Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Red ring of death

My 2 and a half year old xbox just died on me. Already called microsoft and a coffin...I mean box is being mailed to me for me to send it to them for a free repair.

I'm curious though, do they fix them or replace them? And if they fix them, what part exactly is fixed or replaced?

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post
    My 2 and a half year old xbox just died on me. Already called microsoft and a coffin...I mean box is being mailed to me for me to send it to them for a free repair.

I'm curious though, do they fix them or replace them? And if they fix them, what part exactly is fixed or replaced?

I just mine back yesterday, they fixed mine but the first 360 I had they replaced when I sent it back. Just depends on what is wrong. They are extremely fast now, got back back in a week

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Sweet

how long is the warranty good for? How do i know if mine is still warrantied?

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by bmyers View Post
    Made was made in 03/06 and no questions asked

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

Red ring of death=3 year warranty. I've been through 2 so far. They've replaced both of them, never fixed them.

Wish I had an LS1. kickflippin1's Avatar
    When i got the 3 red lights, my Xbox was gone for a month. Mine was replaced, not fixed.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

1st time they exchanged it. 2nd time they fixed it. this time when they fixed it I sent it out monday and got it back that next wednesday. 9 days later.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I'm on my third Xbox. They replaced it both times it's happened to me. take around a month.

NBM
    02 M6 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by LgndKller20073 View Post
    Red ring of death=3 year warranty. I've been through 2 so far. They've replaced both of them, never fixed them.
    same here

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by bmyers View Post
    They made it so it applies to all Xbox 360's, even if you got it used. I think it's a 3 year warranty? Not sure. They're all bound to break sooner or later.

Maroon
    2000 Z28 LS6, LT,ORY

happened to me also. Took aprox a month they also send you a free 1 month!

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

mine broke (rrod) sent it in, got the replacement back and it broke that night,sent that one out and got another replacement back which the fans in it make noise. They fuggin suck at fixing them, same issues with a friend of mine. Lucky for me i fix these things as well and already had a broken one i got off of ebay that i fixed which i was using untill i got mine back.

RROD issues are due to the excessive heat generated by the gpu/cpu along with the fact that manufactures are trying to "go green" and use lead free solder. Problem with lead free solder is that the solder joints tend to crack and loose connection espically if the joints are heat cycled, couple that with a gpu/cpu that runs excessively hot and you will have issues.

92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

i've sent in two for RROD.. quick return. Both replaced. No problems or questions asked. Im satisfied. Now if they could only fix the problem...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by LS1WS6 View Post
    mine broke (rrod) sent it in, got the replacement back and it broke that night,sent that one out and got another replacement back which the fans in it make noise. They fuggin suck at fixing them, same issues with a friend of mine. Lucky for me i fix these things as well and already had a broken one i got off of ebay that i fixed which i was using untill i got mine back.

RROD issues are due to the excessive heat generated by the gpu/cpu along with the fact that manufactures are trying to "go green" and use lead free solder. Problem with lead free solder is that the solder joints tend to crack and loose connection espically if the joints are heat cycled, couple that with a gpu/cpu that runs excessively hot and you will have issues.
    Actually the problem isn't with that, (I find lead free solder works better) its that they simple weren't soldered well and the CPU and GPU clamp design is inferior. Thats why they have the RROD fix. You can easily fix it yourself with very little PCB knowledge. Just install the kit (simply a few screws, washers and nuts), overheat it and get the solder to flow, allowing the CPU and GPU to seat again. Should be ok after doing that. The newer models don't have the problem. I have a Halo 3 Edition with the better CPU and GPU heatsinks and they work flawlessly. Same with the Elites. If it has a HDMI port, it won't red ring.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Mine was 8 days over the 3 year mark. I just took it to a shop that did it for 50 bucks right there while I waited.

92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    If it has a HDMI port, it won't red ring.
    FALSE.. my 2nd box had the HDMI port.. red ring less then 6mo..

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

That sucks, my RROD with 1 month on the warrenty left and its starting out one year to the month later. They wanted $145 too repair it since its out of warrenty so I'm just mailing away for the rebuilt kit $45 and do it myself. Might even add a few mods while I'm at it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by whoa guy View Post
    FALSE.. my 2nd box had the HDMI port.. red ring less then 6mo..
    That was a generalization mostly. SOME Elites will, but not many. The Halo 3 ones won't, or shouldn't, since they have the better Falcon motherboard and upgraded heatsinks, as well as the HDMI. A FEW Elites were made before the Falcon mobo came out and they will, but thats rare.

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Actually the problem isn't with that, (I find lead free solder works better) its that they simple weren't soldered well and the CPU and GPU clamp design is inferior. Thats why they have the RROD fix. You can easily fix it yourself with very little PCB knowledge. Just install the kit (simply a few screws, washers and nuts), overheat it and get the solder to flow, allowing the CPU and GPU to seat again. Should be ok after doing that. The newer models don't have the problem. I have a Halo 3 Edition with the better CPU and GPU heatsinks and they work flawlessly. Same with the Elites. If it has a HDMI port, it won't red ring.
    Well your totally wrong on that one. Lead free solder blows big time. As far as the x-clamps the issue with that is that it puts uneven pressure on the cpu die. When the cpu heat cycles the clamp pressure worps the board slightly which in turn makes it easier for the solder joints to crack. ALL XBOX 360'S HAVE RROD ISSUES and they all have the same gpu/cpu. The elite and hdmi boards have better heat sinks but they still take a dump. They are working on a new board and a cooler running 65nm cpu which may cure the overheating issues and some of the halo version xbox(maybe yours) and some of the elites are getting the new chips/boards like you said
    Last edited by LS1WS6; 11-03-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information