red
    00 camaro ss

radar detector scrambler?

What is the best out there for radar and laser scramblers? Please specify any true life stories. I am looking to buy one, and I want to do a little "real person" research.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

We tested them at work, and found that most were useless. First, RADAR scramblers are illegal, and anything being sold as one is pure bunk. The FCC has control over radar usage and scrambling within the US, and the FCC does not permit the sale of scrambling devices to any non-military/defense/Federal Law Enforcement personnel. You will never find a radar scrambler for sale with an FCC number that is legally transferrable to a civilian; anything out there is either illegally produced or stolen, and simply possessing it is a federal crime, carrying pretty heavy jail time and fines.

As for laser scramblers, they DO exist, since lasers fall under the jurisdiction of the FDA (because of their medical uses), and they FDA does not really monitor the tactical-type uses of lasers. However, understand that lsaer scramblers, while out there, are pretty much useless. At 2000 feet (closing in on 1/2 mile), a laser speed detector's laser has only spread to a few inches wide, and the device that jams it must be DIRECTLY in line with the laser device. Some of those we tested worked at close distances (1000 feet and in) with proper aiming at the device, and others didn't work at all. Also be aware that most laser speed devices will give an error message to the operator if the laser is being tricked with false return readings. I've had this happen a couple of times when I was running laser, so i simply moved the laser to another section of the car, got my reading, and conducted the traffic stop.

The bottom line is, most of the stuff out there is snake oil: ALL radar jammers are federal contraband, and laser jammers require such precise circumstances (than are overcome with a flick of the operator's wrist to get a new reading) that they are pretty darn useless. Add that to the fact that some states have their own laws about laser and radar detectors and jamming equipment, and it just amounts to a waste of money.

If you do decide to buy one, do all the research that you can, but I think you'll find that they are just not worth your hard-earned money. A good detector (they do much better at detecting radar than laser) will give you far beter results than any "jammer" ever could.

-Chris

NBM
    '00 Z28

I've heard a lot of good things about the Valentine 1.

Bel has good proven products as well.

damn good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc60
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Valentine 1.
    Mine has saved me on countless occassions and paid for itself within a month of purchasing it....It's very sensitive to both radar and laser. Not a jammer, but it's the next best thing for many reasons (radar locator, bogey counter, multiple signal tracking, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by BLK02TransAm
    At 2000 feet (closing in on 1/2 mile), a laser speed detector's laser has only spread to a few inches wide, and the device that jams it must be DIRECTLY in line with the laser device.
    From what I've read, the max distance most laser guns work is around 2000 feet under ideal conditions (clear day, very reflective front end, etc.) . Anything farther and it's too far to see the reflection. For this reason, I've beaten (knock on wood) every laser encounter I've ever had in my Camaro because the detector picks up the laser prior to to the gun being able to get a reflection. A buddy with a Firebird has also come to the same conclusion. He did get caught once on laser, but he was at an extremely close range to the gun, around 300-400 feet before he was warned.

I'm actually looking to build my own laser jammer at some point. It's really not a very advanced technology (for anyone that's into electronics). The jammer recognizes the frequency of the signal and broadcasts back an IR signal on the same frequency that's off-phase effectively "cancelling out" the transmission much as "black noise" helps eliminate loud rotor noise on helicopters.

as long as you dont have a front plate on your firebird/camaro (1998+) it's pretty hard to get caught by laser if you have a detector.

They focus on the headlights (on the camaro) and since the headlights are odd shaped it's real hard to get a lock, even harder on a firebird with no reflective surfaces during the day

04 srt4 and 99 firebird

You can modify radar detectors to send a false "jamming" signal. Who cares if it is illegal, because speeding is and you're doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by goldfingerfif
    You can modify radar detectors to send a false "jamming" signal.
    How does one make such a modification?

You can modify radar detectors to send a false "jamming" signal. Who cares if it is illegal, because speeding is and you're doing that.
    Speeding is illegal but it's only a misdemeanor. Jamming a radar signal is classified as Obstruction of Justice, a far more serious crime...

04 srt4 and 99 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by my5thNewUsernameHere
    How does one make such a modification?

