Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit

Police Radar Beam Width

I got a ticket on the 4th for 53 in a 45 but I'm fighting it because I don't care what she says, I was not driving that fast. Anyway, she was about 1/2 a mile away when she said she clocked me and I've decided to fight the ticket in court. I already issued a subpoena for the video/audio footage but what I need to know is how wide the radar beam of a cop's radar is at certain distances. If you know the formula to calculate this information or know of a website that has it, please let me know. I've read that police radar guns normally have 11-18* beams so I've got that much information at least.

I've also read that the beam can be up to 200 feet wide at 1,000 feet away so this may get me out of the ticket not only because she couldn't identify my vehicle from that distance even if the radar got a lock, but because there were 2 other vehicles near me at the time. I was in a green Dodge Ram and there was a white Explorer following me and a charcoal Chevy truck coming toward me. Anyway, please post information here if you have it. Thanks.

White
    1998 Trans Am

yeah, also be sure to ask for the last time the gun was calibrated and when the last time the chic was trained/registered to run the gun, i know those are the most common ways to get out of it.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Ask for the calibration records for that particular gun and the training records for the LEO.

Be sure to go down to the station well in advance of your court date and ask for these. They'll get them to you when they get to it.

Be sure to make the request in writing and keep a copy for yourself to use in court as evidence of the request. Be sure to get it stamped received by the Desk Sgt.
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    Ask for the calibration records for that particular gun and the training records for the LEO.

Be sure to go down to the station well in advance of your court date and ask for these. They'll get them to you when they get to it.

Be sure to make the request in writing and keep a copy for yourself to use in court as evidence of the request. Be sure to get it stamped received by the Desk Sgt.
    +1... then send Spaz $500.00 for posting in your thread...

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    +1... then send Spaz $500.00 for posting in your thread...
    Is the paypal addy stil the same?

ryanclemmerispaztic@hotmail.com

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

A little more info about what happened would help?

Shit
    Thanks for the help guys but I still can't find that formula to calculate the width of a radar beam at that kind of distance.

9t8z28, I had just come out of a curve heading West and the officer was heading East toward me on a two lane road. She said she clocked me coming out of the curve and if that is true (thats why I issued the subpoena for the tape) she was AT LEAST 1/2 a mile away from me and the two other vehicles near me. Even if she did have a radar reading, she couldn't identify any vehicles from that distance. All I saw was a dot at that distance and I couldn't even tell what color her cruiser was until I was much closer.

The bitch also dinged the door with her heavy ass clipboard right before she left. Hopefully I can go after her personally for the damage because the half ass apology she gave isn't going to cut it.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuxOnTheFirstDate View Post
    Thanks for the help guys but I still can't find that formula to calculate the width of a radar beam at that kind of distance.

9t8z28, I had just come out of a curve heading West and the officer was heading East toward me on a two lane road. She said she clocked me coming out of the curve and if that is true (thats why I issued the subpoena for the tape) she was AT LEAST 1/2 a mile away from me and the two other vehicles near me. Even if she did have a radar reading, she couldn't identify any vehicles from that distance. All I saw was a dot at that distance and I couldn't even tell what color her cruiser was until I was much closer.

The bitch also dinged the door with her heavy ass clipboard right before she left. Hopefully I can go after her personally for the damage because the half ass apology she gave isn't going to cut it.
    How tight were you and the other cars grouped together? Were any of them gaining on you or dropping back?

Shit
    The white Explorer was gaining but then slowed down and turned right just behind me (maybe 30 feet) as I was coming out of the curve. As I was coming out of the curve the charcoal Chevy truck was passing me so he was damn close to me as well.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Tell the cop to get bent and go back to cooking and cleaning.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuxOnTheFirstDate View Post
    The white Explorer was gaining but then slowed down and turned right just behind me (maybe 30 feet) as I was coming out of the curve. As I was coming out of the curve the charcoal Chevy truck was passing me so he was damn close to me as well.

Well the video will show that.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    Is the paypal addy stil the same?

ryanclemmerispaztic@hotmail.com
    pay pal is... ls1spaz@yahoo.com...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    depends on the angle... depending on the angle they could appear as going the same speed but they can still tell reguardless..

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

female cops think they are always right and guys dont know shit!!!

my buddy was making a right hand turn off a exit ramp, she was siting down hill 300 yards away and said he was over the white line, he went in and talked to her boss and my buddy didnt even havta go to court because they knew he'd get it thrown out......

Blue/silver
    2004 Dodge Ram 1500

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Odds are you will show up in court and she won't be there. They will have no evidence against you and the ticket will get thrown out the door. If she does show up odds are your going to be stuck with the ticket. I know that there are few people that represent themselves in court against a speeding ticket and win just because its one of the hardest things to prove you weren't doing when a police officer is saying you were. I would just say don't worry too much though, usually they have the court days for officers on their days off and they usually don't want to spend all day in court on their days off. Also I am not too sure if you have a place called POINTTS in your town, we have it here, it is ex cops that now fight peoples tickets in court. It does cost money but the advice they give you is free, you only have to pay for them if you decide to get them to represent you in court. I usually just go there ask them some questions get them to give me advice on what to do with the ticket and how to fight it and then i leave. I hope that helps.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

so she was driving toward you with her radar just aimed in that general direction??? I don't see how she could make a case from that

this might help you figure it out
    http://www.copradar.com/preview/chapt1/ch1d1.html

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wow, good info on that site...it almost sounds like there's a slimmer chance you'll be caught just looking at some of that info

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Actually it won't. I went on a ride along with a state cop a while back and the only time the audio and video come on is when the bar lights come on. All I have to go on is what she said to me during the stop.

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    wow, good info on that site...it almost sounds like there's a slimmer chance you'll be caught just looking at some of that info

Hell yeah, I've been checking those sites out too. Apparently a radar beam from a police radar gun will be roughly 200 feet wide 1,000 feet away from the gun. Since she was near 1/2 a mile away, I'm thinking the beam would have been 400-500 feet wide. I also read about a lawyer taking a radar gun to court and clocking the courtroom wall at 19 MPH lol. There are many things, especially at that distance, that can screw up a radar reading.

http://thegeorgiaspeedingticketkille...adar_works.php

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information