12 70.59%
  • Exhaust

0 0%
  • Tune

5 29.41%

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Question for all you late nighters??

My H/C is done Motor is still sitting on the engine stand due to needing a new clutch (old clutch which is stock is SUPER fried ) What should I do next. Computer tune by Frost so the car will actually idle. Clutch to be able to put the engine back in the car. Or exhaust which the car doesn't need at the moment (can start it with headers only to heat cycle the valve springs) At the moment the old dual exhaust is prolly already melted down and made into scrap crap. LS1.com hasn't failed me yet, so I will let you guys decide. I am leaning towards a Frost tune then clutch THEN obviously exhaust. Want to see how this turns out.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Tune and exhaust at the same time

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    Tune and exhaust at the same time
    Damn man..... You thinking I'm made out of money

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

How about option #4. Keep saving up

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    How about option #4. Keep saving up
    Smart answer but I just am not that smart If that was the case I would say Cobra on top of the SS to match Packy. I have been at this current moment 10 months going on 11 without my car I ran into complications and currently am going through withdrawls from not having a V-8 to punch around

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Clutch -> Exhaust -> Tune

Frost can't properly tune the car without him in it...Mail Order Tunes are for getting close to what is needed, just enough for the car to run, but you need a proper full day tuning to get the car running PROPERLY. So to get the car running, you need a clutch so you can drive it (for a tune, the tuner sits in your passenger seat and tunes the car for a few hours while you're driving). If you don't have the exhaust you want and get it tuned and change the exhaust later, you're changing the aspects of the tune and you won't be at your full potential. In your case, you have no exhaust, so there is no option, you NEED and exhaust before the tune, cause if your tuner (whether it be Frost or not), will have to tune the car for open headers (not a good idea in the first place), and when you slap an exhaust on there, you're adding restriction that is not in the tune and your car won't run properly.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

So, in other words, save up for everything then do it at once.

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

what he said, it makes since to me

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I would think most common sence thing would be to work some OT and get it all done at once so you don't have to go back and do things a second time and waste even more money fixing things that aren't working together. Don't do it the hard way, it costs more money . All or nothing. just my opinion.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Call me a n00b but, s/c = supercharged t/c = turbocharged. Wtf is an h/c.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Call me a n00b but, s/c = supercharged t/c = turbocharged. Wtf is an h/c.
    Hella Crap..........

It really means Heads and Cam And to make it a bit more clear. I am going to be getting a dyno tune soon after the car is done. I just want to get a Mail order so it will idle and be some what drivable since the closest dyno that I trust is 180 miles away.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Hella Crap..........

It really means Heads and Cam And to make it a bit more clear. I am going to be getting a dyno tune soon after the car is done. I just want to get a Mail order so it will idle and be some what drivable since the closest dyno that I trust is 180 miles away.
    if you are getting it dyno tuned, ask the shop you are having do it if they will put a base tune on your computer if you send it to them. quite a few places will charge you some then take it off the charge of the full tune when you get it done. when you send them the computer, put a list of everything done to it so they can get the tune close. it will only be able to run, not good for wide open throttle. you might want to think about that, so you save some money instead of paying for two tunes.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

As said by others save and get all 3. If you're using the stock TB opening the hole up to 7/32" It should idle ok until you can get a tune....

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Clutch is prob. most important just because thats deep to get to! Do that while the motor is out, then you can do a tune and exhaust later which would take 5min. to get a computer out or like 30min to do a exhaust. No biggy, I would do the clutch first though, then get a exhaust and finally a tune but dont drive much without the tune

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Smart answer but I just am not that smart If that was the case I would say Cobra on top of the SS to match Packy. I have been at this current moment 10 months going on 11 without my car I ran into complications and currently am going through withdrawls from not having a V-8 to punch around
    I bought the Cobra because in December it was a helluva good price for what it had in it and I needed a car to bring to the Nederlands. Since my T/A would not meet the standards here. The Cobra's are good buy and for fairly cheap these days! Fun cars too!

I would say good clutch and save for a tune and exhaust.
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post

Frost can't properly tune the car without him in it...Mail Order Tunes are for getting close to what is needed, just enough for the car to run, but you need a proper full day tuning to get the car running PROPERLY. So to get the car running, you need a clutch so you can drive it (for a tune, the tuner sits in your passenger seat and tunes the car for a few hours while you're driving). If you don't have the exhaust you want and get it tuned and change the exhaust later, you're changing the aspects of the tune and you won't be at your full potential. In your case, you have no exhaust, so there is no option, you NEED and exhaust before the tune, cause if your tuner (whether it be Frost or not), will have to tune the car for open headers (not a good idea in the first place), and when you slap an exhaust on there, you're adding restriction that is not in the tune and your car won't run properly.
    exactly....

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post

Almost to a "t" what I was thinking

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

u can always do the tune after the engine is in, get the engine in and ready to go then do the tune

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Yup.. clutch so the car is movable.. then slap in some exhaust and take her to the tuner.. done.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I have my LS7 clutch sitting right by me Now I just need to do master/slave cylinder which will be coming next week and the motor is in Then doing tune, then exhaust. Anyone know where I can get a 20' Stick of 3" titanium and better yet....... who can weld it. I have had 5 exhaust systems on this car and hated every one. This next system I want to be my last

Thread Information