R/C guys come in...need advice

Hey guys,

What is a good starter nitro truck (not buggy) to get into R/C with. I've done electric and looking for nitro.

Price around $200 and must include radio (i.e. ready to run package). 1/10 or 1/8 scale. must be 4x4 (no 2wd).

I've seen a bunch online, but not sure which ones are better than others.

Thanks for y'alls help.

Bright Silver Metallic
    2000 Formula

im not for certain but my cousin and some of his marine corp pals used to run them. i think most of them were using traxxas products. they may be a little more pricey than you would like to spend but. just a thought none-the-less.

02 Blk T/A WS6
    imo you cant go wrong with HPI or Traxxas

my brother has a HPI 1/8 Savage 25 RTR where as i have a Traxxas Revo 4WD Monster Truck.
    they are both eletronic start so no messing with a damn pull start which is annoying.they are both 1/8 scale but his is larger in hight they are more price then what you are looking for but if i was you id go to your local hobby town and see if someone traded one.my local hobby town almost always has 3 or 4 used trucks for sale dirt cheap so that might be something you can look into.

my only advice is stay away from pull start if you can that crap is annoying

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

I have a Traxxas Revo,RTR 4x4, and it also has reverse.i bought it from www.towerhobbies.com it was about 500.00 bucks but I well assure you that it well be well worth it.I now have about 700.00 more bucks in it and it is a blast.....
    2007 Yukon XL (sold)
    2014 Z71 LTZ 3LZ (sold)
    2010 Escalade Platinum AWD , 6.2
    2017 Silverado HC , 4x4, 6.2

2000 WS6 ASC#2300 Holly LS6 intake, TR Custom grind cam, Mac Mids w/ ORY,Hotchkis LCA's, PHB, BMR Extreme STB, BMR re-location brackets,Eibach Sportlines, GMMG, Mccleod Pro 5.0, SLP SFC's, OEM ZO6 wheels
    1995 TA
    1969 R code Mach I my new project

Ok, thanks for the advice.

There's about 3 of us who are looking into getting trucks. We're pretty familiar with R/C and the cost. Two of us have had electric R/C trucks before. The other two of us fly gas R/C planes.

Taking the advice you guys said here goes along with what I've read in other places. So we've decided to save up a little more and get better trucks.

So now we are looking at monster trucks and not stadium trucks. The two names that seem to keep coming up are Traxxas Revo and Savage 25.

The Revo seems to about $450-$500
    The Savage 25 seems to be about $400-$450

The Revo is also only a 1/10 scale, correct? While the Savage is a 1/8 scale.

Bright Silver Metallic
    2000 Formula

i believe you are correct in the scales. seems on towerhobbies.com the revo is a bit cheaper than the savage. good luck in your hunt let us know what you decide to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by calb80
    i believe you are correct in the scales. seems on towerhobbies.com the revo is a bit cheaper than the savage. good luck in your hunt let us know what you decide to go with.
    Tower hobbies has the Revo for $475 and the Savage for $415.

black
    2000 ws6

If you want a no non sense nothing is gonna break then get a 1/8th scale buggy. They are 4 wheel drive and tough as hell. I have had a t-maxx and it will break easily if you want to do anything fun with it. Havnt had any experience with the revo but traxxas = plastic that will break especially in the winter. Plus when i was heavy into r/c the traxxas 2.5 engine was no good at all. Maybe theyve got better in the last 2 years. The differential cases are plastic and you will strip out ring and pinions very quickly if you do any jumping.

3.5cc engines are big blocks and much easier to tune then 2.5 cc small blocks, plus the will last longer.

I have a OFNA mbx r2 that i bought used for 100 bucks. I beat the living hell out of it jumping it 10 feet high 30 ft long. The only thing that has happened is it broke the plastic piece of the end of the shock. Less then a dollar to replace. You can buy bigger rims and tires to give a more ground clearance for the monster truck look.

Dont get me wrong i like the traxxas stuff. My tmaxx has the suppermaxx suspension a 3.5 cc conversion motor and all kinds of aluminum. Its fun, but breaks if you look at it wrong. Its the ten bolt of fbodys... because once you beef up one part something else just keeps breaking.

The revo is a flat chassis pan deisgn so you might as well go with a buggy anyways and buy bigger tires. If your looking for monster truck only go with the savage. It is 1/8th scale (which means big block motor and 1/8th scale differentials (12 bolt... hehe). it will stand up longer where traxxas is almost 1/8th scale size but uses 1/10th scale parts (weaker).

trust me, 1/8th scale is where its at. Bigger beefier bearings and everything.... Plan to replace your traxxas wheel bearings, differential bearings (at 2 bucks a pop for each bearing) after every gallon of fuel because they are all weak and undersized. Ive been there, just trying to save you money.

Bright Silver Metallic
    2000 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Big D Z
    Tower hobbies has the Revo for $475 and the Savage for $415.

i appologize for that i think i was lookin at 2 different sites when i said that. thank you for correcting me. either way best of luck

What about Associate Monster GT SE? Its a 1/8 scale and about 1" longer/wider than the Savage. It has a 4.6cc engine with steel gears and over 4" ground clearance. I can pick one of these up for around $400.

"now,you pissed us off!!" Trouble maker's Avatar
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/ Hey Big D,check this out!! These guys are awesome,and very helpful on this site!

02 Blk T/A WS6
    traxxas has come a long way and is leaps and bounds better then the tmaxx i have put a hurting on my revo and have yet to break 1 thing on it the revo also uses a totally new Shock set up. it has killer Suspension travel as i can put 1 wheel on a curb deal like you find at some parking spaces and still have all 3 of the other wheels on the ground. but thats my opinion good luck in what you choose to go with.

here is a link to the revo site and it has some videos on it check it out

Revo

black
    2000 ws6

yea i have no experience with the revo. Thats cool if they finally beefed it up. The t-maxx was a money pit

Thread Information