Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Formula

Red Light Camera's

I just got nailed by one. $85 ticket.

Whats your guys thought on them?

red
    95 Z28

Most intersections where they keep statistics on wrecks and red lights that have been run show that the cameras do nothing to really reduce either from happening. They do generate a tidy amount of revenue though for the cities that employ them, and the companies that install them.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Most intersections where they keep statistics on wrecks and red lights that have been run show that the cameras do nothing to really reduce either from happening. They do generate a tidy amount of revenue though for the cities that employ them, and the companies that install them.
    I thought those things worked well to stop the red light runners. I swore I saw a before/after, and the after showed a great reduction in red light runners. Could be wrong, tho. They ARE a great $$$ maker!

As far as what are my thoughts? I like 'em. I've had a car smashed before from some dumbass going thru the red light. A fun driving, 1965 convertible Bonneville.

Now speed cameras? Those should be outlawed. I know they are in a lot of places in Europe.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I believe in red light cameras...don't run red lights, it's dangerous...you never know when someone is going to jump the green.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Now speed cameras? Those should be outlawed. I know they are in a lot of places in Europe.
    I hate them because they give you a ticket for going 5 over. Also, my brothers got nailed two separate times by the same camera. It is place right next to the 25mph sign that is a reduction from the 45mph before the sign. Both of my brothers' cars had their brake lights on in the picture.

Awaiting Activation

Red light running might have decreased, but rear end collisions increased.

If they are anything like Texas I wouldn't pay it. It's not a criminal offense. The company sets up the camera and then monitors it. In exchange for generating revenue off of the taxpayers the company pays a percentage to the municipality in which the camera resides. When they send you notice that you owe and a warrant could be issued it is a lie. I have two now that I haven't paid, legally they cannot arrest you for it, nor can they report it to the credit bureaus. They are S.O.L. if you don't pay it as they have no recourse to collect the payment.

CLiff Notes: Fuck a redlight camera and the asshole companies that install them. Don't pay it.

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post

If they are anything like Texas I wouldn't pay it. It's not a criminal offense. The company sets up the camera and then monitors it. In exchange for generating revenue off of the taxpayers the company pays a percentage to the municipality in which the camera resides. When they send you notice that you owe and a warrant could be issued it is a lie. I have two now that I haven't paid, legally they cannot arrest you for it, nor can they report it to the credit bureaus. They are S.O.L. if you don't pay it as they have no recourse to collect the payment.

CLiff Notes: Fuck a redlight camera and the asshole companies that install them. Don't pay it.
    yes and no.

They cant go after you because they have no proof that you were driving. They can however, suspend your registration on your car making it illegal to drive.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Got a picture of my car & a ticket for $100 in the mail.
    Sent them a picture of $100.
    Last week they sent me a picture of handcuffs.....Figure I should pay the ticket before things get ugly.

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

Quote Originally Posted by FSANE View Post
    yes and no.

They cant go after you because they have no proof that you were driving. They can however, suspend your registration on your car making it illegal to drive.
    Not in Texas they can not. well the ones around Harris county anyways. city of houston and a couple of other cities in the area all went to the state and counties and said if someone dose not pay we want you to hold their registration the state and counties said fine you going to split the fee with us the cities said no so the state and counties said GTFO

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by FSANE View Post
    yes and no.

Not in Texas. They got rid of them here. Unenforceable. Courts already ruled. Those cameras lasted about 6 months around here.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

They were shut down here since the money generated did not go were it was supposed to. The companies told Greensboro they would give so much to the schools and it never happened so Greensboro said gtfo. Raleigh still has them I know since my brother got one a few months ago.

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post

This, they even lied and said you could'nt get your registration, its bullshit.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by ls1wallen View Post
    I just got nailed by one. $85 ticket.

Whats your guys thought on them?
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQXJXwUVJjs[/ame]

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Got a picture of my car & a ticket for $100 in the mail.
    Sent them a picture of $100.
    Last week they sent me a picture of handcuffs.....Figure I should pay the ticket before things get ugly.
    Awesome

Should send a pic of a law firm back to them.

"Asking show proof of driver"

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Awesome

Should send a pic of a law firm back to them.

"Asking show proof of driver"

You actually believe that?

Some dude in England did that years ago.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Buddy tried the show proof of driver idea. They told him either he pays or turn in the person who was driving since it was his vehicle and he was responsible for it.

Hell in Germany they can take a picture of you speeding, following too close etc and mail you a ticket. I got a few of those when I lived there. Even got my license suspended for blowing by a cop on the autobahn where there was a speed limit. All on video, I guess 155 mph in a 62 mph zone (250kmh in a 100kmh) is frowned upon. The funny thing was I got to choose when I turned in my license and did it while I was on vacation so I didn't actually need my license. The cop recommended that while he made me watch the video.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
    Hell in Germany they can take a picture of you speeding, following too close etc and mail you a ticket. I got a few of those when I lived there. Even got my license suspended for blowing by a cop on the autobahn where there was a speed limit. All on video, I guess 155 mph in a 62 mph zone (250kmh in a 100kmh) is frowned upon. The funny thing was I got to choose when I turned in my license and did it while I was on vacation so I didn't actually need my license. The cop recommended that while he made me watch the video.
    Tell me you got a copy of said video.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Tell me you got a copy of said video.
    Sadly no, its used as evidence and they don't give copies. The bastards, I asked for one though.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

My cousin loved it when he was stationed in Germany. He loved to scare the shit out of his inlaws by doing a 120 in his pathfinder.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Red light cameras are not doing so hot in the Los Angeles/So Cal area, either. I hear they are just going to get rid of them (or else just give up on maintaining them).

In reality, a police officer must witness an offense in order for it to be enforceable. If a "private citizen" produces evidence, then an investigation can be opened, but prosecution cannot begin until the government conducts an investigation.

As far as being responsible for your car when someone else is driving it, that's total BS, as well. The driver of a car is the one responsible for it. If you lend your car to someone and they drive drunk, you're not going to jail or getting your license suspended. The driver is.

It's generally very easy for a lawyer or anyone with LE experience to defeat red light cameras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information