Pondering being a cop for a career. Help!

What kind of person would fit best for being a cop? I have friends that have made good careers out of being a cop first then being like an investigator(where the money is) and i just dont know if i would like that street cop lifestyle to begin. What do you guys know about being a street cop for a few years? How long do you typically have to be on the streets before you can move up?I have a degree so would that help?

Also, i hear theres alot of divorces with cops and their wives are always worrying,and i am married. I really like watching that stuff on t.v. and it always interests me but just not sure if it fits my personality. If i could just be hired to do crime scene stuff and investigative stuff that would be great but according to the recruiter thats not how it works.

Let me know what you guys know or if any of you are cops.

Blue

id contact lawdog,he will tell you everything plus some!!

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

I was and still maybe thinking about being a Cop....i think it fits me as well and also wanted to be a detective eventually. But the crime rate(like murders etc) is pretty low where i live. I can tell you that if i lived in Baton Rouge or New Orleans or some big City like that than NO! The bad things around here are drunk driving and such. 2 VERY close people to me where killed by drunk drivers and i would like to crack down on that around here. I can tell you if you like helping people and can deal with people in good manner than its for you. Now the only thing i would or will take personal would be thise domestic/spousel violence calls b/c im BIG against hitting woman and children. I would most likely treat those assholes a little more ruff.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

I have 3 cops in my family and they all love it. I was thinking about it too, still might. Its a thankless job though, hard to make friends that arent cops. Plus some people kind of get weird when your out on the town they ask what you do. They just say it a city jobs. I like it because every day is new and you always thinking. Plus you get a bonus for being in shape. Dont get fat behind a disk, and there a few perks like parking the red at your favorite burger stop. ha ha

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

my mom's dad was a cop and my dad was too. it is cool but stressful for sure. and then you get ass holes that dont like you just cuz you're a cop. divorce rate is high tho

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My uncle was a cop with the LAPD for 27 years. He ended up a Lt in the Vice dept of the Hollywood Division. Old boy has some good tales for sure.

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

don't do it if you love your wife.

I have first hand experience and its not a good one.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by FSANE View Post
    don't do it if you love your wife.

I have first hand experience and its not a good one.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tornado View Post
    id contact lawdog,he will tell you everything plus some!!
    I thought that lawdog/burn was really a janitor?

white/yellow
    96/2010 camaro ss

its not like a csi or cops episode. and divorce is only an option depending on how understanding your wife is. the hours are long, the job is thankless, and its not the "glam" that tv portrays it to be. i have worked at a pd for 5 years now as a civilian and im almost done with my testing so a uniform shall hopefully be soon. its fun sure, great benefits, but your stress management has to be good. hope this helps

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    you have to work as a street cop at least 3-4 years before you can go up. and wen you first start your shift will be afternoon or graveyard shift. seniors gets the morning shift. i am trying to apply to departments that hires right now. IMO. I have always wanted to be one and i will hopefully be one one day! and yes, I am married. if se loves me, she will understand the hours!

black
    2002 TA WS7

i am waiting to get into police academy here in good ole philadelphia and i am very excited about becoming a police officer even kno the crime and homicide rate is through the roof in this city

I saw one of the physical requirements is running a 1.5 mile in 12 in a half minutes, how hard is that? how fast of a pace do i need to keep on it? i was thinking about a decent pace for a mile then just blast the last half mile. I mean im sure it cant be that hard considering some of the blobs i see wearing a uniform.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

i was thinking about being a State Trooper..still think it would be an interesting job

Go for what interests you because from my personal expirences its not the money....its how you feel when you wake up and go to work and how you feel coming home form work. Money does matter dont get me wrong, but enjoying your everyday job and keeping your sanity is another thing.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
    I saw one of the physical requirements is running a 1.5 mile in 12 in a half minutes, how hard is that? how fast of a pace do i need to keep on it? i was thinking about a decent pace for a mile then just blast the last half mile. I mean im sure it cant be that hard considering some of the blobs i see wearing a uniform.
    Most people that are healthy and within their height to weight requirement can jog 1.5 miles within that time without preparing...but you'll probably be sick afterwards (nausas, dizzy, burning throat, etc). If you think about it that's about a 8 minute mile pace...which isn't walking by any means. If I was you i'd start running a few days a week...it's good for you anyway.

Black
    97 Formula

A college degree helps you move up the ranks faster. Military experience can help you if you want try for SWAT.

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    I thought that lawdog/burn was really a janitor?
    Is Lawdog/Burn one in the same???

Ignition Orange Metallic
    '08 G8 GT

I assume it's a gateway to the FBI as well, right? That's what I'm eyeing. . .

Thread Information