Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

recognized at the gas pump today

this weekend is the local car cruise and car show put on by Corvettes of the North car club...36th annual event. saturday night there's a car cruise starting from the parking lot of the local high school. it runs for about 10 miles give or take around a lake and along the river before coming back to the Lions Club for food and a sockhop with live music. $10 entry fee for the cruise and you get free parking at the Lions Club. last year there were over 700 cars from the midwest that attended the cruise and it's being billed as the largest event of its kind in the state. sunday is the car show again at the Lions Club. key rule of car show weekend...it always rains.

last year was the first year that i entered the camaro in the cruise and i had a good time. last nite was the 2nd time i entered. i checked the radar and it looked like rain around 6:30pm or so...no big deal just some light rain whatever. get to the high school at about 4:30 or so and walk around saying hey to some of the people that i recognize...check out a lot of great cars. at least 4 5th gen camaros (one of which is owned by a guy that i know), some old fire engines, a g-body regal t-type, too many corvettes to count or care about, a few bandit trans ams, some nice bel airs, a '21 studabaker, a half dozen or more 4th gen f-bodies as well as an eqaul number of 1st gen f-bodies, a couple mid 70s gto's, 2 newer orange gto's...you get the idea.

the cruise starts at 6pm and i don't get to start my car and roll out until about 6:15 or so...i was about halfway across the parking lot...t-tops off of course...it's a cruise afterall. i'm behind a slow ass karmengia and in front of some ugly ass 70s or 80s porsche convertible...with no roof or engine cover at all.

so we make it out around the lake no problem...across the highway no problem...coming down along the river the clouds are looking nasty but it looks like we're going to go between the two cells that i can see downpouring. nope. had to stop behind a 3rd gen f-body to put on my t-tops just as the rain started to downpour. guess what the other f-body was doing pulled over under the tree...haha...t-tops.

so today i'm going and filling up the camaro and putting the sta-bil in it to put it in the garage (i took it out of storage this year only for the car cruise) and this guy at the pump next to me starts chatting. asks me if i was in the cruise last nite...well of course. told him about having the t-tops off and getting stopped in biron to put them back on and he chuckles a moment and says "so that was you!" oh yes...it was i. nice guy. his friend got an '02 slp camaro thinking they were going to be the last year of the camaro. now he's talking about getting a 5th gen as well. and his other friend and his newly restored '69 camaro. he even knows the guy who repaired and painted my camaro after the hail storm hit back in '07. random chance encounter...nice guy.
    Last edited by 1MileCrash; 08-07-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    1999 Z/28

M6 w/ Hurst shifter and SLP skip shift eliminator, drilled rotors, Y3F package, SLP lid w/ K&N filter, VFN fiberglass 2" cowl hood, TSP 1 3/4" headers & ORY

Thread Information