Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Radar Detector Location

A few days ago I bought a Radar/Laser detector, just one of the cheap ones, nothing special. I haven't driven much the past couple days so I haven't had a chance to see if it actually works or not, but I was wondering about where I put it. I hate clutter, so I definately didn't want something stuck to my windsheild with wires going across the dashboard. Do you think the location of where I've put it will make any difference to its range? I assume it will, but it never hurts asking.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

That really won't work with metal in front of it. Plus its too low. The higher the better.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Yeah I figured... Oh well, I'll figure something out. Thanks.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Mine is above the mirror.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

A friend of mine has his mounted to his visor on the passenger side.
    Built a little bracket and it just gets tightened up with the bolt that holds the visor on.
    Then he picked up a power cord that allowed him to tap into the lights power supply on the rearview mirror.
    This is on a 2002 Z06 though.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Mine wont stick to the top b/c of my stupid tint strip!!

Ideally, you want to mount it in the dead center of the windshield, maybe a bit lower if you encounter laser more often than radar. Think of how a laser beam works, man.... If it's hidden so that it's not getting hit by the beam, there's no point in using it. Same applies to radar to a lesser extent since it's an RF signal (Just as you lose radio reception under a thick concrete bridge.)

Basically, it's a lot like those signs you see on the trucks..."If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you!". The same applies to radar and laser.

I mount my V1 ($400, already paid back in dividends several times over) just to the left of my rearview mirror and such that the receiving lens is barely below the tint. This is mainly so it's mostly out of view to Johnny Law and would-be thieves.

I'd suggest hardwiring it so that you don't have the annoying cigarette lighter adapter in the way.

See:

http://www.valentine1.com/moreinfo/p...ng_pg17-18.pdf
    http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/geof..._frameset.html

(I'm obviously a V1 guy, but the same general rules apply to any other detectors as far as mounting goes.)

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I know all the cops. Don't need one. They wave at me as I blow by at 100mph +...
    But if I was a civilian I would put it up as high as I could in the windshield so it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I know all the cops. Don't need one. They wave at me as I blow by at 100mph +...
    Me too, but I travel outta town too often to rely solely on that strategy.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Thanks for the replies guys, I went out to my car to see how I could change it. Its now above and to the left of the rear view mirror, and the wire was long enough so that I was able to run in along under the headliner, down the inside of the drivers side A-pillar molding, and underneath the dash to the outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    A few days ago I bought a Radar/Laser detector, just one of the cheap ones, nothing special. I haven't driven much the past couple days so I haven't had a chance to see if it actually works or not, but I was wondering about where I put it. I hate clutter, so I definately didn't want something stuck to my windsheild with wires going across the dashboard. Do you think the location of where I've put it will make any difference to its range? I assume it will, but it never hurts asking.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

at the VERY LEAST put it so it looks out of the windshield... The instructions that came with the radar detector even tell you to place it so the sensor can look out of the windshield. Doesnt do you any good if you hide it behind the engine block, firewll, and dash. No good at all.

A friend of my had a 3rd gen like yours. You can lift up the dash and run the cable under it and power it off the cigarette lighter. It will remove the clutter and give it a good line of sight. The 3rd gen dashboard isnice a flat and gives it a good clean shot out the windshield.

BC

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Mine's above the mirror and I paid a stereo install shop $15 to hard wire it in to the fuse box so now it comes on when I start the car and no messy wires.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by anewconvert View Post
    at the VERY LEAST put it so it looks out of the windshield... The instructions that came with the radar detector even tell you to place it so the sensor can look out of the windshield. Doesnt do you any good if you hide it behind the engine block, firewll, and dash. No good at all.

A friend of my had a 3rd gen like yours. You can lift up the dash and run the cable under it and power it off the cigarette lighter. It will remove the clutter and give it a good line of sight. The 3rd gen dashboard isnice a flat and gives it a good clean shot out the windshield.

BC
    Heh, the one I bought didn't come with instructions

And yeah, thats what I did last night with the dash.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

I don't even use mine anymore for the simple fact that on the roads that speed on are highways which are usually big budgeted state patroled and around here and my neighboring states that means hand helds (instant-on) units or VASCAR ( visable speed assessment by cop) time/distance. My $400 rd did'nt stop my last ticket and it was in Pa. Where they are not allowed on windshields(he let me go for that infraction) but still got for speeding.
    04/A4 Quicksilver
    Magnflow catback-Resonator delete
    K&N drop in
    SAP front Grills and 05 hood
    Limo tinted windows-Gets me pulled over alot
    Diablosport Predator (RWTD) tune.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    That really won't work with metal in front of it. Plus its too low. The higher the better.
    right... now... go out to a hobbie store buy a kite... and then hit a electronics store for a sodder gun and long wire and some zip ties...

zip tie the detector to the kite and then tie the kite to the rear of the car, splice and sodder the wire so that you can fly the kite behind you while driveing... problem solved...

i'm a genious...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

that the best spot to put it, no obstruction, hard to see from the outside, keeps it out of the sun, and you can see the visual if the stereo or exhaust is too loud for the audio!

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    But if I was a civilian I would put it up as high as I could in the windshield so it could work.
    what are you?
    that always amuses me how it's supposedly safe for cops to drive 100mph but no one else. why can't other people drive safely that fast?

Quote Originally Posted by GOT1GOAT View Post
    I don't even use mine anymore for the simple fact that on the roads that speed on are highways which are usually big budgeted state patroled and around here and my neighboring states that means hand helds (instant-on) units or VASCAR ( visable speed assessment by cop) time/distance. My $400 rd did'nt stop my last ticket and it was in Pa. Where they are not allowed on windshields(he let me go for that infraction) but still got for speeding.
    Instant-on is usually easy to avoid as long as you're not the only car on the road.

PA sucks because they have so many false radar transmitters. I almost got snagged one time coming back from Harrisburg because I ignored the warning assuming it was another false transmitters. Fortunately, I was able to avoid getting caught using the "Find a Patsy" technique described at http://www.users.cloud9.net/~henness...how2speed.html

Thread Information