Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Preventing a Credit Card theft

I applied for a new CC because my old one expired. usually in the past i would get them within the same week. My new CC took just over 2 weeks to arrive and I was getting worried that it might of gotten stolen or lost in the mail.

So I decided to test how safe the activation system works. On the card they require you to call from your home phone line. But instead of using my home line I used my cellphone with a free application that is available on iPhones and Android phones that allows anyone to fake their caller id.

Phone rings and a person answers the call. He asked for my name and I told him my name. (just like it is written on the card). Then he asked me for the 16 digit CC number. (once again its on the card). Then he said said that my card is activated and ready to be used immediately. That's it. just like that. I just activated a CC card with a $22,000 credit line.

That scary knowing that a theft can do the same. I thief can easily get my phone number of the yellow pages and if they would of asked for my zip, that would of been available on the envelope.

Guys be careful when ordering new CC cards. call with in a few days to confirm that it was mailed out.

White
    '10 ZR1

FWIW - I've always just simply called from my cell phone to activate mine. It's worked every time.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    FWIW - I've always just simply called from my cell phone to activate mine. It's worked every time.
    +1 here

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I think that is the issue he's addressing. It says right on the sticker that you need to call from your home phone to activate. Since you can activate the new card with a cell phone, that means that any idiot could intercept your new card, activate it and be using it in minutes

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I think that is the issue he's addressing. It says right on the sticker that you need to call from your home phone to activate. Since you can activate the new card with a cell phone, that means that any idiot could intercept your new card, activate it and be using it in minutes
    exactly

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

if you want to you could really mess with them. Call them back asking where it's at? What do you mean it's activated? How could I do such a thing if I never received it?....

Then point out how easy it would be for a thief if this had really happen.

silver
    2000 formula

22,000$ limit? WTF.......did you know its my B day soon

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    if you want to you could really mess with them. Call them back asking where it's at? What do you mean it's activated? How could I do such a thing if I never received it?....

Then point out how easy it would be for a thief if this had really happen.
    Nah, they'll just send out a new card and not give it a second thought.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

That's fantastic.

Black
    2005 GTO

CC security is a total joke! Anyone can use your card any time they want. Someone can steal your card go to best buy charge 22k to it and never be asked to see there ID. Even if they are asked for ID they do NOT have to provide it. The retail can NOT refuse the sale because an ID was not provided.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    CC security is a total joke! Anyone can use your card any time they want. Someone can steal your card go to best buy charge 22k to it and never be asked to see there ID. Even if they are asked for ID they do NOT have to provide it. The retail can NOT refuse the sale because an ID was not provided.
    Yes they can. Do it all the time. Per company rules.

Main reason we can is people dont sign their cards. If the card is signed then no but if not then we are allowed.
    Last edited by raynor139; 03-21-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I remember the days that when you used a credit card, you had to show ID. I think that because so many of us use debit cards on a daily basis instead of cash or checks, stores have relaxed the policy of asking for ID. I guess they figure it's too troublesome for it's cashiers to check ID for every customer...

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I remember the days that when you used a credit card, you had to show ID. I think that because so many of us use debit cards on a daily basis instead of cash or checks, stores have relaxed the policy of asking for ID. I guess they figure it's too troublesome for it's cashiers to check ID for every customer...
    Exactly. It's their job to take money, not to verify that the money is coming from the right person. That might cost the company some money! Fraud only helps businesses, because they still get to keep it right, even if you report the fraud and get reimbursed by the credit card company/bank...? If so, then yeah businesses have zero motivation to check/validate identity...

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Actually you can blame the credit card companies for people not checking ID. They actually tell people not to check ID so that it doesn't harm the user experience of the card. In fact as long as the card is signed businesses for the most part technically cant deny a purchase if the person has no ID. The credit card companies even have clauses in their contracts that say if we deny the purchase b/c of lack of ID we can be fined. The only time we can get away with it without repercussions is if the card isn't signed or if the person has see ID written on the back and even then it can be a stretch.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Actually you can blame the credit card companies for people not checking ID. They actually tell people not to check ID so that it doesnt harm the user experience of the card. In fact as long as the card is signed businesses for the most part technically cant deny a purchase if the person has no ID. The credit card companies even have clauses in their contracts that say if we deny the purchase b/c of lack of ID we can be fined. The only time we can get away with it without repercussions is if the card isnt signed or if the person has see ID written on the back and even then it can be a stretch.
    That's incredibly lame. Wow. 'Don't harm the user experience of the card'... sheez... Yeah checking my picture ID would add 10 seconds to the process, and really piss me off...

And the signature is so lame. I have been told before that they wouldn't accept the card if I didn't sign it, even with my picture ID. I signed the card in front of them, then they took it and compared the signature on the card to the signature on the receipt. Duh, of course they matched. Yeah that proves something...

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

its the other way around. CC companies have people who purposely do some shopping and see if ID was requested. Look at it this way. First of all, no place of business would want to lose a partners like VISA or AmEx. Secondly, if someone stole a CC card and used it. you will most likely get reimbursed, but the CC company still loses the money because the item purchased is gone.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by FSANE View Post
    its the other way around. CC companies have people who purposely do some shopping and see if ID was requested. Look at it this way. First of all, no place of business would want to lose a partners like VISA or AmEx. Secondly, if someone stole a CC card and used it. you will most likely get reimbursed, but the CC company still loses the money because the item purchased is gone.
    Yeah that was my first point, as to why businesses don't care... they get to keep the money. The CC companies should be more security minded as they will take the hit, but as this thread shows, not so much...

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Ive been told by multiple companies that we are not allowed to check ID per CC rules unless not signed. In fact at one we were very digilant about checking ID but were told by CC to stop after they received several compaints.

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Ive been told by multiple companies that we are not allowed to check ID per CC rules unless not signed. In fact at one we were very digilant about checking ID but were told by CC to stop after they received several compaints.
    Complaints? About trying to make sure a customer's credit/identity is safe? That is fricking lame. People really are stupid. Stupid and lazy. That's the real moral of all of this.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Complaints? About trying to make sure a customer's credit/identity is safe? That is fricking lame. People really are stupid. Stupid and lazy. That's the real moral of all of this.
    People are concerned about us stealing their personal information from their DL. Not like I couldnt figure any of it out quickly through other sources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information