Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Preparations for he winter slumber

I’ll be leaving my baby at home when I leave for school . What all do you guys do to your cars during and before they are in for the winter?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    I’ll be leaving my baby at home when I leave for school . What all do you guys do to your cars during and before they are in for the winter?

i drive it... leave it with me... i'll keep her healthy...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Winter?

What's that ??? LOL

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i drive it... leave it with me... i'll keep her healthy...
    Leave her with the Spazbot?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

it's fucking august, can we keep the winter-talk to a minimum please? It's just depressing!

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Winter?

What's that ??? LOL
    I would like to take her with me but where im going it snows so it looks like I'll be getting a little truck when I get there nothing special just something to get around in im going to miss her

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    it's fucking august, can we keep the winter-talk to a minimum please? It's just depressing!
    At least you'll be able to got to the garage and see you TA TSS

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    I would like to take her with me but where im going it snows so it looks like I'll be getting a little truck when I get there nothing special just something to get around in im going to miss her
    Where ya going?

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Where ya going?
    Cedar Rapids in Iowa

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

oh thats cool. cedar rapids is only like an hour and 45 minutes from me. i used to live bout 15 miles from there, so i know the area quite well. might wanna check out the website www.iowaautoforums.com its a website based in cedar rapids. lots of fbods on there too

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Here is a quote from a post on another board with some excellent advice:

Originally Posted by TABAHR
    Starting it every week is a terrible thing to do to it. The vast majority of wear inside your engine occurs at startup. In the winter, it is even worse because the oil is thick from the cold.

for a 5 month storage interval-----
    Put down some visqueen, park the car on it with a full tank of gas, no sta-bil is required for 5 month intervals, remove the battery, cover the car with a proper carcover and the pull the edges of the visqueen up the sides of the car and over the top. leave some of the cloth cover exposed on top so it can breathe and then use duct tape to secure the visqueen to the cloth cover. The visqueen wrapper will prevent ground moisture from getting up into the car and causing problems. Store the vehicle's battery in a warm location, but do not leave it sit on a concrete floor.

In the spring unwrap it, install the charged battery and change the oil. You may decide to prime the engine oil before starting it the first time. simply unplug the coil and crank it for several seconds.

For storage intervals greater in length--
    If you are storing it for longer periods (years), use sta-bil in the gas and remove the spark plugs. Put marvel mystery oil in all the cylinders until they are full. You might also want to add some packets of silica gell to the interior and remove the weight from the tires so they dont flat spot.

Visqueen is a clear plastic vapor barrier that insulators use when constructing homes. It is commony found at Home Depot, Menards or similar building supply stores.

It comes in a 3' roll but once it is unrolled it unfolds out to 15' wide. Plenty wide enough to wrap a car.

Here is a picture (link is bunk now) of my car in storage last winter. It comes out perfect every spring. Before I discovered the visqueen trick I had problems with my 88 Iroc getting some corrosion on its aluminum surfaces.

no more problems!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I leave mine ready to go anytime.

Winter will have some 60 degree days here...in which case I take the car out for a short time.

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    oh thats cool. cedar rapids is only like an hour and 45 minutes from me. i used to live bout 15 miles from there, so i know the area quite well. might wanna check out the website www.iowaautoforums.com its a website based in cedar rapids. lots of fbods on there too
    Tanks how is the city

Today 11:19 AM
    SexOnWheels Here is a quote from a post on another board with some excellent advice:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TABAHR
    Starting it every week is a terrible thing to do to it. The vast majority of wear inside your engine occurs at startup. In the winter, it is even worse because the oil is thick from the cold.

for a 5 month storage interval-----
    Put down some visqueen, park the car on it with a full tank of gas, no sta-bil is required for 5 month intervals, remove the battery, cover the car with a proper carcover and the pull the edges of the visqueen up the sides of the car and over the top. leave some of the cloth cover exposed on top so it can breathe and then use duct tape to secure the visqueen to the cloth cover. The visqueen wrapper will prevent ground moisture from getting up into the car and causing problems. Store the vehicle's battery in a warm location, but do not leave it sit on a concrete floor.

In the spring unwrap it, install the charged battery and change the oil. You may decide to prime the engine oil before starting it the first time. simply unplug the coil and crank it for several seconds.

For storage intervals greater in length--
    If you are storing it for longer periods (years), use sta-bil in the gas and remove the spark plugs. Put marvel mystery oil in all the cylinders until they are full. You might also want to add some packets of silica gell to the interior and remove the weight from the tires so they dont flat spot.

Visqueen is a clear plastic vapor barrier that insulators use when constructing homes. It is commony found at Home Depot, Menards or similar building supply stores.

It comes in a 3' roll but once it is unrolled it unfolds out to 15' wide. Plenty wide enough to wrap a car.

Here is a picture (link is bunk now) of my car in storage last winter. It comes out perfect every spring. Before I discovered the visqueen trick I had problems with my 88 Iroc getting some corrosion on its aluminum surfaces.

no more problems!

Thanks!

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

the city is very nice. lots to keep you occupied. although there are many ricers around too. but if u were to get on the website i listed earlier youll see alot of muscle ish cars. bunch of cobras, f bods and vettes to play with, and theres some nice people too. down town is still messed up from the flood in june, so its really shitty down there. abandoned houses, garbage all over the streets and what not. but thats simple just avoid that area

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Winter?

What's that ??? LOL
    come to PA in december... i'll show ya... infact... if we get some snow i'll show you how fun it is to drive a TA in it...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

What is this winter you speak of? Is it anything like snowbird season. There is no such thing as winter where I live.

On the other hand we do have SUMMER!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    What is this winter you speak of? Is it anything like snowbird season. There is no such thing as winter where I live.

On the other hand we do have SUMMER!
    You must be my neighbor...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    come to PA in december... i'll show ya... infact... if we get some snow i'll show you how fun it is to drive a TA in it...
    Good chance I'll be on the PA NY border...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Good chance I'll be on the PA NY border...
    I'm a displaced Los Angeles native currently living in the hottest city in the USA.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'm a displaced Los Angeles native currently living in the hottest city in the USA.
    I was born in Hollywood and raised here. But, all my family lives in NY and PA.

What city would that be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information