2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Possible to own a stock car?

So I have a new neighbor, and on my way home this morning, something bright orange catches my eye, so i circle the block and come back by

On my way back, i see a flat bed truck leaving and a guy in the driveway....Behind him is this

It was a drive by look, but it was in the driveway, but it was a full fiberglass body, tube frame, lexar windows, Goodyear slicks, everything looked perfectly NASCAR.

I've been in the pits i know what they look like, and it was exact...anyone know anything?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

With enough money, you can buy almost anything.

blue
    1999 TransAm

that would be cool to cruise down the highway in, ..imagine the looks! ...probably would need different tires though..

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Does your neighbor perhaps do some of the promotional stuff? I know around here there used to be a person who was responsible to haul the show-cars around to different promotional events (think back when Citgo was a sponsor). Anyway..neat nonetheless. See if you can drive it.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    So I have a new neighbor, and on my way home this morning, something bright orange catches my eye, so i circle the block and come back by

On my way back, i see a flat bed truck leaving and a guy in the driveway....Behind him is this

Click for full size

It was a drive by look, but it was in the driveway, but it was a full fiberglass body, tube frame, lexar windows, Goodyear slicks, everything looked perfectly NASCAR.

I've been in the pits i know what they look like, and it was exact...anyone know anything?
    Yes they go on sale often. They have sold several at Barret Jackson. They have also sold some at Mecham. Nascar Cup car bodys are full metal no fiberglass. If the car he has is full fiberglass then it is a repo or some other series. I have been in the pits and the garage myself. If they get in a wreck you see them banging the metal out. You can really see them doing it when trying to get the tire not to rub. Arca,Truck,Nationwide and Sprint series all use metal.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 06-11-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

What do you mean is it possible? Of course, there are every day average joes who race on the weekends and have stock cars. There are so many classes it gets confusing to know them all but I have friends who race tehre "dumbed" down stock cars.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    What do you mean is it possible?
    I was not going to take that route.. The cars from all the series are sold all the time. Cup use to hand down cars to the Nationwide series. But when they went with the COTF they were no longer the same. There is a guy on this forum who owns a Dale Sr car. The cars also go on auction from time to time at the race. They have auctions at every race to sell just about anything nascar (helmets,gloves,fire suits, damaged parts off cars, cars
    )...
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 06-11-2012 at 08:39 AM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Does your neighbor perhaps do some of the promotional stuff? I know around here there used to be a person who was responsible to haul the show-cars around to different promotional events (think back when Citgo was a sponsor). Anyway..neat nonetheless. See if you can drive it.
    That thing woiuld be impossible to drive on the street. It is slanted to run on an oval track, and even on the oval, it is hardish to control till you hit almost 80, then it smooths out.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    That thing woiuld be impossible to drive on the street. It is slanted to run on an oval track, and even on the oval, it is hardish to control till you hit almost 80, then it smooths out.
    They are not street legal to begin with. There are many car collectors out there that collect race cars. Heck I know Ferrari will let some people purchase a F1 race car. It comes with rules and not.. But to have F1 race car in your collection...

Ferrari will remold the car to fit your shape, teach you to drive it, service and maintain it, and replace anything you knock off it while getting the hang of it. In fact, there is a department at Ferrari that exists purely to look after the F1 cars of its customers.

Do understand this not buying a current season Ferrari F1. You can purchase F1 cars from last year to a few years back or more. Park it and show it. Or take it out to race. Yeah yeah money is a big factor but still. Heck you could buy a Michael Schumacher driven Ferrari and drive it yourself...
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 06-11-2012 at 07:57 PM.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post

I have no clue what you're talking about. Have you ever driven a stock car? And dont tell me about your Richard Petty driving experience, because then the answer would be no.

<---Raced oval track late models for years

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Hes a block over from me, and JUST moved in, so i havent met him, but if he has it outside again ill stop by and ask.

Black
    98 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I have no clue what you're talking about. Have you ever driven a stock car? And dont tell me about your Richard Petty driving experience, because then the answer would be no.

<---Raced oval track late models for years
    Are you comparing a dirt track late model and NASCAR?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 98camaro View Post
    there are late models that run on paved tracks. They're pretty bad ass too. Cost too much money to do that shit but I sure would love a shot behind the wheel at one. Hell.....even the stock class would be fun but again.....takes a lot of money to be competitive. The local track started an import class.....much cheaper to run as you basically take an import and swap the windows out for lexan and the fuel tank out for a cell and run what ya brung.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98camaro View Post

No, and I'm not at all sure how you got that from what I posted. As 0rion said, there are dirt and asphalt ovals, and most asphalt tracks have late model/sportsman and/or super late model divisions.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    They are not street legal to begin with. There are many car collectors out there that collect race cars. Heck I know Ferrari will let some people purchase a F1 race car. It comes with rules and not.. But to have F1 race car in your collection...

Ferrari will remold the car to fit your shape, teach you to drive it, service and maintain it, and replace anything you knock off it while getting the hang of it. In fact, there is a department at Ferrari that exists purely to look after the F1 cars of its customers.

Do understand this not buying a current season Ferrari F1. You can purchase F1 cars from last year to a few years back or more. Park it and show it. Or take it out to race. Yeah yeah money is a big factor but still. Heck you could buy a Michael Schumacher driven Ferrari and drive it yourself...
    buying an enzo will get you a ticket to be fitted for the seat... all theh rest is up to the buyer... i didn't know that about the F1 cars though!!! that is AWESOME!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

A wild Viper Driver appears

LSCyaL8R uses Formula 1 car

It's super effective!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

My civic is still a stock car.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post

So that's how Ferrari's get their outlandish price.

Thread Information