Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

Radar detector or Radar jammer

So, the popular belief i've heard is that these things don't really work, and even if they do work then those are the illegal ones to have. I've heard one company that claims if you get a ticket send it to them and they will actually pay it! Thats the claim for their product, think i saw it on a late nite 1-800 number shows. Anybody got feedback on this?

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

I have been a police officer for 15 years. Truthfully, I laugh at anyone that uses those things. We haven't used rader since the early 1990's. Everything is laser now. If you get a laser detector and you hear it go off, just pull over and wait for your ticket because we got you already.

Now since I drive a T/A Formula and you are in the T/A website, I will give you some insight. There is a paint, which is used on the steath bomber. This paint you can buy on the open market, but never needed it due to the fringe benefits....heheh....anyways, its availible in flat black, but never cared to found out where. This paint will absorbe the laser and or radar signals. The only thing is if they get a shot at your license plate or lights, you are caught anyways...and that is where we aim.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    I have been a police officer for 15 years. Truthfully, I laugh at anyone that uses those things. We haven't used rader since the early 1990's. Everything is laser now. If you get a laser detector and you hear it go off, just pull over and wait for your ticket because we got you already.

Now since I drive a T/A Formula and you are in the T/A website, I will give you some insight. There is a paint, which is used on the steath bomber. This paint you can buy on the open market, but never needed it due to the fringe benefits....heheh....anyways, its availible in flat black, but never cared to found out where. This paint will absorbe the laser and or radar signals. The only thing is if they get a shot at your license plate or lights, you are caught anyways...and that is where we aim.

where ARE or WERE u a police officer? says your in guam now??? must be a big city with cops that ARNT lazy......have to squeeze that triggger every time to shoot laser.........in the 4 yrs or so ive had my radar dector its gone off for laser a TOTAL of 5 times or less........they use K or KA band 99 percent of the time because they dont have to point and shooot........just lean back and nap.........luckily i wasnt speeding 4 of those times and the one that i was i was doing 85 in a 55 in the left lane....traffic in the right 3 lanes......L goes off...nobody behind me so i hit the brakes quite firm and slowed enough to avoid a speeding ticket .......lucky i know but laser on the detector CAN be effective some of the time

Black
    94 hawk a4 02 hawk vertm6

Speeding on a empty road with a radar detector will get ya popped! you need to keep a car or two in front of ya so they get the radar first. IMO.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by slphwk1 View Post
    Speeding on a empty road with a radar detector will get ya popped! you need to keep a car or two in front of ya so they get the radar first. IMO.
    with laser or auto on YES this is true...the other 90 PLUS percent of the time this is not true.....if u speed u will get nailed every so often..have to be smart about it

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Coupe M6

radar detector only works properly if there is traffic in front of you. It picks up the signal bouncing off the other cars. How ever some radars can get 2cars at one time so the more cars in front the better.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by PureSShp00 View Post
    radar detector only works properly if there is traffic in front of you. It picks up the signal bouncing off the other cars. How ever some radars can get 2cars at one time so the more cars in front the better.
    laser works that way.....NOT radar..your incorrect.....i can be all alone not a car for miles and have a cop ahead of me shooting k or ka band and ill know way beforei get to him..........UNLESS he has auto-on...its a motion sensor.....i got snagged that way like 5 yrs ago......92 in a 55 but he only wrote me an 1110A failure to obey a traffic control device....lucky night

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Coupe M6

No I think I know what I'm talking about I was military police for 5 years and took several radar certifaction classes.

pewter

oh yeah your right......my radar detector must be majical then..lol......could it be that its bouncing off the road? signs? buildings? etc etc etc ..........i pick up police ka and k radar w/o a car in site....therefore your past statement is WRONG

Bright Red
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post

I have a lasor/radar detector and I can say the police around Boston do not use lasor...I only have had the lasor go off maybe 3 times in 2 years. It has saved me so much money!!! I was bagged only once with it...it doesn't help if you have the radio blasting and the cop comming toward you though. If the cops go to all lasor then we are in trouble... anyone ever use a lasor shifter...they can be expensive but do they work? I read they are legal as oppossed to Radar jammers which are not.

