Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

Police harassment... I hope they burn in hell

I went out for my weekly blow off some steam drive, but made the mistake of going to Fort Collins, rather then just going for a drive in the mountains. The cop cuts off a couple cars then almost hits a truck, damn near runs him off the road, just to turn on his lights behind me. I knew he'd been following for awhile, so I had cruise set at 32 in a 30, seat belt on, and no reason to pull me over. He informs me that my liceanse plate isn't right... I think, isn't right!? WTF does that mean??? So he takes my info, then comes back 5-10 minutes later to inform me everything is ok, and I can leave, then walks away.

I ask him what the problem was and for the local police dept phone number, so I can file a harassment complaint. The officer laughs at me and tosses a card in my card, saying the numbers on there and walks away. So I pick up my phone and call the number, then get put on hold, while they get the supervisor. While on hold another cop comes up to my passenger side and tells me I need to move my car, so I tell him he can wait until I'm off the phone, because I don't want a ticket for driving while on the phone. He tells me to MOVE MY CAR. I tell him to hold... Long story short, I got a tour of the police station as well as a harassment grievence with the Fort Collins police dept.

I'm fed up with being profiled for driving a sports car, as well as harassed while just going for a drive... I really like to burn things...

White
    2000 Trans AM

I've never been pulled over due to what I drive.
    So he pulled you over, and things checked out. Why couldn't you be satisfied you have an active police officer in your community and be happy he's actually doing his job.
    As far as the phone.... you're wrong on that one. Your phone call could of waited. yes the police pulled you over but thier business is doen and you needed to move. Driving isn't a right its a privledge. Sorry to sound brash but you could of avoided the trip down town.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

It's not harrassment when it's that cops first time pulling you over. Sure if he sat on your street corner everyday and pulled you over non-stop than yea.

You were wrong for staying there on the phone...being on the side of the road is a hazard in many ways. There's a time and place for everything.

You can argue whether or not he had cause to pull you over but you need to know your local laws before making a big stink. It won't go anywhere anyway...he'll give his reason and that will be that.

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    well, you should have moved your car when he asked for it. it is NEVER a good idea to fight or dick around with a cop on the side of the road. it will always bring you more headache. Just do what they say and file a complaint. thats the smartest thing you can do.

A police officer HAS TO have a probable cause to pull anybody over and you have right to ask the officer why you were pulled over and if there were no probably cause, then you should complain about it. Harassment do occur, handle it the right way. to dick around with an officer on the side of the road is not the right nor smart way.

good luck.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

You admit you were speeding...that gave him the right to pull you over. He ran the numbers, no ticket. Why bitch about it. I've been pulled over before when the cop has openly said as long as your information checks out you will be good to go. Just be happy your car isn't "pull me over red!"

Black
    2000 WS6

I wouldn't say HAS TO HAVE Probable Cause to pull you over. In Indiana, we don't have to have probale cause. So making a general statement like that is inapporpriate. Especially when each state makes their own laws.

However, Harassment?? Not sure how that is harassment. In most states the BMV controls the Registration and Driver's License records, and in Indiana it's a real joke. I am sure this easily could have been where an intial run of your license shows something, an upon further inspection, i.e. a match with documented registration and so forth, found nothing wrong.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

No, I was NOT speeding, like I said, and he had no probable cause for pulling me over. The truck in the lane next to mine had a headlight out, yet I get pulled over for NO reason, other then there supposedly being a problem with my plates. There was a car parked on the road in front of where I was pulled over, so I was not a hazard or in the way. A car was stolen in AZ with the same license plate number as mine, but AZ plate not CO. Come to find out that was why I got pulled over...

Last time I got pulled over for my license plate light being out, which it wasn't. I'm just fed up with police abusing their power around here. The one that gets me the most is how they turn on their lights to run a red light, then turn them back off...
    Last edited by Sas; 12-20-2009 at 07:51 AM.

Silver
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

"knew he'd been following for awhile, so I had cruise set at 32 in a 30"

sounds like you were speeding to me.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Sas View Post
    I knew he'd been following for awhile, so I had cruise set at 32 in a 30, seat belt on, and no reason to pull me over.
    No, I was NOT speeding, like I said, and he had no probable cause for pulling me over.
    Anything over the speed limit is speeding. Sorry to tell you. I had a friend get fined for going 3mph over the speed limit, and he had a clean record up till that point. His only crime was having out of state plates.

