Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Pulled over for tail light?!

I was a passenger in my friends car last night. We stopped at the local watering hole for a couple drinks. We left and were pulled over about 1 mile from the bar. The officer came to the window and asked to see his license and insurance papers. Obviously he could smell that we had been drinking…each had 3 beers. The officer asked if he could step out of the car and do a sobriety test which Steve said sure. He passes the test (it’s snowing like a bitch, coming down at a rate of about 2 inches per hour) he then asked if he would blow into the tester, he says yes and blew a .03. the officer says, “OK, you can be on your way, drive careful and have your tail light fixed, it’s out”. Here’s what’s strange about the tail light, on each side there are 13 bulbs in the shape of and arrow left side pointing left and right side pointing right. On the left side ONE of the 13 lights was out. I kinda think it wasn’t real fair.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

sounds like entrapment... he was probably scoping out the bar...

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    I was a passenger in my friends car last night. We stopped at the local watering hole for a couple drinks. We left and were pulled over about 1 mile from the bar. The officer came to the window and asked to see his license and insurance papers. Obviously he could smell that we had been drinking…each had 3 beers. The officer asked if he could step out of the car and do a sobriety test which Steve said sure. He passes the test (it’s snowing like a bitch, coming down at a rate of about 2 inches per hour) he then asked if he would blow into the tester, he says yes and blew a .03. the officer says, “OK, you can be on your way, drive careful and have your tail light fixed, it’s out”. Here’s what’s strange about the tail light, on each side there are 13 bulbs in the shape of and arrow left side pointing left and right side pointing right. On the left side ONE of the 13 lights was out. I kinda think it wasn’t real fair.
    Had he been over the limit - that one would be able to get dismissed I think.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I think the real question is... why drive a car that gives you 13 times the chances of getting pulled over for a tail light violation?

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I think the real question is... why drive a car that gives you 13 times the chances of getting pulled over for a tail light violation?

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Actually it would be 26, 13 per side. I really didn’t think you could be pulled over for that. I assumed the redundant lights would decrease your chances of getting pulled over. It's the way the car comes from the factory I believe....it's his sons car, his DD is RWD...we all know they're not go in the snow.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Actually it would be 26, 13 per side. I really didn’t think you could be pulled over for that. I assumed the redundant lights would decrease your chances of getting pulled over. It's the way the car comes from the factory I believe....it's his sons car, his DD is RWD...we all know they're not go in the snow.
    Well I imagine the law is worded in such a way that since each single lamp is technically a safety feature, and having a damaged or non-working safety feature is a violation of said law, even in a system that provides redundancies, thus being grounds for a citation.

It is technically safer, due to the fact that people will still be able to see that tail light if one or a few of the lamps cease to work, but that is concerning the safety of avoiding an accident, not the safety of avoiding a ticket.

However, regardless of the above, I'm sure the amount of bulbs was a determining factor in the cars cosmetic appearance above anything else What is it? Infiniti? Nissan? Those are the only models I recall with that number of visible separate bulbs.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Let's get technical.... they aren't "bulbs" they are most likely LED's and I haven't seen an LED lighting system yet that can last the long haul and not lose a few elements. I can't wait to start seeing Audis with ghetto looking blinking LED's in their fancy pants headlights. Suddenly that nice looking car will look like garbage.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Question.... Did he tell you first that he pulled you over for the tail light? If not, he had no probable cause to pull you over and immediately ask him to step out of the vehicle.... Unless he told you why first... Which then would make, if he had been over the limit(drinking) unmissable.... I think

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by toityme View Post
    Question.... Did he tell you first that he pulled you over for the tail light? If not, he had no probable cause to pull you over and immediately ask him to step out of the vehicle.... Unless he told you why first... Which then would make, if he had been over the limit(drinking) unmissable.... I think
    officers don't have to tell you first thing why they pulled you over...

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

He used that light to pull you over.
    Don't know why you would say its not fair. Its not like you got a ticket for it.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    He used that light to pull you over.
    Don't know why you would say its not fair. Its not like you got a ticket for it.

I don't think it's fair at all. There were twelve other bulbs that clearly were on, as the OP said. If all 13 bulbs were out, I'd say there's cause to pull the vehicle over.

Jad- what's your insight?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I know here in NJ a cop can use probable cause for anything.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Are they aftermarket light assembly's?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    I don't think it's fair at all. There were twelve other bulbs that clearly were on, as the OP said. If all 13 bulbs were out, I'd say there's cause to pull the vehicle over.

Jad- what's your insight?
    Read the part of my post concerning the law. Laws do not always equal what is necessarily fair or better. Also consider this: Sure, getting a ticket for having only 12 out 13 bulbs working may seem illogical, but conversely, what if all but one bulb were out? There would still technically be an operating tail light on that side of the car, which according to you should be enough to satisfy the law, but is it safe? Not at all.

Given that, how should the law be written? Should 7 be the minimum acceptable amount of working bulbs to be lit for safety concerns to keep the tail light above 50% operation? Should 10 be the minimum, to keep it above a "passing grade" of 70%? Should a new law be written for every single new tail light design that a car manufacturer can think up?

Having the law state that safety features must be working at full operation of their original designs not only simplifies the understanding of the law, but also prevents endless amounts of ambiguous and ridiculous arguments such as whether 6 bulbs or 7 bulbs should be the halfway cutoff point of acceptable standards for a 13-bulb tail light.

Just how I feel though, just sayin', ya feel me?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Are they aftermarket light assembly's?
    Nah it's probably something stock like this:

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

This is why I check all my lights at least once a week. When I get home at night, I have my lights set on a delay of 10 seconds so I can walk around my car and make sure everything works.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Also, LED's cannot be replaced individually. The entire assembly has to be replaced. Ask me how I know.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Also, LED's cannot be replaced individually. The entire assembly has to be replaced. Ask me how I know.
    Haha that's terrible.

White
    '10 ZR1

Read the part of my post concerning the law. Laws do not always equal what is necessarily fair or better. Also consider this: Sure, getting a ticket for having only 12 out 13 bulbs working may seem illogical, but conversely, what if all but one bulb were out? There would still technically be an operating tail light on that side of the car, which according to you should be enough to satisfy the law, but is it safe? Not at all.

Given that, how should the law be written? Should 7 be the minimum acceptable amount of working bulbs to be lit for safety concerns to keep the tail light above 50% operation? Should 10 be the minimum, to keep it above a "passing grade" of 70%? Should a new law be written for every single new tail light design that a car manufacturer can think up?

Having the law state that safety features must be working at full operation of their original designs not only simplifies the understanding of the law, but also prevents endless amounts of ambiguous and ridiculous arguments such as whether 6 bulbs or 7 bulbs should be the halfway cutoff point of acceptable standards for a 13-bulb tail light.

Just how I feel though, just sayin', ya feel me?
    akjfd;laejl;asjfgl;ajglasdasjlsjflflaflasfdlj, fine then

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information