. That's when I got pissed and pulled out the law card.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

BTW, the car is still in impound and I am going to the DMV tomorrow to see if they'll accept this letter as proof.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Good luck man, I must say it was a major oversight on your part and I wish you the best in getting it taken care of

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I would have just wrote in a bit less than what was written on the tire receipt and called it a day. I guess you know what to do next time. Good luck!

Thread Information