Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

The police sold me a illeagal vehical

The police sold me a illeagal vehical

I recently purchased a van on a online auction this van had the catalictic converter removed which is aganist a federal law, it’s gonna cost me $170. to have a catiliac converter installed and have a legal vehical and pass emmisions.

I have emailed the person that sold me (took my $) and explained the situation explaining if the van had a CC on it at the time of purchase and it went bad I would’nt be contacting them however they broke a federal law.

I have basicalley asked them to reinburst me the $170. to make the van legal selling a van w/out a CC.

edit 1 I purchased the van this Nonday morning
    and haven't had the CC installed yet.

edit2 they have a disclosure that all sales are as is, this can't be covered since it's a illegall van I would prefer to keep the van just think that they (Harris co. sheriffs dept.) should do the right and leagal thing.
    What do you Guy’s think about this unforchant situation
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 10-20-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP moved thread to AAG,

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'll assume that you acquired this van at price well below KBB. So, maybe just eat the cost of replacing the CAT? What did you end up paying for it?

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

So this auction was a police auction? You said you contacted the person, is that a police officer or one of their staff? If it was a private sale through an auction you will probably just need to eat the cost as you can sell pretty much whatever you want via privale sale.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

What happened to my post?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    What happened to my post?
    It was deleted. He needs advice. Should you like to help, please feel free to contribute.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

It's not illegal to buy or sell a used car/truck/suv that is missing parts or pieces... I'm not sure where you're getting that it's a federal law from...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

OK, "Helpful Hints from Hannah":

AFAIK, it's not against the law to sell a vehicle without a catalytic converter. It is against the law to operate a vehicle that was initially furnished with one upon city/county/federal roads without one. It happens all the time in areas where pollution controls on vehicles aren't checked vigorously. You're not the 1st person to have this happen. If the vehicle was sold "As-is" then they might not be liable. "Caveat Emptor" as it were.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 10-21-2014 at 01:18 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

buyer bewear always trumps everything else....unforchunately your not going to get far I don't think. You may get lucky and it won't hert to bring it up but don't be surprized if they polightly tell you to go pound sand.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I would look into the local laws at your DMV.

In CA it is the sellers responsibility if the car does not pass smog. I know he is not in CA, but, every state has their own laws.

Smog Certification

If the vehicle is over 4 years old, it is the seller's responsibility to provide proof of a current smog certification unless the vehicle registration was renewed with the California DMV within the past 90 days. Proof of smog certification is not required if the title to the vehicle is being transferred within a family.

If you do sell it without a smog certification and it doesn't pass, the seller is responsible for repairing it to the smog certification standards.

California DMV Regulations for Buying & Selling Vehicles at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    buyer bewear always trumps everything else....unforchunately your not going to get far I don't think. You may get lucky and it won't hert to bring it up but don't be surprized if they polightly tell you to go pound sand.
    I see what you did there...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I would look into the local laws at your DMV.

In CA it is the sellers responsibility if the car does not pass smog. I know he is not in CA, but, every state has their own laws.

Smog Certification

If the vehicle is over 4 years old, it is the seller's responsibility to provide proof of a current smog certification unless the vehicle registration was renewed with the California DMV within the past 90 days. Proof of smog certification is not required if the title to the vehicle is being transferred within a family.

If you do sell it without a smog certification and it doesn't pass, the seller is responsible for repairing it to the smog certification standards.

California DMV Regulations for Buying & Selling Vehicles at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple
    That's Smog Naziville for ya. In AZ it's totally different.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That's Smog Naziville for ya. In AZ it's totally different.
    As I said, every state has their own laws. The DMV is the best place to check

My son keeps telling me I should register my car in NV so I can modify it the way I'd like

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    As I said, every state has their own laws. The DMV is the best place to check

My son keeps telling me I should register my car in NV so I can modify it the way I'd like
    Lots of folks say I should have let the 02 remain registered in AZ. Problem with that is if you get caught living here (i.e., established residence) and are driving a car registered to you from another state in Cali for any length of time it's a whale of a fine ($500-1000 or more).

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Lots of folks say I should have let the 02 remain registered in AZ. Problem with that is if you get caught living here (i.e., established residence) and are driving a car registered to you from another state in Cali for any length of time it's a whale of a fine ($500-1000 or more).
    That is what I keep telling my son

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

If sold as is just pay up for the catalytic converter. You won't get anything back

Arctic White, red/gray

I have some cars registered in one of WIs northern counties where my grandparents live. We have a few counties up north where the populations are so low no emissions are required.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I have some cars registered in one of WIs northern counties where my grandparents live. We have a few counties up north where the populations are so low no emissions are required.
    That's typically what was done in AZ also. BUT, if you establish residency and don't have the registration of the vehicle switched to that state within 10 days it's a $585 fine (at least it was back in 2003 - don't ask me how I know this ).

In Cali it's just as bad if not worse. And there are NO counties in CA where Smog Check is not enforced (that I know of).

Arctic White, red/gray

I am a WI resident so I don't have to worry about that. Just have the car listed to an address in a northern county. 0 emissions FTW

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

my car is registered in another state...my truck is registered in Nashville. Nashville doesnt do a sniffer but they do a PCM scan and a visual look...I could probably put a little bit of work into my exhaust and pass the visual, but I'd rather not fool with it unless I just swap the whole system out.

FYI on this "illegal car situation" if the bill of sale says "as is" you are stuck paying for the converter...sorry man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information