Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Is rap really considered music?

I had someone try and argue with me tha rap is music? To me its just noise. What do you think?

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

I would say that it depends entirely on what you consider music.

From wikipedia

Music is an art, entertainment, or other human activity that involves organized and audible sounds and silence. It is expressed in terms of pitch, rhythm, harmony, and timbre. Music involves complex generative forms in time through the construction of patterns and combinations of natural stimuli, principally sound.
    Based on that definition, I'd have to say that it is music whether or not it is your or my preference.
    Last edited by gwballin; 09-14-2006 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

yes, just like ebonics is recognized as a spoken language

Red
    02 T/A WS6 M6

anything can be considered music as long as there is a tune/beat and a bunch of mumbled up words being said really fast.

THOMAS81Z
    no !!!!!!

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I just don't see how beating on pots and pans making rhymes is music?

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

hmm let me think.NO...but maybe.NO...well if youu take in the ...No .........No ....

Black
    99 Z28

well, "music" maybe. Talent... no, I sure don't think so.

Awaiting Activation
    Technically it is music, but i don't think that they have any talent. Real musicians can sing pitches and play instruments. No rappers have instruments just sound machines.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

HMMM I think you can just steal some of a old song and just loop it .... I think I have heard of that happening once .....lol..

No The only talent that comes from rap is how they can get away with rape,murder,drug dealing and still have money and a career.

Rap shows kids that learning to play a musical instrument, and working hard while sating out of prison......oh wait i mean rap shows kids its okay to deal drugs aslong as you spend it on 22's and that murder is not a big deal aslong as the motherfucker looks at you wrong its totally acceptable. Hell the more prisone time, and violent rep you have attached to your name the better.

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    Technically it is music, but i don't think that they have any talent. Real musicians can sing pitches and play instruments. No rappers have instruments just sound machines.
    Your right, thats why rappers can come out with 3 cd's a year.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrus View Post
    No The only talent that comes from rap is how they can get away with rape,murder,drug dealing and still have money and a career.

Rap shows kids that learning to play a musical instrument, and working hard while sating out of prison......oh wait i mean rap shows kids its okay to deal drugs aslong as you spend it on 22's and that murder is not a big deal aslong as the motherfucker looks at you wrong its totally acceptable. Hell the more prisone time, and violent rep you have attached to your name the better.
    Oh I get it ....Holiday music .....lol...

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Rap music is corrupting our youth. There are alot of young kids causing alot of the crimes today. I believe it also paints a bad picture of how to treat the ladies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by StangKiller615 View Post
    Rap music is corrupting our youth. There are alot of young kids causing alot of the crimes today. I believe it also paints a bad picture of how to treat the ladies as well.
    Music alone cannot do it. The problem is the lazy are teahing our children showing them you can get alot if you half ass or wait for a hand out.

(this is not a racist post so stuff it PC people this is a opinion)

I feel from seeing alot of the black community they view education as to much for thier children, or "the white way" Instead they tell thier children to become pro athletes, or rappers, or anything big that can get them the rich lifesyle thier parents do not have.

Some other races are guilty of this also but i do not see nearly as many doing that.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

I have a minor in music performance and have been a musician since I was in jr. high school. That beings said, I like rap. Having actually studied what I was listening too I think it takes a little more talent than you give them credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
    I have a minor in music performance and have been a musician since I was in jr. high school. That beings said, I like rap. Having actually studied what I was listening too I think it takes a little more talent than you give them credit for.
    When i worked for the state prison almost every inmate i had to sit with that was under 30 could rap. Now how many people do you know that can play guitar well? How many do you know that can play any instrument well? or sing well?

I give credit if a rapper can sing but spitting lyris out sounding like a three year old that is hyper is junk.

wow...seriously-'is rap music?' WTF!!

rap music probably moves the most units in the music industry...yes, there is a lot of crap out there but there are a lot of groups that are good and play live instruments...

do you see them, no..why because they are not all about-bling bling and being studio gangstas..

to bad the media only portrays and promotes certain types of rap music...

waiting for Bigrus' rebuttal....

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

When i worked for the state prison almost every inmate i had to sit with that was under 30 could rap. Now how many people do you know that can play guitar well? How many do you know that can play any instrument well? or sing well?

I give credit if a rapper can sing but spitting lyris out sounding like a three year old that is hyper is junk.
    Playing guitar is tough, We had a class in school called Music careers and it was a guitar class. I took it and it did'ent come easy to me like it has for others. There is alot to it.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i really think that rap and r&b is so much better when performed by female vocalists.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information