White
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by Krazydan View Post
    "knew he'd been following for awhile, so I had cruise set at 32 in a 30"

sounds like you were speeding to me.
    agreed speeding....
    darn cops doing thier jobs.... wtf

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

I wouldn't have been mad had he told me "I'm pulling you over for speeding", however he pulled me over becuase "something is wrong with your plates." And I didn't get arrested, when I talked to the supervisor on the phone he asked me to come down and he'd look into why exactly I was pulled over, and why the cop was laughing at me. While he was trying to figure out the reason, he gave me a tour of the station. In Colorado it's less then half a point with no fine for doing 5 or less over the limit, so technically no ticket could have been issued and they won't pull you over if your doing 5 or less over.
    EDIT: Larimer county I should say, rather then Colorado

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I know in north carolina the police officer has to have probable cause, and I cant remember the name of the road but its in gaston county I was doing the speed limit got pulled over to have the cop tell me to go faster than the speed limit cause doing the speed limit causes wrecks in that area. And I asked him what if I didnt he told me he would give me a ticket for going to slow so I just took the offer to drive the same speed as everyone else lol and get a freebie. It is also nice knowing cops in your area to cause you can get a little bit of insight into what they see everyday, and the bullshit they put up with. Cause to tell you the truth I wouldnt have sit their and argued with you either I would arrested you for disorderly conduct to. Sometimes you just have to bite your tounge and go on with life cause its not worth the pain in the ass, expecially with a cop cause the law 99.9999% of the time will take his side over yours.

Impounded
    2000 firechicken

Quote Originally Posted by jamessr View Post
    agreed speeding....
    darn cops doing thier jobs.... wtf
    The radar as well as your car's speedo has some room for error. Most officers I know will not pull you over unless you are doing 7mph or greater over the speed limit.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I went out for my weekly blow off some steam drive, but made the mistake of going to Fort Collins, rather then just going for a drive in the mountains. The cop cuts off a couple cars then almost hits a truck, damn near runs him off the road, just to turn on his lights behind me. I knew he'd been following for awhile, so I had cruise set at 32 in a 30, seat belt on, and no reason to pull me over. He informs me that my liceanse plate isn't right... I think, isn't right!? WTF does that mean??? So he takes my info, then comes back 5-10 minutes later to inform me everything is ok, and I can leave, then walks away.

I ask him what the problem was and for the local police dept phone number, so I can file a harassment complaint. The officer laughs at me and tosses a card in my card, saying the numbers on there and walks away. So I pick up my phone and call the number, then get put on hold, while they get the supervisor. While on hold another cop comes up to my passenger side and tells me I need to move my car, so I tell him he can wait until I'm off the phone, because I don't want a ticket for driving while on the phone. He tells me to MOVE MY CAR. I tell him to hold... Long story short, I got a tour of the police station as well as a harassment grievence with the Fort Collins police dept.

I'm fed up with being profiled for driving a sports car, as well as harassed while just going for a drive... I really like to burn things...
    You are going to have a hard long miserable life.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    You are going to have a hard long miserable life.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Anything over the speed limit is speeding. Sorry to tell you. I had a friend get fined for going 3mph over the speed limit, and he had a clean record up till that point. His only crime was having out of state plates.
    Not a crime anywhere in the United States of America.

Anyways, speeding is speeding. For those of you who undertsand what AHJ stands for, it means whatever they have to say goes. Like it or not, they are paid to know the law better than almost every citizen. He can make up any probable cause he wants to and it will stand up in court because they will always trust the judgement of a police officer over an average citizen. Just a fact of life.

If you mouth off to them, expect it back 10 fold. I am always honest and repectful to cops, wether I was doing something right or wrong. I've pulled out of parking lots fish tailing like I just bought the car, right in front of a cop. He asked if it was too much car for me to handle (lol), I didn't respond to his comment just told him I was driving like dick and I didn't get a ticket.

Not trying to be a dick, but sometimes you get what your asking for...

Red
    2001 ws6

u hate cops until your going to need one......

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Lighten up, ..., Learn that they are on your side, especially the next time you really need one on your side, ...

#1) You admitted this was your 'blow off some steam drive', ..., So why wouldn't they have some reason to pay attention to your driving?
    B) You admitted speeding in black & white, no matter how much. In a court of law, you should receive a citation no matter what you think the law says about 'how many over over'.
    Third) Correct, the side of a highway is not a safe place to make phone calls unless it's an emergency. I don't recall you saying that is was an emergency to call the supervisor.

Anyway, ..., back to the beginning, Lighten up, Relax, forget about it & go on without worrying about someone following you.

Wait a minute, ..., who was that? *check behind you*

You didn't get a ticket... so why not let it go, leave and forget about it... now your causing trouble and I have cop friends, they stick together. I'd suggest driving in the mountains and not going back where you were. Next time they will get ya for something.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

I understand what alot of you are saying, and I probley will have a long and miserable life, but my time is valuable to me and when people waste it it pisses me off. I wasn't parked on a highway either, I was parked infront of a house off the road. I just get sick of police abusing their power around here. It was a Saturday night, go pull over the guy running one head light, or look for drunks, but don't give some lame excuse about there maybe being a problem with my license plate on my car. The supervisor did apologize to me for the officers being unprofessional, and I did show them respect, until I was laughed at and yelled at.

For those with friends that are police, that's good, there may be some good cops out there. I just wish they had some around here, and I don't hate police, I just hate the ones that abuse their power.
    Last edited by Sas; 12-20-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information