Bright Red
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

No I think I know what I'm talking about I was military police for 5 years and took several radar certifaction classes.
    I'm with tonyjnjz on this one!!! Radar detectors do work and give you plenty off warning... unless you go out and buy a cheap one! I get at least a mile warning on the open highway with or without other cars. More than enough time to slow down.Even if they turn on there radar it is not instint on..it takes a few secondsunless it is POP but I did read that it is not as accurate and they can not just go by that. I don't know if that is true because I always get a warning way ahead of time because I have my radar detector on!!!
    Last edited by toothmaker; 05-19-2008 at 07:14 PM.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by toothmaker View Post
    I'm with tonyjnjz on this one!!! Radar detectors do work and give you plenty off warning... unless you go out and buy a cheap one! I get at least a mile warning on the open highway with or without other cars. More than enough time to slow down.Even if they turn on there radar it is not instint on..it takes a few secondsunless it is POP but I did read that it is not as accurate and they can not just go by that. I don't know if that is true because I always get a warning way ahead of time because I have my radar detector on!!!
    instant on is NASTY dude and ive only seen it used on a lonely highway late at night and ONLY that one time..maybe he just turned it on when he saw me..who knows....i was doing 90-100ish coming down a hill on a highway 3am completely sober in my 2003 rsx-s 3 yrs ago...detecter went 1,2,3,4,5 all in about 2 seconds..lol.i was like WTF ..where is he???? look to my right and hes still in front of me sittin in a patch of grass hidden nicely....i pulled over almost directly in front of him before he even pulled out..lol..that saved my ass....w/o the detector i wouldnt of known i was even shot and prolly got the 92 in a 55 vs the 1110A 85 dollar non moving violation

Bright Red
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    instant on is NASTY dude and ive only seen it used on a lonely highway late at night and ONLY that one time..maybe he just turned it on when he saw me..who knows....i was doing 90-100ish coming down a hill on a highway 3am completely sober in my 2003 rsx-s 3 yrs ago...detecter went 1,2,3,4,5 all in about 2 seconds..lol.i was like WTF ..where is he???? look to my right and hes still in front of me sittin in a patch of grass hidden nicely....i pulled over almost directly in front of him before he even pulled out..lol..that saved my ass....w/o the detector i wouldnt of known i was even shot and prolly got the 92 in a 55 vs the 1110A 85 dollar non moving violation
    I don't know how the fines work in NY but in Massachusetts it would have been a court appearance and at the very least $300-$400 ticket not to mention a surcharge of at least $100 a year for 5-6 years. I could never add up the savings from all the speed traps...even driving around town...the cops drive with there radar on all the time... it goes off all the time long before I see them or they more importantly they see me. I'll be driving with my son and I'll say there is a cop around and he'll say where? Sure enough just a short time later a cop will come around the corner. My $500 investment was paid off the first time I went through a speed trap. I don't go anywhere without it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Only speed at night.. that way you can disappear

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I have the $40 cobra one from Wal*Mart. It's very good at telling me where automatic sliding doors are located.

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I have the $40 cobra one from Wal*Mart. It's very good at telling me where automatic sliding doors are located.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    State troopers can hide from me, but I'll be damned if I can't detect a CVS/Pharmacy or a Walgreens from 5 miles away

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firebird

i'm a military cop too, and have been for the last 2 years, we have the gun that shoots at the front of your vehicle.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I didn't read all the post so sorry if I am repeating something previously posted....
    I drive a bunch in San Antonio/Dallas/Houston and all the highways and roads in between. Have a Cobra radar detector (XRS 9950)....Sum bitch picks up K and KA Bands a long way off...around corners or over hills.....99.9999% of the cops here use K or Ka Bands....now for lasers.....true if your all alone he got your ass when it goes off....but I have never been in that situation.....I pick up the Laser Alert when he lasers some poor bastard in front of me....I can get the laser alert a good 1/4 mile before I even see the cop....all he has to do is laser somebody in front of me and I got him Laser "splatters" and this Cobra picks up the splatter....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information