Speeding is illegal but it's only a misdemeanor. Jamming a radar signal is classified as Obstruction of Justice, a far more serious crime...
    You will need 2 radar detectors the 1 you mod and the other to tune. You mod the one radar detector and then use a regular one in another car. You sit in your car on the street and point it to another car with your friend in it down the block. You tune yours to set off the other one placed in another car down the block and you turn the potentiometer to get it right until his radar detector is going wild. That is how I did it, errr, seen it done in videos on the internet. You will have to google it. As far as the level of crime just have a real radar detector too with you in case. I personally don't care if it was a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by J3ff
    as long as you dont have a front plate on your firebird/camaro (1998+) it's pretty hard to get caught by laser if you have a detector.
    In Wisconsin the front plate is mandatory and enforced often

04 srt4 and 99 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by J3ff

They focus on the headlights (on the camaro) and since the headlights are odd shaped it's real hard to get a lock, even harder on a firebird with no reflective surfaces during the day
    What does a front plate have to do with laser or radar detectors? It reflects off the car not the plate to determine speed.

Here's how to turn a radar detector into a jammer: http://home.houston.rr.com/crxtreme/...adarjammer.htm

If you don't want to dick around and you want some serious hardware, buy this: http://www.jammersstore.com/p_scorpion_ka.htm This is the only REAL DEAL on the market but it comes with a price. And it truly does work, how I know is another question

What does a front plate have to do with laser or radar detectors? It reflects off the car not the plate to determine speed.
    Yes and no...Most states (if not all) now use a special surface that makes them extremely reflective to both visible and invisible light. Bottom line: With one of these on an F-body the lasers will be able to get a good enough laser reflection to determine speed from a much longer distance since the car's front end is not very reflective due the fact it's very sloped and raked. All bets are off if you drive a white tractor trailer with a shiny chrome grille.

You will need 2 radar detectors the 1 you mod and the other to tune. You mod the one radar detector and then use a regular one in another car. You sit in your car on the street and point it to another car with your friend in it down the block. You tune yours to set off the other one placed in another car down the block and you turn the potentiometer to get it right until his radar detector is going wild. That is how I did it, errr, seen it done in videos on the internet. You will have to google it. As far as the level of crime just have a real radar detector too with you in case. I personally don't care if it was a felony.
    hmmm...That's interesting...It's a known fact about electrical oscillators that "you must transmit on a given frequency in order to also receive it", which is why most cheap detectors will set off other ones that are in proximity. However, I'm not convinced (in my own mind at the moment) that simply tuning a radar detector to the same frequency would have sufficient broadcast power to overcome that of a radar gun with a well-tuned antenna. I need to read more on this...Cool stuff!

04 srt4 and 99 firebird

Yes and no...Most states (if not all) now use a special surface that makes them extremely reflective to both visible and invisible light. Bottom line: With one of these on an F-body the lasers will be able to get a good enough laser reflection to determine speed from a much longer distance since the car's front end is not very reflective due the fact it's very sloped and raked. All bets are off if you drive a white tractor trailer with a shiny chrome grille.
    Radar and laser are invisible (to humans) frequencies of light. We know the properties of light and how it must reflect off of objects into your eye to see them. Now imagine a camera flash in pitch black darkness, you can see everything for a split second right? Same thing with radar, it doesn't matter if it is reflective or not, I can run at a radar gun and it will give me the speed. It really doesn't matter how sloped or anything it is because then what you are saying is if we were in a pitch black room and flashed a camera at a car we would not be able to see it like the radar would not get the light reflection back in the sensor. I guess shiny/reflective surfaces help but they do not make a difference, it is going to get you. If it is distance you're refering too well, to be honest I don't have any information proving one way or another and I know I can apply all the rules of physics to a radar that apply to light.

04 srt4 and 99 firebird

hmmm...That's interesting...It's a known fact about electrical oscillators that "you must transmit on a given frequency in order to also receive it", which is why most cheap detectors will set off other ones that are in proximity. However, I'm not convinced (in my own mind at the moment) that simply tuning a radar detector to the same frequency would have sufficient broadcast power to overcome that of a radar gun with a well-tuned antenna. I need to read more on this...Cool stuff!

Here

Quote Originally Posted by hirdlej
    Here's how to turn a radar detector into a jammer: http://home.houston.rr.com/crxtreme/...adarjammer.htm

If you don't want to dick around and you want some serious hardware, buy this: http://www.jammersstore.com/p_scorpion_ka.htm This is the only REAL DEAL on the market but it comes with a price. And it truly does work, how I know is another question

I, err a video I saw showed them drive to one of those radar guns telling you your speed setup on the street. It made it not display the speed until very close.

Thread Information