The real scoop on Vista, anyone?

So Vista's been out for a good while now... has anyone confirmed/debunked the rumors that it reports the contents of your hard drive for illegal software, movies and mp3's? Or if not report, deletes them or makes them unusable?

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    So Vista's been out for a good while now... has anyone confirmed/debunked the rumors that it reports the contents of your hard drive for illegal software, movies and mp3's? Or if not report, deletes them or makes them unusable?
    No, it doesn't do that, but it does have some low level DRM, so if in the future you were to purchase a blu-ray or HD-DVD player and tried to watch on a monitor that's not "approved," it won't let you.

Did a google on DRM and came across that Vista downgrades video playback on nonsupported monitors, but I dont use it to watch movies or anything, but will downloaded software and mp3s be modified or recorded in any way by vista?
    Last edited by grandkodiak; 03-25-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I dont use it to watch movies or anything, but will downloaded software and mp3s be modified or recorded in any way by vista?
    You're probably best sticking with XP if you're worried about that sort of thing, they're just going to keep making it harder and harder to run pirated software.

The only reason ive been looking into it is because i have 4gb of ram sitting in my machine, and xp can only use 2gb of it... i do a ton of gaming and multitasking, i figured doubling the useable ram would be a great benefit, but i dont want it if it cuts my other uses.

pie
    free

The last I read, video drivers for Vista are pretty much crap right now and people are seeing huge performance hits by switching to it.

The only time I'll upgrade is when decent DX10 games are out since Microsoft wants to be a cunt and not release it for XP.

Did a google on DRM and came across that Vista downgrades video playback on nonsupported monitors, but I dont use it to watch movies or anything, but will downloaded software and mp3s be modified or recorded in any way by vista?
    I think that MS won't touch anything that you already have...
    But I wouldn't be surprised if there's restrictions on new stuff.

Some cable company DVR's won't let you record HBO or other "premium" content, and I wouldn't be surprised if Vista has similar features...
    You know, you buy a new CD and Vista won't rip it...

I think that right now... this is all potential/theoretical... but it's in Vista if MS ever wants to flip the on switch.

Like has already been said... if you're REALLY worried about it, then don't upgrade... but I'm 99% sure that any existing MP3 library or whatever will be fine... I'd just be worried about future stuff (like an MS itunes-type store or digital internet radio and the such)

Like are you talking using built in feature like in Windows Explorer or are you saying it will actually block installed software from doing it like Nero or Alcohol? If so, thats disgusting.

Like are you talking using built in feature like in Windows Explorer or are you saying it will actually block installed software from doing it like Nero or Alcohol? If so, thats disgusting.
    No it's real low level-like, not just explorer.

I don't think it'd do anything right now... but if in the future you bought an HD DVD burner or something, it wouldn't let Nero copy a HD DVD.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Well I can tell you first hand that DAEMON Manager (drive emulator) works 100% fine on Vista. All my games work fine; most drivers work. The first time I plug in a mouse, as soon as I look up it tells me "Installation complete". I did however attempt to use a Verizon WiFi card and as soon as I plugged it in Vista popped up a message alerting me that there is known compatibility issues with that component and checked for a solution but none were available.

I did get 1 bluescreen error during the 1st day, but nothing else so far. I have an HP dv9000 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 512MB NVIDIA gfx, 100GB ROM @ 7200 RPM.

So far so good. I just like having the most up-to-date component even though the laptop would be faster on XP. I wouldn't bother though unless you're looking into a new computer. There's nothing forcing you to get Vista...and who knows it could flop as bad as Millenium Edition.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Oh yea and I kinda dislike the fact that you can't free up memory by deleting/uninstalling factory Windows crap like the accessability tools.

Black
    2004 Z06

You can easily format your HD in about 5 seconds when installing Vista thus no old versions OF ANYTHING are left on your HD.

The main safety feature is the User Accounts Control which wants permission to do anything concerning Third Party. It gets annoying to have to agree or allow several times.

But UAC can be easily disabled.
    In fact anything in Vista can be easily disabled if it annoys you.

IE7 acts like your big bro and will notify you of anything suspicious on the web before accessing it.

When using Windows Live One Care as a virus program, it eliminates the need for Windows Defender which is a most annoying program.

The fact that Vista is bundled with Media Center means you never have to have wierdazz third party software.
    If you have never used Media Center .. man you are archaic.

I will never go back to that ancient realm of XP.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Which version of Vista shoild be the one we look to upgrade with Eddie?

Are you currently running the Ultimate?

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    Which version of Vista shoild be the one we look to upgrade with Eddie?

Are you currently running the Ultimate?
    Yes I'm running Ultimate. I have both 32 & 64 bit DVD's

If Ultimate is a bit pricey I recommend Home Premium.

Run the Vista Upgrade Advisor first to get a feel on how your system will interact with Vista and to take a look at various Vista OS comparisons.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

Red
    02 T/A WS6 M6

Just bought a new laptop that came with Vista home premium but i havent had a chance to really mess with it yet.

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by lakmflx View Post
    Just bought a new laptop that came with Vista home premium but i havent had a chance to really mess with it yet.
    Vista is damn fun to mess around with ... everything is so easy and lots of goodies ... upgrades and updates for your fav programs are easily recognized by IE7 which trys to help you out as best it can ..

Media Player 11 has to be adjusted a little to get it to work with your content as well as your internet connection.

Thread Information