Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Question on shooting

I really want to learn how to shoot ambidextrious,cna any of you do that? What did you do as far as tecniques to learn. Obviously i need to practice doing it.

It would be a benifit it the hunting area of my life.if i am out hunting and find a nice spot to set a ambush point then a deer bear or whatever comes up my left side. I would want to be able to just switch the firearm to the opposite hand rather than twisting my body to be able to make the shot.I shoot left handed but do everything else right handed,I guess I am only in my right mind when I am shooting....har de har har

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Practice practice practice. Hardest thing for me and a rifle was closing my right eye
    Pistol was much easier to learn with the other hand.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Switching hands on a shotgun means a empty slug cartridge in the face.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Keep in mind that you have a dominate eye also and it's probably your right eye if you're right handed. I keep both eyes open when shooting.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

On the slug casing in the face, not nessesarily. several companies have bottom ejection,some have break action shotguns that you have to reload manuelly.I am getting a pump action rem 870 so it will be possible but highly unlikely.I have complete control on when and how i rack another shell.

On the dominant eye. yup my left eye is dominant thats why i shoot left handed.I am trying to figure out the best way to make it where they are equal or at least only a very slight difference.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    On the slug casing in the face, not nessesarily. several companies have bottom ejection,some have break action shotguns that you have to reload manuelly.I am getting a pump action rem 870 so it will be possible but highly unlikely.I have complete control on when and how i rack another shell.

On the dominant eye. yup my left eye is dominant thats why i shoot left handed.I am trying to figure out the best way to make it where they are equal or at least only a very slight difference.
    I hunt deer in upstate NY with a Browning sweet 16 12ga. and that there slings um pretty far.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Keep in mind that you have a dominate eye also and it's probably your right eye if you're right handed. I keep both eyes open when shooting.
    Doesn't everyone? Even archery season?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    Doesn't everyone? Even archery season?
    I've always shot with 2 eyes open. My grandpa taught me to shoot that way when I was a little boy. I do it with everything I shoot whether it's pistols, shotguns, rifles, or the bow. It's just automatic now.... I don't know any other way to shoot.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

You may be and probably are very proficient aiming both eyes open but it is not proper technique and the paralax view caused by it will throw off the aim for beginners. You've just learned to compensate. Even when I use a level I close one eye.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    You may be and probably are very proficient aiming both eyes open but it is not proper technique and the paralax view caused by it will throw off the aim for beginners. You've just learned to compensate. Even when I use a level I close one eye.
    I don't agree with that. That's why one eye is dominant. Your brain will use that information over the non-dominant eye. When I throw the site on something I only see the site and nothing else when I'm aiming. If you're target shooting then closing an eye is no big deal but when you're hunting having that second eye open is a definite advantage for the moments leading up to the shot and the moments directly after the shot. There's a list of reasons you should shoot with both eyes open and why they sell all kinds of training glass' to teach people to do so. People use vaseline and scotch tape on shooting glass' and all kinds of stuff to learn to shoot with both eyes open. Both eyes open gives you depth perception and peripheral vision. If you're using a scope it also helps keep you from losing the deer or whatever you're shooting and coming back off the scope to find it or moving the gun around to find it in the scope again.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

There are a lot of advantages to having both eyes open yes, but I am saying strictly from an accuracy point of view, closing one eye is better. There are plenty of scientific reasons behind it too, so it's not really debatable.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

There are a lot of advantages to having both eyes open yes, but I am saying strictly from an accuracy point of view, closing one eye is better. There are plenty of scientific reasons behind it too, so it's not really debatable.
    maybe some day we'll get to get together and shoot.....$5 a shell.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    maybe some day we'll get to get together and shoot.....$5 a shell.
    Alright, but remember, you're not just going to be able to walk into the woods and find all your money the next day, it truly will all be gone

91RS 99Z28 11GT 86Bronco

+1 On both eyes open. It is the correct way to shoot. Sure a gold medalist 22 shooter may say different, but on any moving target it is the correct way.

You loose your depth perception and periphery with just one eye open.
    Last edited by ssgtcarroll; 06-22-2009 at 04:12 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtcarroll View Post
    +1 On both eyes open. It is the correct way to shoot. Sure a gold medalist 22 shooter may say different, but on any moving target it is the correct way.

You loose your depth perception and periphery with just one eye open.
    that's what I'm saying. Can't tell you damn kids anything though. He knows it all even though I've been shooting a gun longer than he's been alive.

91RS 99Z28 11GT 86Bronco

I mean who cares if you can bulls eye a stand alone target at 50 yards when you cant hit an intruder in your house at 10 feet because hes moving.

Guns a tool. I see it as learn to use it for what its made for (hitting the bad guy) THEN learn other ways. Even when it does come to the stand alone target open both your eyes and learn to be accurate so when you need your "tool" you know how to use it the correct way.

People dont use hammers to frame a house because its slow and inefficient. They use nail guns. Sure a hammers more "accurate" but its slow as balls and your arms/hands get tired as hell.... Reminds me....think the one eye closed all day wont tire your eyes out?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup....

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Using both eyes to sight a target allowed me to shoot expert with a .45 back in the day.

.45! In the Army? Damn, now I'm officially old...

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Can't run when 9 of these are flying at ya...

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

aaaaannnnnt wrong compadre,it is actually a better technique to shoot with both eyes open, as for the level that is just a little wierd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information