Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Question: How do you start your car?

noticed a few guys do this after work tonite, and i was curious on how you start your car. are you the type that as soon as the vehicle starts your in gear and on your way before the engine even has a chance to generate oil pressure. or are you the type that starts it, and lets the engine warm up a bit, or even warm up to the point that the rpms drop a tad as it settles into its idle?

me im the latter, always turned the key, let the fuel pump actually completly prime, then start it, and let it warm up atleast 1-2 mins, or wait until i hear the r's drop a bit, then ill take off.

id think starting and in gear asap is hard on the engine, ive heard bad things about it, all oil pressure related, but also on the other hand i know a few people that have done this for years and havent had a bit of problems with it.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I always let it warm up a bit before I take off.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

I start mine with the key........ then let it set for a few seconds then leave.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

I always wait to a settled idle after about three or four minutes, and as well as having warm up time in the engine, it prevents a "jolt" as i put it into drive.

I am assuming i am not alone in the jolt thing as it is quite a biggun if i do it straight away??!

Trev... )

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I don't care who you are on this site but if you turn the key and take off.........you are a retard

Fire it up and let the oils circulate through out the transmission/engine. Take off after a few moments. 80%+ of wear is on start up (proven) so lets start up our car and punch it instantly

EDIT: 10 seconds is fine, a minute is overkill. After 10 sec or so, the oil should have fully circulated.
    Last edited by blackSS01; 04-27-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

if it's the first start of the day I let it warm up for a couple minutes, or atleast until the coolant temp gets to 100+. Every start after that I wait about 10-15 secs then go, that's if the engine is still warm once I start it.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Yup, Im with all of yall. I start it and wait for it to warm up before I let the RPMs go over idle. I HATE when I see theses dumbasses jump in, start it and immediately ping it off the rev limiter trying to show off.
    Last edited by BLK2KSS; 04-27-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Just start the car. Let it idle for 10-30 seconds, any more than that is overkill and wastes gas. Drive moderately for the first 5-10 minutes, to let all the oils get up to temp, then go for it. BLK2KSS, you are absolutely right about the dumbasses who rev a cold engine, that's some of the worst abuse it can take.

And yes, starting a cold engine is where 90% of the wear takes place, but the oil is circulating after 10 seconds and it's ok to drive. If it wasn't, then how do all the other engines last 200k plus? You know the people who view their car as an appliance don't give a damn about how they drive their cars, and they can geat that kind of mileage from the engine.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

start the car? I just push it so I don't put any wear on the engine.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have like a whole "pre-flight" thing going. Start it and watch all the gauges and AFR gauge and what not. It takes a few minutes before I'm ready for take off.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

I always clutched-in, started, gauge-scanned, listened, clutched-out, listened, then babied for the first few miles or until coolant reached full operating temp.

Sold the SS to a guy who promptly fried the clutch either riding the pedal or something, I dunno, and then nosed into a curb after losing control while showing off...

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Press the start button. Within 10-15 seconds I am rolling. I keep the rpms low for the first few miles. Having a light load on the engine at lower rpms is better than having it sit at high idle with no load.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If it takes your cars several "minutes" for your idle to smooth out, something is wrong.

Mine smooths out almost instantly...maybe 10 seconds.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

I treat mine like a diesel, turn the key, wait for all the dash lights to go out and beeping to stop, then crank it,

if I ABSOLUTLEY have to get going, I'll put her in gear and barely gas it, never getting over about 2k until she is warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Aetos View Post
    start the car? I just push it so I don't put any wear on the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    If it takes your cars several "minutes" for your idle to smooth out, something is wrong.

Mine smooths out almost instantly...maybe 10 seconds.
    it's not that the idle starts rough, it starts high, typically about 1k rpms, and might stay there a minute or two before the IAC valve lets it drop to 600.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i fire it up and start rolling slow out of my development just to be kind to the neighbors... my car is far to loud to sit there idleing for a half minute...

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I let it warm up a bit first and have a similar exhaust setup to you Spaz. She sets the neighbors alarm off when I start her. And she's always in the garage.
    Last edited by SiggyZ; 04-27-2011 at 06:43 AM.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i fire it up and start rolling slow out of my development just to be kind to the neighbors... my car is far to loud to sit there idleing for a half minute...
    I hear ya here. I sometimes have started mine with the garage door still closed just to be courteous if I'm starting it before 8AM. However, even when I've had someone start it in the garage with the door closed as a test, I can still hear it inside my house and I have a detached garage. Guess that makes for a good car alarm

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

First I ask her if she had a nice sleep.
    Then I gently go over the exterior with a duster.
    I fire the engine & whisper words of love while she warms to operating temps.
    Gently put it in gear & pull onto the roadway never exceeding 2,000 rpms for the first 5 miles.

Geezuz! You guys crack me up with this BS. lol lol lol

Ray Charles blue

I usually start it and open the garage door at the same time. Then I go make sure all lights are off and doors are locked. This takes probably 30 seconds and by that time the oil should pretty much be completely circulated once and the idle drops down. I always wait at least 30 seconds no matter where I am before I take off.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Just start the car. Let it idle for 10-30 seconds, any more than that is overkill and wastes gas. Drive moderately for the first 5-10 minutes, to let all the oils get up to temp, then go for it. BLK2KSS, you are absolutely right about the dumbasses who rev a cold engine, that's some of the worst abuse it can take.

And yes, starting a cold engine is where 90% of the wear takes place, but the oil is circulating after 10 seconds and it's ok to drive. If it wasn't, then how do all the other engines last 200k plus? You know the people who view their car as an appliance don't give a damn about how they drive their cars, and they can geat that kind of mileage from the engine.
    ^THIS!

After 10-15 seconds oil pressure is up and you can drive moderately til it's warmed up completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information